Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Is this cover a fake ?17698

Collector Boiron private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone this will be my first post and first topic
I have a question please, i recently got this sub mariner #1 low grade and the cover on it is weird, when i look other covers he doesn't have the same line on his head or his hands, it's like he's more hairy . Am i crazy or is it because of water damage.

Thank you for your help

Post 1 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Does it look like someone drew over the cover art?
Maybe after it faded, someone tried fixing it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Kasperb991 private msg quote post Address this user
@Boiron looking st the oi tures the covers are the same more or less your talking about a book that was printed in the 60s sometime it will fade and look off for sure if it wasn't properly takencare of and I don't know of many placed trying to make a fake and low 3.0 ish grade cover for any book. It could also be that someone tried to use a marker to fix issues etc.. I know I did as a kid not thinking about the value of a book from back in the day as a 6 year old and all lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Sure looks like someone drew over the cover art to me. Perfect example of amateur restoration! 😂
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
yeah someone likely tried to do a "do it yourself restoration". people do it all the time...even with art and its never good
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros i think you are right or it faded like @Kasperb991 said
Post 6 IP   flag post
thank you very much everyone i was a little bit sressed for that one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 how have they the guts do that...

like this one i found on google image
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros That's amazing ahahah
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yeah water can expand the colors on older books honestly no way for me to tell with a picture nore am I an expert by any stretch but you'd have to have it checked out by a professional either way even if it's a restored (poorly) label its still a cool book to have
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Kasperb991 Thanks for the explanation, i will try to find a cleaner and send it to him. Whatever label it gets is okay (i never tried sending a comic to cbcs/cgc the shipping/customs are too expensive ) for me it will go directly in my PC.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Boiron where are you from bro I know CBCS has UK based and Canada based people
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Kasperb991 I'm from france. Oh nice i didn't know for Uk but the probleme with uk will be the customs.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I've been able to help buyers with customs when a book goes to an international buyer. When you fill out a customs form, make sure that you put "printed matter" in the description. There are a LOT of countries - including the EU - where printed matter is not charged customs duties. Best of all, this is NOT customs fraud. Whether a comic is in a slab or not, it is still printed matter and thus duty free.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd That's very interesting thank you for that trick. I ordered a comic at 7ate9 i will try to ask them if they can do that.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Boiron I hope it works for you. I often sell on eBay, and even when they pre-fill the customs form with the title of the listing (guaranteed to get charged customs duties) I can delete that and put "printed matter" in its place. It's very easy, and no risk because the description is still accurate.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd thanks i wish that it will work
Post 18 IP   flag post
601448 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?