Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Check this video out do you agree with grade?17722

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
https://youtu.be/4KMvVUAO_wQ

Yea I know what I’m thinking what does everyone else think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Charity grade
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Charity grade

I have the same book with 1 spine tick and it’s a 9.6 CBCS. Lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS always graded tougher CGC is a joke
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Vrishnak private msg quote post Address this user
Watched the vid. Not a true 9.8 and I'd be less thrilled than the dude in the video.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher5866 private msg quote post Address this user
That’s crazy! I had a something is killing the children #1 with maybe one spine tick barely visible and I got a 9.6! Why couldn’t I have gotten the same guy who graded his book?!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’ve started watching a lot of these type of videos and it’s a recurring theme. CGC giving 9.8 to a lot of books with spin ticks and one even had a bent corner with a couple of spin ticks.

I’m really scared about buying any Cgc slabs. Cgc reminds me of the old pgx grading.

What do you all think?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Number chase much?

I agree 9.8s have flaws when you include the magic 9.9/10.0 but not multiple spine ticks and rubbing.
Good for him though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher5866
That’s crazy! I had a something is killing the children #1 with maybe one spine tick barely visible and I got a 9.6! Why couldn’t I have gotten the same guy who graded his book?!
I have a CBCS pressed 9.8 with a ~1mm color breaking spine tick. The rest of the book is immaculate and would have likely scored 9.9 or 10 without it. I thought for second maybe labels got swapped, but mine was the only copy on the population report at the time.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Number chase much?

Why because I’m watching Cgc unboxing videos?

Not good for him because if he sells it and you buy it you will be pissed off about it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
lol @ "Third, this is a personal investment. I think this book is going to keep going up like crazy."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Just ridiculous. I can see a single spine tick with no other flaws netting a 9.8 but multiple ticks plus light rubbing? Come on! That and if I got a slab back with a piece of schmutz inside that showed as much as that bit of crud he had in there, I'd send it back and tell them to get that crap out of there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Number chase much?

Why because I’m watching Cgc unboxing videos?

Not good for him because if he sells it and you buy it you will be pissed off about it.
that was not directed at you. It was a snide comment toward the video. His reaction was “omg a 9.8 that’s amazing!” Instead of “really; a 3 point gift upgrade?”

Still good for him. The buyer for that book is buying the 9.8 not book. Guaranteed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Why folks purchase graded Modern books I'll never understand.

I've seen enough of these type of videos to know I can do just as bad a job grading as the "professionals" without paying exponential amount.
If this guy sells the book, some poor soul will pay nearly $3K for this <cough, choke> 9.8.
I pity the fool
Post 14 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
That whole video pisses me off. Maybe it's also a byproduct of getting so many new employees and new graders. There will always be differing opinions on grading but even a non-trained person could see the defects and it still got a 9.8?. If that's going to be the new standard then we should be seeing more books getting 10's. What a joke and that speaks volumes once again about quality control. The guy that made the video should have kept his mouth shut and quietly turned his profit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Couple things.

1) can anyone see the defects from the video? I thought I did but then not… it was reflection. I can’t see any marks.

2) I pulled a couple CBCS 9.8s of the same book and saw some (minor) defects too. A 9.8 isn’t perfect.

Anyone think that a more “controversial” video creates more hype and views?

Not saying one way or the other, I just didn’t see much in the vid. I didn’t inspect it closely.
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I had the money and patience, I would love to take 30 Modern comics, and just continue to submit them over and over and over again.... 30x; each comic, spanning years and plot the results.

I'm reasonably confident with high likelihood that the results would be prompting the typical response: "well it's all subjective".
Which is exactly the response to expose this pyramid scheme of modern grading silliness.

But I'm going to tow the line how graded moderns are a great thing for the hobby. It gives us a grade that we can all be confident with is the grade.... lol. I need to continue to make money on this junk.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave
1) Guy didn't zoom in on the defects; he just talked about them. The thing that I saw was the piece of whatever that he pointed out inside the capsule. That was pretty clear. The rest of it we have to take his word for, but it doesn't make sense for a collector to talk up defects that aren't there.

