Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Bit of a strange request on a CBCS forum but clutching at straws at the moment.

Today I had my first ever CGC submission back. Ive been a CBCS dealer for 5/6 years now but had a few books in stock via CGC that had broken cases and a couple of my personal grails that I wanted a character label on.

For the past few months I've wanted the Hobgoblin label on my 2 ASM #238's and, against my own better judgement, took the plunge and sent off a small sub.

My original books were:
- ASM #238 Newsstand in a CGC 9.6
- ASM #238 Direct signed by Stan Lee, John Romita Sr and John Romita Jr in a CGC 9.6.

The books arrived earlier and attached is an image of what I received.

Ive obviously contacted CGC but I'm not confident in a quick resolve.

My request is simply if anyone sees the following book, with character label added, or has received it by mistake, along with a 9.6 Newsstand, to please get in contact. I know they aren't huge books to some but to me that are hugely important.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
ouch, sorry that happened to you!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Unreal and terribly sorry
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. Hope you get yours back soon.
Post 4 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Monumental error. Hope you get it back.
I would have a fit if my 9.8 signed by John & Virginia went missing....
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I hope the book turns up. Have you posted on the CGC forum as well?
Post 6 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
This happened to me on my first submission to CBCS back in early 2017. I had a book witnessed signed and given to CBCS at the convention. I got back an unsigned book of the same issue. Customer service was good back then and I got it rectified in 2-3 weeks.
I’m thinking CGC would make this right. With quantifiable mistakes they have fixed everything for me in the past.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
holy f ups

this should never happen
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
DUDE! That sucks! I've been getting responses lately from CS at CGC lately - unlike a few months ago - and hopefully they will help resolve this soon.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
They should be able to easily identify who was supposed to get the ASM 298 by the Reg. number. That's who has your book, I would think.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Identifying it and having a person willingly give it up are 2 different things.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@flanders not at the moment, for some reason my access to the forum is blocked so im trying to get that fixed to post it up there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Bronte thats my big concern. There are some great people in the hobby but there are some that will also see their 9.4 and an ASM #298 turn into x2 9.6's of a much higher value
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd i got straight through to their CS and they couldn't understand the screw up. They're on the case, which is all I can ask for right now, but whether they can locate my books and/or retrieve them is another thing.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdcomics
@Byrdibyrd i got straight through to their CS and they couldn't understand the screw up. They're on the case, which is all I can ask for right now, but whether they can locate my books and/or retrieve them is another thing.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I'm still floored that it happened at all.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
I hope this works out for you. I received a Batman 181 CGC 7.5 in the mail a couple months ago. Thing is, I didn't order one. I contacted the seller, a seller I had bought from before and he discovered that he had added my address instead of the purchasers address and sent it to me.

I would want to have someone do me right in that circumstance, so I do what I can to keep my slate clean. I hope someone else does that for you.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Little update on this.

CGC still haven't found my missing books but are very active in pushing and trying to retrieve the 2 books that they sent by mistake, probably before the other customer even finds out there is a problem. What originally seemed like fast action by CGC to resolve a problem now has fell into slow movement and the only update comes when I chase them to be told 'no update'
Post 17 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Little update on this.

CGC still haven't found my missing books but are very active in pushing and trying to retrieve the 2 books that they sent by mistake, probably before the other customer even finds out there is a problem. What originally seemed like fast action by CGC to resolve a problem now has fell into slow movement and the only update comes when I chase them to be told 'no update'

So CGC is demanding you relinquish the leverage you have before they come up with a solution. This is far worse than what happened to me. Keep us posted, please
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd release the hostages before a deal was brokered.
Post 19 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Ditto the others.
That leverage means they have 2 customers to placate instead of 1.
Post 20 IP   flag post
100% agree. It's a bit of a no win situation right now. I don't want someone else to be without their books, as thats not in my nature, but as things stand its what separates me from a resolve in my favour and getting completely dicked over by CGC.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
ouch that hurts. getting wrong ones back with one being a stan lee signed one. Id sue in small claims. a #238 unsigned 9.6 has sold for nearly $1000 but factoring in his signature.... its not like you can get a new signature in person
Post 22 IP   flag post
@rtdcomics
I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry. This whole situation is such rubbish and if CGC can't be bothered to make it right for you I may lose all respect for them. This borders on obscene.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
if it was a matter of grade differences....ok bad but easy to deal with. but one was a freaken stan lee signed one. even if they know who they sent the comics to.....he might be a jerk and wont give up without a fight. its not their fault......they were given to them, etc.

I mean if I got yours by mistake. Id try and fix it. but it is going to be tough. Lets say the person who got it.....is honest. what can they do? try and contact them? if they respond.....how do they figure out who they belong to?
Post 24 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 Stan Lee, John Romita Sr and John Romita Jr! Going to cost a big chunk to replace. Im not under any illusion thats its a 30k book but to me they were my grails as a huge Hobgoblin fan.

To me it seems simple, without knowing their system. The books will link to someone (surely) so the serial numbers from the books I received will link back to the correct owner. If this owner only had those 2 books but shows on the system as having a shipment sent then the likelihood is they received mine instead - or at least thats how my logic works
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@power_struggle55 Stan Lee, John Romita Sr and John Romita Jr! Going to cost a big chunk to replace. Im not under any illusion thats its a 30k book but to me they were my grails as a huge Hobgoblin fan.

To me it seems simple, without knowing their system. The books will link to someone (surely) so the serial numbers from the books I received will link back to the correct owner. If this owner only had those 2 books but shows on the system as having a shipment sent then the likelihood is they received mine instead - or at least thats how my logic works
I hope you find your books I was in a similar position not long ago myself. stan passed away and big John no longer signs due to his health condition with his hands. I'd be contacting cgc every day and to me I wouldn't care if they didn't like it. Keep the faith
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Ditto the others.
That leverage means they have 2 customers to placate instead of 1.

I think I would go ahead and use that leverage immediately. I would ask for written acknowledgement of the situation and their responsibility. Maybe even a guaranteed resolution date and compensation amount. Then send the books back before you get cast as the bad guy.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Little update on this.

Sorry to learn. If CGC is asking you to return those two books I would do so (them paying postage for sure). If both parties insist in getting their books first before releasing what they have received - this will go nowhere. Hope you get your books back and a compensation from CGC
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I still think this topic would get far more views and you'd gain more leverage and a faster resolution if you created a post on the CGC forum. Do you recall how much you insured them for on your submission form and do you have collector's insurance? If so, I hope you've filed a claim already.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I still think this topic would get far more views and you'd gain more leverage and a faster resolution if you created a post on the CGC forum. Do you recall how much you insured them for on your submission form and do you have collector's insurance? If so, I hope you've filed a claim already.

YES. When I had the massive stack of returns for CGC and was getting nowhere with CS, I finally got a response by airing my dirty laundry on their chat boards. I had CS contact me within 48 hours and I'd been after them for 4 months before that.
Post 30 IP   flag post
619395 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?