Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Amateur conservation17671

Collector Cosmic_Surfer private msg quote post Address this user
Are books with amateur conservation worth it like cover tear sealed with glue but still graded a 3?
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Totally worth it!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Surfer
Are books with amateur conservation worth it like cover tear sealed with glue but still graded a 3?

Depends what kind of discount you are getting off the unrestored price. I buy them regularly, mostly Golden Age.
Post 3 IP   flag post
So it’s a ff 48 for 1359 and it’s already graded cbcs 3 but i don’t know if the deal is worth it if if I should wait
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
So it’s a ff 48 for 1359 and it’s already graded cbcs 3 but i don’t know if the deal is worth it if if I should wait

Just looking at GoCollect and recent sales I would argue the fair price should be around $1,000.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay sold listings show multiple 3.0s going for $1325-$1450 recently (universal grade). I'm not sure what conserved go for vs restored but I'd start with an offer at 50% at most of the $1325 price. Also note, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Post 6 IP   flag post
That’s what I said but the guy won’t accept
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, don’t pay Universal prices for a Conserved book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

Yeah thank you I Fr don’t know what id do if I hadn’t posted here first 🙏 I mite just buy the normal for 300 more
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I would tend to agree with others and not pay universal prices for a conserved book.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

Yeah thank you I Fr don’t know what id do if I hadn’t posted here first 🙏 I mite just buy the normal for 300 more

It’s unlikely to drop in price. If it’s a grail and you can realistically afford it, go for it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I would tend to agree with others and not pay universal prices for a conserved book. Is that for 3.0?

Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's GPA for Restored/Conserved

Post 13 IP   flag post
Yeah bro I Fr am considering I don’t exactly have enough but my comic shop has a 6 month payment plan and I have more than half inhand
Post 14 IP   flag post
It's a great book but I wouldn't pay Universal prices for a Consevred book. If the seller is refusing to budge on his price, I'd walk away.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Cosmic_Surfer

Yes that was a 3.0 universal I screenshot.

If the guy is working with you on a payment plan, you might want to factor that in your decision. But if it was an outright purchase I wouldn't do it personally. I did a small loan to pay for my xmen 1 book. I thought it was a better option than getting something I didn't really want.

As for the restored conserved screenshot, the prices are not current....
Post 16 IP   flag post
The conservation one ima pass on but the 1650 chic 3 can do a payment plan and did you do yours on my comic shop?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yeah bro I Fr am considering I don’t exactly have enough but my comic shop has a 6 month payment plan and I have more than half inhand

Mycomicshop.com? OK, just looked it up...$1,330 or best offer. Not restored...conserved. That's a bit different. If you really want it and 6 month financing is available to you I would probably offer $1,150. But if you have sales tax in your state it's probably going to end up over $1,300 still. If not, it will end up around $1,200 with shipping and 3% consignment fee.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
The conservation one ima pass on but the 1650 chic 3 can do a payment plan and did you do yours on my comic shop?
CGC*
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

No not that one the unrestored
Mycomicshop.com? OK, just looked it up...$1,330 or best offer. Not restored...conserved. That's a bit different. If you really want it and 6 month financing is available to you I would probably offer $1,150. But if you have sales tax in your state it's probably going to end up over $1,300 still. If not, it will end up around $1,200 with shipping and 3% consignment fee.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I’m thinking of doing my comic shop 6 month payment plan for a unrestored one
Post 21 IP   flag post
If you were asking me if I did mine through mycomicshop.com, the answer is no. I did mine through a special credit card offer. My credit card was offering 6 months 0% finance charges or .99% for 18 months to pay it off.....
Post 22 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I’d generally do 60-80% of universal FMV for “conserved” and 25-50% for restored with exceptions.

Some of my willingness to pay is based on the market. Ie, I’d pay a higher percentage if the market wasn’t so negative. Very minor amateur color touch … I’m willing to pay closer to universal than market suggests. A recreated cover “extensively” restored? I’d only pay a little more than what a coverless copy would go for.

For conserved, I’d pay up to near universal FMV if the conservation were merely preventing further damage and didn’t impact perceived grade.

Market for this CBCS conserved FF48 (just guessing) would be somewhat lower, perhaps 40-60% because CGC conserved has different requirements. CGC’s requirements for Conserved are more akin to professional art conservation. This book would be considered “Restored” under CGC’s approach.

Could make for a good buy if you want to make an above-market offer… just so long as you don’t think you can flip for $.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
If I were looking for it. I’d offer what I think is fair and what I’d be comfortable paying for it. If my offer is declined then I’d walk away.
Post 24 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
If I were looking for it. I’d offer what I think is fair and what I’d be comfortable paying for it. If my offer is declined then I’d walk away.

Exactly.

With the one addition that it doesn’t hurt to keep watching for future adjustments.

I’ve made offers, get rejected and then months later purchase at or below my prior offer. The market changes and some people get anchored too much in the past. Both directions (up and down). Some realize the move too late. Others end up overcorrecting.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thank you guys for your help Fr you guys made my decision a lot easier 🙏🙏
Post 26 IP   flag post
600739 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?