Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Shipping insurance?17704

Collector Hoarding_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Submitting my 1st books in about a year and I get to the payment and I see "These packages are completely uninsured by CBCS. Any insurance is your own responsibility." and a checkbox to pay for insurance.

Is this new? Has shipping insurance never been included and I just never noticed?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting 🤔 I always thought it was built into the pricing on the chart. That’s why that had it broken up by total value of books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Elvinv - That’s how it used to be, before the tiers and membership all changed a few months ago. Now it just doesn’t make any sense.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
They should just build it into the cost of shipping. They exclusively use FedEx, so they can put in the calculations for the cost based on weight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Elvinv - That’s how it used to be, before the tiers and membership all changed a few months ago. Now it just doesn’t make any sense.

I've had a while to make a decent number of submissions since the tiers were changed. The two worst changes for customers are the insurance situation and the fee structure for books valued over $5000. Of those two, the insurance situation is far and away the worst because it affects most submissions. Simply put, CBCS's price for insurance coverage is ridiculously expensive.

Beckett is constantly pushing collectibles insurance through Collectibles Insurance Services and if you plan on many submissions or even just a couple of high value submissions to CBCS purchasing a collectibles policy is wise. Because the policies include some shipping insurance.

CBCS - if they are going to charge such high rates for insurance - should offer Registered Mail as an option. Like CGC does.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to add the insurance at checkout which shows a charge for $24.00 but it won't allow me to check the box and then advises that CBCS does not provide insurance?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
I'm trying to add the insurance at checkout which shows a charge for $24.00 but it won't allow me to check the box and then advises that CBCS does not provide insurance?

I had this happen early on - just a week or so after CBCS changed over to the new pricing tiers. But not since then.

First you should check for the obvious things. Make sure you have selected the return address, payment method and shipping method. It's easy to miss a box.

With my submission - and I assume they fixed it as I have not encountered it since - it was:

I had a submission of a dozen or so Modern Tier books and one Vintage book. On the check out page - where you are stuck at - the Vintage book was on top, Moderns below. I was just trying stuff to see what might work. I removed (deleted) the Vintage book (the one on top) and then went back and reentered the information for the book I deleted. This time it defaulted to the bottom on the checkout page and I was able to check the box for insurance.

If all else fails receiving is usually pretty good about noting and entering corrections. So you could finalize the order, print out the submission form and write in big red letters something to the effect of:
I WANT INSURANCE BUT ONLINE SUBMISSION WOULD NOT LET ME ADD IT. PLEASE ADD INSURANCE AT COST OF $24 TO THIS ORDER.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting thing about their new shipping, handling and insurance charges. I tested a submission with $1,900 value and i thought Damn, that shipping and insurance is high. So 8 plugged in my FedEx shipping number to have them ship back to me on my own account and, low and behold the $15 handling fee would have made my total bill within a few pennies of me just having them ship it insured back to me. So their shipping and insurance is actually in line they are just marking up for the handling, which i get. The boxes, tape, bubblewrap, packaging paper and manpower has increased as much as most everything else.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I sent my most recent submission in and didn't select insurance on purpose to save money......when they received it they added it to my bill anyways and charged me for it......I don't know why they have the option to not select it if they add it to your bill regardless.
Post 9 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator

Yeah, I tried that with my Fed-Ex account and CBCS wanted 28.00 handling fee, which put the cost over the top. So I am back to letting them ship. 30 books with 3,000 insurance is 116.00.
Before the price changes, the same 30 books were 72.00 which included 6,000 insurance.
Becket is making profit in the shipping too.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
I sent my most recent submission in and didn't select insurance on purpose to save money......when they received it they added it to my bill anyways and charged me for it......I don't know why they have the option to not select it if they add it to your bill regardless.

The transparency, as of late, has been just plain awful
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ODoyleRules private msg quote post Address this user
OK, this morning, I changed nothing on my submission and it was allowing me to add the insurance. I think something glitchy is going on with their online submission. Thanks to all that replied!
Post 12 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODoyleRules
OK, this morning, I changed nothing on my submission and it was allowing me to add the insurance. I think something glitchy is going on with their online submission. Thanks to all that replied!

Definitely....
I submitted a batch last Saturday and I could only add books with "Express" tier. The online form wouldn't let me not use Express. Had to print it that way and send to Darryl Hayden to get him to change the tier to Standard. Quite the fiasco....
Post 13 IP   flag post
601367 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?