Questions

Big news from MCS, CBCS & Borock17630

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Now we'll get to see Steve at some Dead & Co shows! Bravo
Post 126 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyShortBox
After consignment submission, consigner gets a letter grade posted to their account on the "your consignment has been graded and checked in" page. Later, consignment status moves to "item setup in progress" with the letter grade exchanged for the equivalent number grade. But then even later, while still in the "item setup in progress phase", that number grade is adjusted downward. What likely occurred on your end?

I've submitted two raw batches in the last year and have not seen this. I think if you are seeing a grade before you can price the books then it is probably based on the grade that you assigned. I've only ever noticed one final grade coming out of MCS. Could be wrong though.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats @sborock you will be missed.

I remember the last year CBCS was at NYCC prior to the CGC/Reedpop exclusive deal, you took the time to go over my books and show me what to look out for to determine if my books would do better with a press. You even took the time to do a sort of primer in grading. The fact that the president of a company took time for a fellow hobbyist was not forgotten.

You are a true champion of the hobby.
Before you go can you get newsstand recognition past the year 2000 please 😁
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector MyComicShop private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyShortBox
@MyComicShop

Thanks for being candid with the explanation of your grading process. Could you further explain the back-end process in the following situation?

After consignment submission, consigner gets a letter grade posted to their account on the "your consignment has been graded and checked in" page. Later, consignment status moves to "item setup in progress" with the letter grade exchanged for the equivalent number grade. But then even later, while still in the "item setup in progress phase", that number grade is adjusted downward. What likely occurred on your end?

The books are first checked in at a preliminary grade to get them into the database, and then when they move to the department that is providing the final grading and recording they're getting a closer inspection so the final grade isn't guaranteed to be unchanged. Ideally we wouldn't be showing any grade at all until the final grade is in place--that's something for us to address. It's this way currently due to us outgrowing older software and system designs.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyComicShop

Ideally we wouldn't be showing any grade at all until the final grade is in place--that's something for us to address. It's this way currently due to us outgrowing older software and system designs.

Great solution and thank you again.
Post 130 IP   flag post

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
So when do we get to hear from you @WestStephan as the new head grader?
Enquiring minds want to know how you feel about our friend Steve's departure and your view of where CBCS is now headed.
Also, perhaps some insight on some of the new things coming to CBCS.
Fill us in bud.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Enquiring minds want to know how you feel about our friend Steve's departure and your view of where CBCS is now headed.
Fill us in bud.

I too am curious as to the tone and content of any upcoming introductions or announcements now that the voice of the company has departed.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Fill us in bud.

I too am curious as to the tone and content of any upcoming introductions or announcements now that the voice of the company has departed.
If it’s coming from CS; it would be in the tone of silence.
Post 133 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67 @RRO Agreed! I too hope we hear from @WestStephan
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think you guys are dreaming - this is a huge embarrassment for CBCS and I’m sure they are circling the wagons and licking their wounds trying to figure out next step . They should have gotten ahead of this with a press release and spin positively but that ship has sailed .

There looks to be no one steering the ship and definitely no senior leadership at CBCS .

Also hearing rumors of people jumping ship loyal to Steve and not to CBCS .(totally understandable)
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
One now wonders why the hierarchy has been silent, this in retrospect does give cause for concern.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Holy crap! The sky is falling!
Post 137 IP   flag post
Maybe CGC will buy CBCS and then we can legitimately turn this thread into a discussion on monopolies until it gets locked.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Maybe CGC will buy CBCS and then we can legitimately turn this thread into a discussion on monopolies until it gets locked.

hahahahaha.....lol!!! had a good chuckle -that's great!
Post 139 IP   flag post
I have no knowledge of others potentially jumping ship - not 'connected' BUT I think CBCS will be ok.
Beckett bought CBCS in an attempt to expand their business from cards kind of like how CGC is expanding into cards and VHS tapes etc. etc.

