Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestions

Transporting a large quantity of comics17693

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Today I took the time to get in my car to visit three locations to ask for truck rental estimates.

Two of the places weren't very helpful so I will go online to get quotes from them.

The lady at Budget told me that I would only need a 12 foot truck but the person who was helpful told me that to transport a 5,000 pound load (about what 4,700 slabs would weigh) I need a 16 foot truck.

She also gave me the following quotes:

Penske 16 Foot Truck One way from NJ to Texas $3,846.60.

Round Trip for a 16 Foot Truck would be $2,073.46 for 6 days or $2,291.68 for 8 days.

A web search tells me that for a 1,600 mile ride a 16 Foot Truck might get 6 to 8 miles per gallon.

With diesel fuel in the neighborhood of $5.50 a gallon a one way trip would cost about $1,257 for the fuel alone.

Are these quotes too high or is my math off on the fuel?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I would think that a 16’ truck would get a little better mileage considering a 22’ truck gets 8 mpg diesel. Still, gas is expensive these days.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Penske 16 Foot Truck One way from NJ to Texas $3,846.60.

Round Trip for a 16 Foot Truck would be $2,073.46 for 6 days or $2,291.68 for 8 days.

A web search tells me that for a 1,600 mile ride a 16 Foot Truck might get 6 to 8 miles per gallon.

With diesel fuel in the neighborhood of $5.50 a gallon a one way trip would cost about $1,257 for the fuel alone.

Are these quotes too high or is my math off on the fuel?

With meals and hotels you’re at $5,500 round trip and $5,500 plus airfare for one way. Take the MCS deal. When the guys arrive give them each a hundred bucks, thank them in advance for being careful with your stuff and have them help you take the boxes down to the garage.
Post 28 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 29 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

I didn't even factor in the cost of the blocker car.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
My experience is that max 30 slabs fit in a regular box and guessing the box weight at 20 pounds? That’s 150 boxes and 3,000 pounds. I’m not even sure that would fit in a cargo van?

I think we are looking at 160 boxes and 5,000 lbs give or take.
Post 31 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
The best things in life are free @drchaos!

Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Sounds like something you would see on Shipping Wars.

I watched that show.

I remember things getting there late or even worse getting damaged.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Me personally I would call dhl. Get an estimate and hire a reputable moving service to load them. Sometimes dhl will load and unload but they are not the gentlest in that regard. My two cents.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Spoke with the consignment company today.

$5,000 quote includes a couple guys to take everything form my place on the second floor and load it into the truck.

Insurance would also be included as they will have someone here to accept the books as they are loaded on to the truck.

Still looking to see if I could do this for less but I will need to get a quote from Collector's Insurance if I don't have the consignment company pick up.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Me personally I would call dhl. Get an estimate and hire a reputable moving service to load them. Sometimes dhl will load and unload but they are not the gentlest in that regard. My two cents.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will check with DHL.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Don't smoosh package!

Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Sell some here
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

$5,000 quote includes a couple guys to take everything form my place on the second floor and load it into the truck.

Insurance would also be included as they will have someone here to accept the books as they are loaded on to the truck.

Still looking to see if I could do this for less but I will need to get a quote from Collector's Insurance if I don't have the consignment company pick up.

Does this mean you will be moving all your stuff out for consignment?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Does this mean you will be moving all your stuff out for consignment?

Just the graded books.

I still have plenty of raw books to go through.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Exciting times.

Today I closed my ebay store and took down the listings.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos did you decide on how you were going to transport your books?

Moving forward, with the amount of books you get graded, are you going to have your books sent direct to MCS after grading. I'm not sure if that is even an option, but that would help lower costs.

I don't think I recall you having a submission that was under triple digits.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
@drchaos did you decide on how you were going to transport your books?

Moving forward, with the amount of books you get graded, are you going to have your books sent direct to MCS after grading. I'm not sure if that is even an option, but that would help lower costs.

I don't think I recall you having a submission that was under triple digits.

Still getting things figured out.

I like the idea that MCS picks the books up here and everything is in their hands but I still think I might be able to save a few bucks if I can work this out differently.

I started having MCS pick up my CBCS submissions a couple years ago.

With that said I amassed a large number of slabs before I started doing so.

I also have picked up books from a local auction company that have added to the group.
Post 43 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Usually when you consign to mcs, you have to input each item online, they approve them, you price them. I suspect you have a different arrangement than doing that for 4600 books???

Presuming it's all up to mcs to handle it, how will you know everything got listed? An inventory, I suppose? What if theirs doesn't match yours? The books are then in TX and you are not.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@chester15 you can copy and paste your list of graded books instead of having to enter them individually.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/consignmentquicksubmit
Post 45 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that.

I have only consigned a few at a time, so I used the Record Items Form. Then I was imagining entering 4600 comics - yowser! Pasting a list into the box, yeah, that would be the way to go.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Just thought I would post an update.

Today I picked up 19 CGC boxes full of consignments from Comic Connect.

Going through them to see if anything should be signed this weekend.

With Terrificon this weekend followed by Canada Fan Expo at the end of the month it looks like I will be pulling the trigger in September or October once I have everything in order.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Went through all of the graded books and organized them.

Found 21 graded books to crack out for signatures this weekend.

Now to go through the last box with the raw books.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Just wanted to post an update.

In the NYCC thread we learned that My Comic Shop will be taking consignments at their booth in Baltimore.

Now I only need to get the books to Baltimore instead of Texas.

Currently re-alphabetizing and double checking the inventory list in Excel.

When I am finished I will have a column with the box numbers and will write the number on the box and lid with a thick sharpie.

At the same time I am organizing raw books for signature at NYCC, Baltimore, and Rhode Island Comic Con.

I am also starting to chip away at my next CBCS submission that will be completed after all of the cons are over and everything has been pressed up.
Post 49 IP   flag post
So the blocker car can be sold @drchaos?
Post 50 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos

Are they accepting that huge a load though? You may want to double check before dropping it off and bring surprised if they dont.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
So the blocker car can be sold @drchaos?

Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@drchaos

Are they accepting that huge a load though? You may want to double check before dropping it off and bring surprised if they dont.

I will be talking with them before the show. Most likely I will pay them to pick up the comics here before the show starts.

I expect that the quote for this would be lower than the $5k they told me initially.

Otherwise I will find another way to get the books to Baltimore.
Post 53 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos Egggcellent...
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@drchaos

I will be talking with them before the show. Most likely I will pay them to pick up the comics here before the show starts.

I expect that the quote for this would be lower than the $5k they told me initially.

Otherwise I will find another way to get the books to Baltimore.

I was unaware MCS would even be at Baltimore.

I've got a chunk of slabs ready to give them and will put together a couple short boxes of raws for them , by than....thanks for the tip.

Dunno if they'll get posted in time for Christmas sales, though. MCS posted on the CGC board they are having problems w/ their work force and sickness.

Dunno what MCS's policy is on mask mandates but any business that doesnt have mask mandates on their grounds is asking for this kind of trouble.

And we're not even touching the winter Covid surges yet.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601270 101 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?