Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern Age

Auction increments at mycomicshop17715

It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I did a search to find this answer, on mycomicshop's site and here in the forum, but no luck.

New to bidding at mycomicshop, looking for info from the experienced buyers. What are the bidding increments - same as eBay or will $1 more beat you at any level at mycomicshop?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
After $100 it's $5 increments.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
After $100 it's $5 increments.

After $100 it's $5 increments all the way up, even into the thousands? And if there's a bid near the end of the auction, they add 3 minutes?

You'd think there would be info on that at the mcs site. Is it me, or did they hide it very well?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Right here would have been a good place to put the info:

Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's at the bottom of this page:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/auctions/bidderagreement

Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks, @flanders. I see that it is the same as eBay, once you hit $100. Ebay has 3 other smaller increments if under $100, but then the 2 match up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that $1 more will beat your bid if it was put in as max bid before your bid. For example, if someone put in $141 while the book is at $50...I'm quite sure it will beat out a later bid of $140.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I believe that $1 more will beat your bid if it was put in as max bid before your bid. For example, if someone put in $141 while the book is at $50...I'm quite sure it will beat out a later bid of $140.

That's the way it works on eBay, so probably true at mcs, too. That can happen by sheer luck (bad luck), but it's kind of a rare thing. I think it's more likely on eBay because people bid at the last second, no extension.

The way I understand it at mcs, if an earlier proxy bid beat yours by $1, you could still do a live bid at the next increment to beat it. IF you are there to do it in real time. If it's proxy vs. earlier $1 higher proxy, you lose.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
There's no sniping at MCS either because last second bids extend the auction. If you're there in real time you will always have a chance to bid again. And yes, a secret high bid will outbid all lower ones regardless of when placed, same as feeBay.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MyComicShop private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like you've all covered this all correctly for me.

As Flanders posted, the bid increments are listed on the bidder agreement page https://www.mycomicshop.com/auctions/bidderagreement

And as suggested by chester15, I've added the bid increment info to https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/bidding
Post 10 IP   flag post
597922 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?