2) No, a 9.8 isn't perfect, and if it were it'd be a 9.9 or a 10. The problem is this guy calls out multiple defects (more than one spine tick and a light colour rub) and that should make the book less than a 9.8 automatically.

I think this guy may be a clown. This is supposed to be an investment book for him and he leaves a bit of crud inside the capsule? If it's an investment, that means you're going to sell it for profit at some point, and while the gift grade from CGC will forgive a lot in the eyes of potential buyers, a piece of crud inside the capsule with the pricey investment isn't going to impress anyone. Also, last I checked, you should talk your investments up, not down. "Here's this awesome, pricey book that I have with a great grade but multiple defects that shouldn't be present with that grade, and oh yeah, there's also a piece of schmutz in there that shows up really well against the black in the title! Check it out! Wanna buy my awesome investment book for top dollar?! What?!! Why not?!!"
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Davethebrave
1) Guy didn't zoom in on the defects; he just talked about them. The thing that I saw was the piece of whatever that he pointed out inside the capsule. That was pretty clear. The rest of it we have to take his word for, but it doesn't make sense for a collector to talk up defects that aren't there.

2) No, a 9.8 isn't perfect, and if it were it'd be a 9.9 or a 10. The problem is this guy calls out multiple defects (more than one spine tick and a light colour rub) and that should make the book less than a 9.8 automatically.

I think this guy may be a clown. This is supposed to be an investment book for him and he leaves a bit of crud inside the capsule? If it's an investment, that means you're going to sell it for profit at some point, and while the gift grade from CGC will forgive a lot in the eyes of potential buyers, a piece of crud inside the capsule with the pricey investment isn't going to impress anyone. Also, last I checked, you should talk your investments up, not down. "Here's this awesome, pricey book that I have with a great grade but multiple defects that shouldn't be present with that grade, and oh yeah, there's also a piece of schmutz in there that shows up really well against the black in the title! Check it out! Wanna buy my awesome investment book for top dollar?! What?!! Why not?!!"

You had me laughing so hard at this. You are right. What’s funny is I think he stole the name comic hoarder from a comic shop 2 hours away from him. But I don’t really care about that lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I agree but consider the discussion and additional views because of his commentary.

Not saying it was accurately graded. No idea. Just know that I didn’t see anything useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Davethebrave

Post 20 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten 9.8's before from CGC that shouldn't have been. They've had multiple spine ticks, some color-breaking, corners chaffed, rounded, split, etc. , noticeable scratches, bent corner tips, even missing corners. One had a 3/16" tear at the top front. The bent corners could have occurred during return shipping, SCS, especially if there is an overhang, but the other defects were there with their hand up at the time of grading, and ignored.

The problem I had with them being 9.8's was trying to sell them. I take good photos, so that works against me here. Most people will pass it by after seeing some of the defects. If someone buys it at a 9.8 price, they probably didn't look it over very carefully before pulling the trigger. Then they get it, see the actual situation, and return it.

The only way to move them is to offer them at a price that is roughly at the apparent grade. And even then, the buyer has a dysfunctional product. They are in the same situation. It's a mess. You are much better off with a comic that is 9.4 being graded a 9.4 than if it is graded higher or lower than 9.4. Both of those alternatives cost you money.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
You are much better off with a comic that is 9.4 being graded a 9.4 than if it is graded higher or lower than 9.4

Exactly this. I have a book with a white cover that has some foxing and it's really Really obvious. CGC graded it a 9.8 anyway. What am I supposed to do with it? There's no way I don't disclose the appearance of the book, which means I'm going to lose money on a sale. I didn't win the lottery when I got a gift grade, I got stuck with a white elephant.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Queue in the dismissive responses:
1. Yea but It's all subjective
2. Yea but they grade so many books they're bound to have a few mistakes
3. Yea but Buy the book; not the grade.

All 3 are definitely relevant to the issue
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 happy birthday buddy
Post 24 IP   flag post
600886 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?