Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1417728

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 351 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra Chew was such a fun read.
Post 352 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Purchased for cover price 1988.
34 years later, a press, a grade; and I'd say it was a smart purchase on that day in '88.

Post 353 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
34 years later, a press, a grade; and I'd say it was a smart purchase on that day in '88.

Tough to find in 9.8. It’s worth a pretty penny in that condition. Congratulations!
Post 354 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Killer book and very cool that it was kept in such high grade for all these years! 🍻
Post 355 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 - Beautiful! I have it’s twin in a CBCS slab that I also purchased new back in the day. If I was smart, I would have bought more than one copy!
Post 356 IP   flag post
@esaravo If all us hobbyists could just go back in time... what a different world it would be for us.
Post 357 IP   flag post
Collector Jack_Napier private msg quote post Address this user
Is Batman #423 hot right now just because of the Todd McFarlane cover?
Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Napier

It’s scarce in 9.8. But yes. The cover is the draw.
Post 359 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I...Am. The Bat-Manuel.
Post 360 IP   flag post
Collector Jack_Napier private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

I wonder if this will be the new trend to see non-key issues go up in value just based on cover appeal. I noticed that FF #243 has significantly increased in value and it is not a key issue, just has an amazing cover with Galactus fighting everyone.
Post 361 IP   flag post
uuuuummmm. The cover makes it a key? Yeah?
Post 362 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
It's already happened....SS4 and Batman 251 come to mind.
Post 363 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

I wonder if this will be the new trend to see non-key issues go up in value just based on cover appeal. I noticed that FF #243 has significantly increased in value and it is not a key issue, just has an amazing cover with Galactus fighting everyone.

There are a number of books that go places on the basis of the cover art. Superman #233 (Neal Adams), Airboy #5 (1987 - Dave Stevens), Batman #227 (Neal Adams), and Incredible Hulk Special #1 (Jim Steranko) are examples of books with classic covers that are primarily known for the cover art. FF #243, in addition to having a great Byrne cover, is also one that is tough to find in high grade thanks to the white cover, so high grade copies are really pricey.
Post 364 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The story in Batman 251 is great. It turns the Joker back into a homicidal maniac after being a buffoon for years.
Post 365 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The story in Batman 251 is great. It turns the Joker back into a homicidal maniac after being a buffoon for years.

Yes, that is true...so it's a key book not solely based on the cover. Good call! 🍻
Post 366 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Love this cover. I regret not picking up a newsstand 9.6 for around $250 5yrs ago before pricing went out of control especially newsstands.

My buddy got his copy signed at NYCC and Todd forever ruined this cover for us. Notice how he missed continuing the moon towards the upper left of Batman's cape. You're welcome, you can never unsee it
Post 367 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
My buddy go his copy signed at NYCC and Todd forever ruined this cover for us. Notice how he missed continuing the moon towards the upper left of Batman's cape. You're welcome, you can never unsee it

That is sooooo cool of a story!
Post 368 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My buddy got his copy signed at NYCC and Todd forever ruined this cover for us. Notice how he missed continuing the moon towards the upper left of Batman's cape. You're welcome, you can never unsee it

Actually, it looks like Mcfarlane drew the line for the edge of the moon, but it was colored wrong. Looking at GCD, the colorist for the cover was Anthony Tollin. I'd say Todd is not responsible for that one.

Post 369 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Actually, it looks like Mcfarlane drew the line for the edge of the moon, but it was colored wrong. Looking at GCD, the colorist for the cover was Anthony Tollin. I'd say Todd is not responsible for that one.

I was gonna say the same thing!
Post 370 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 that is fantastic! Congrats!
Post 371 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 372 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Some old-school Jack Kirby from his Atlas Comics days. This is the only 'Atlas' I have...for now. LOL

Post 373 IP   flag post

Post 374 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up the Dracula book with a nice clean record at the Capitol City Comic Con in Lansing.
Thank You Shelby for the pass. I also picked up 3 foreign editions from him (Hot Key Comics/HFQ comics). I really like the UK Fantastic Four book. It is magazine size and reprints part of FF#1. From 1977. Pretty clean copy.
Check out their What Not page for foreign editions comics and more.

Post 375 IP   flag post
Knocked a few books off the want list. Now if I could just get better at taking pictures…

Post 376 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books! Love those great Detectives.
Post 377 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977 I'd take them out of the plastic bag, then take a photo of them during the day in natural light and the photos come out fine.
Post 378 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977 I would also recommend going straight over the top from about 2ft away and then cropping the photo.
Post 379 IP   flag post
@southerncross @BrianGreensnips Appreciate it! Yeah, I need to start taking pictures before putting them in their new mylar homes.

@Byrdibyrd Thanks! Been looking for a nice copy of 'Tec 395 for awhile. I'd put it at about a 7.0. Got these in an auction, and I was surprised how nice the 'Tec 377 was. That's probably about an 8.0. At some point I'll have them pressed and graded but waiting for TATs to improve.
Post 380 IP   flag post
598013 999 30