Despite the lack of f@cks given that the website has contradictory pricing info, TAT info has invoicing printing issue etc. etc. etc. the lack of customer service or communication, Beckett probably isn't willing to walk away from this business -even though it looks like that is what they are doing.

At some point Beckett will have to put resources and effort into fixing things or people (us the consumer) will make the decision for them. Can't remember how much they paid for CBCS but I'm guessing they won't just say 'hey! that was worth a try - better luck next time!' and walk
Post 140 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user
Riddle me this ?

Who is in charge at CBCS ?
Who are the top two officers in the company?……………crickets
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfacecomics
I think you guys are dreaming - this is a huge embarrassment for CBCS and I’m sure they are circling the wagons and licking their wounds trying to figure out next step . They should have gotten ahead of this with a press release and spin positively but that ship has sailed .

There looks to be no one steering the ship and definitely no senior leadership at CBCS .

Also hearing rumors of people jumping ship loyal to Steve and not to CBCS .(totally understandable)

yeah....this seems like no one saw it coming, otherwise they would have been ahead of it.

It's not a surprise - happens in almost all mergers and acquisitions - after either a pre-determined time or just organically the founders leave - only usually they have a press release at the same time welcoming the new guy in charge - they lack of that and frankly the continued silence seems like Beckett was not prepared and that there are still questions about internal turmoil i.e. not ready to introduce new guy because he may not be the new guy because things are bad behind the scenes....

What do I know though...just a guy pushing 50 who's seen this type of thing play out in multiple industries both as part of a company being purchased or as the purchaser or just as an observer -sadly if Beckett/CBCS doesn't understand what the repercussions of their silence and the zero f@cks given on operational issues then they may indeed be in trouble.....
Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like people think CBCS is going to fail now that Borock isn't in charge of it, but isn't he the one who was leading the company which resulted in the mess they are in today? Change is good, and maybe now that they're getting someone else to run the company things will finally get better.

I don't get why West has to come to the message board to soothe over a few board members when the majority of their customers probably don't even know, or care about, the change.
Post 143 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Steve wanted something different.

I'm amazed at the people who've inferred he should have stayed at CBCS for their benefit. I'm fairly certain that his employment contract didn't require him to set himself on fire to keep someone else warm.

I like Steve, but I'm almost certain he didn't grade or finalize every book that passed through CBCS. Furthermore, I believe that if he thought the company couldn't survive his departure, he wouldn't have chosen this opportunity to leave.
Post 144 IP   flag post
CBCS has a 1 year backlog of work and the new stuff coming in on expedited service is significantly higher margin...gold nuggets instead of flakes. Assuming that Beckett is not cash-poor, there is a lot of margin for error built into that backlog. They now have the luxury of not being desperate or fighting daily for survival. It's an ideal time for a change and it's a fantastic opportunity for whoever is fortunate enough to receive it. Kind of makes me want to dust off my resume and go back to working hard long hours again.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just going to leave these here.

From Facebook.

From the website main page.

Post 146 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I remember when CBCS was moving to Dallas. Some people thought they were bankrupt and dying. Some people said it was the death roll of a dying company. The naysayers and conspiracy theorists had a hay day. You know what, they were wrong.

Now I'm seeing the same bs. There are MANY great things coming to CBCS!!! I know everyone is tired of waiting for certain things. Well, things are in the works that will knock your socks off!!! CBCS isn't going anywhere but up.
Post 147 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I've known both Steve and West for quite a few years and everyone should feel confident that CBCS going forward will continue to have exceptional guidance after Steve embarks on his new adventure. I'm saying this as a long time collector, dealer and fan without any prompting or magic beans anticipating CBCS's future as a growth stalk. Congratulatory cheers across the board!

Post 148 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Hippies unite. Diggit.....
Although West needs to grow some hair, at least shoulder length... lol...
Post 149 IP   flag post
601213 149 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?