Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

CGC sub, harsh or on point?17634

Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
I'm posting this in the CGC forums too but I'd like to get your all's point of view. I clean and pressed this book myself. I had it around a 7.5 to 8. I wasn't sure how harsh the creases would be graded. I worked hard to get the back cleaned and white pages (lots of blue light). The red lines indicate the crease length. Does a 6 seem harsh?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Four creases like that, I'd say it's on point.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
It does look clean tho, presents very nice!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy

That's crazy, I've seen precode horror books with terrible spines at higher grades. The rear creases are imperceptible unless you tilt the comic in the right light. Also, the front creases are more like dents as they don't show on the interior cover.

Sorry, just venting. Really didn't think that they would ding this so bad. Lesson learned someone is getting a really nice presenting 6.0 on the cheap.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperbat
It does look clean tho, presents very nice!

Yup, here's how it started out

Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy

That's crazy, I've seen precode horror books with terrible spines at higher grades. The rear creases are imperceptible unless you tilt the comic in the right light. Also, the front creases are more like dents as they don't show on the interior cover.

Sorry, just venting. Really didn't think that they would ding this so bad. Lesson learned someone is getting a really nice presenting 6.0 on the cheap.

I think the color loss (broken fibers), even in the white, is probably what did it. They do appear light, but as you and others point out, that just mean it presents very nicely.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That copy has a LOT of eye appeal. I agree with everyone else, though. That many colour-breaking creases, even if they're really thin and hard to see, are still multiple colour-breaking creases and some are of a non-trivial length. That grade looks pretty fair.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone for your input.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
more modern books are graded tougher than goldenage books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
more modern books are graded tougher than goldenage books.

I've heard that and now I know.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
One would think there would be a little more to the grader's notes than just "light creasing to cover."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
One would think there would be a little more to the grader's notes than just "light creasing to cover."

For real, light creasing on cover 6.0. I have 9.4's with more grader notes
Post 12 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I see other creases and defects (not marked against red lines) and that is with the low res image.

Based on the quick look/low res photo that would indeed be a harshly graded 6.0 but I suspect higher res photos will reveal more defects…

Presents extremely nice in the photos for a 6.0
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm posting this in the CGC forums too but I'd like to get your all's point of view. I clean and pressed this book myself. I had it around a 7.5 to 8. I wasn't sure how harsh the creases would be graded. I worked hard to get the back cleaned and white pages (lots of blue light). The red lines indicate the crease length. Does a 6 seem harsh?

The "creases" on the FC look like manufacturing defects, which are commonly seen in plenty CGC and CBCS 9.8 slabbed books.

I'm on my cell ATM and can't make out much on the BC but it seems like you got boned hard on this book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I see other creases and defects (not marked against red lines) and that is with the low res image.

Based on the quick look/low res photo that would indeed be a harshly graded 6.0 but I suspect higher res photos will reveal more defects…

Presents extremely nice in the photos for a 6.0

I had to reduce the size of the images or it locks up my browser when trying to post. Also, the lighting in my place doesn't help.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:

The "creases" on the FC look like manufacturing defects, which are commonly seen in plenty CGC and CBCS 9.8 slabbed books.

I'm on my cell ATM and can't make out much on the BC but it seems like you got boned hard on this book.
For sure these arent "creases" in that the paper wasnt folded over. You can't see them in the inner cover only on the outside FC. It is what it is. I reached out to CGC and they politely said if I I disagree that I can resubmit and pay again
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

That was fantastic ah ah ah
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Are there graders notes or are you strictly basing the given grade on what you personally saw? Is it possible CGC saw something you missed or they detected something in the cleaning/pressing that kept it from a higher grade?

Edit: I’m not implying you or CGC are wrong.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Are there graders notes or are you strictly basing the given grade on what you personally saw? Is it possible CGC saw something you missed or they detected something in the cleaning/pressing that kept it from a higher grade?

Yup notes say light creases on cover. It's all subjective in the end but it was a good learning experience. Still have more to learn when it comes to pre-grading, cleaning, and pressing.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It does look better than a 6 but the white is forgiving.

I see additional creases on front cover and also heavy waviness/ripples on bottom edge of back cover. My guess is accumulation of stuff not visible in those photos plus the creases… plus tight grading (potentially).

Quote:
Quote:

Yup notes say light creases on cover. It's all subjective in the end but it was a good learning experience. Still have more to learn when it comes to pre-grading, cleaning, and pressing.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Again, thank you all for your feedback!!! I hope to be able to reciprocate going forward.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Boxing on corners staples look meh creases. Ticks. If anything you got lucky with the grade. Overstreet grading would have it a 5.0 give or take
Post 23 IP   flag post
It is definitely a very nice looking 6.0 based on photos. It presents above that grade but again suspect the color masks defects as does the limited resolution to see defects that add up to the lower 6.0 grade.

Overstreet:

6.0 FINE (FN):
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I have 2 9.6s of shehulk 1
This 6.0 copy looks better than both of mine
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I have 2 9.6s of shehulk 1
This 6.0 copy looks better than both of mine

Dam, I needed that grader
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Dam, I needed that grader

Yea... its a train wreck. Rubs. Tics. And just overall not presenting well.

Good news is they'll be someone else's problem soon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Seems pretty fair to me.
Post 28 IP   flag post
So I've decided that this comic will be my money pit project. I have cracked and pulled her from her tranquil tomb to find several spin ticks that don't brake color (thank you white cover). One is pretty bad that borders on crease territory which I am trying to work out. I have managed to work out all of the ticks and will give it another good pressing. Now, do I submit it to CGC or give CBCS a shot? I'm leaning CBCS but I wonder if they will also knock the cover defects like CGC did.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
So it appears the grade was accurate?
Post 30 IP   flag post
600879 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?