Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS Only Slabs You Just Got Back #217617

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not really an autograph collector but I had accumulated a few signed books over the years and I just got the last four of them back from being verified by CBCS.

The HOM #179 I got from a guy selling his personal collection in Baltimore in 2022. He didn't even realize that the book was signed until I pointed it out to him. He sold it to me for $50. I just couldn't pass that deal up.

The NM #86 I didn't even realize was signed when I bought it. I just bought it with a stack of other books.

The Bijou Funnies I bought on C-link. $70 shipped. Even though I don't really collect autographs, I just couldn't pass up the Harvey Kurtzman signature for that price even though most folks don't know who he is (was) these days.

The Sandman #8 is the editorial variant. I bought it a few years back as a green label CGC. It was only a green label because of the Neil Gaiman signature which I would prefer not to have but it doesn't really bother me.

Post 726 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@zdoes10 - Those are friggin awesome! Congrats!

@sportshort, TY.
Post 727 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Received these today. Bought these on the Bay 10-15 years ago for 5-6 bucks each. Did not get them Pressed. These are my first Mag slabs from either company.
I have one question, does anyone know of any company that sells boxes too hold Magazine slabs.

Post 728 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@Dalkiel E. Gerber makes them. Unfortunately they say CGC on them: Amazon Link

I also found these links: Casematix & Amazon
Post 729 IP   flag post
Thanks @Belarak I saw those. I'm gonna check at my LCS and see what they have. I don't plan on slabbing too many Mags.
Post 730 IP   flag post

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Dalkiel That Foom is cool.
Post 731 IP   flag post
@James42 Thanks!
Post 732 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 733 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Upgrade for my Strange Tales 110.

Post 734 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I got this a few months ago on MCS. It goes with the only other Archie Comic book I own

Post 735 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cant wait till June when I do a submission. I love the wait if not too long. I plan on grading
Amazing spider-man #360 (1st appearance of Carnage in cameo)
Ultimate Fallout #4 facsmile (only way Ill have the issue graded in collection)
Batman: Adventures continue #8 (Christmas issue with great cover. want to display it every December)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Last Ronin Lost years #1 (special variant I bought at heroes con last year)
Post 736 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Finally got my Christmas submission back.Disappointed with the Invaders #8 grade but otherwise quite happy!

Post 737 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Nice haul. A 9.8 on the Punisher book with an sig can’t be too common. Very cool.
Post 738 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
Finally got my Christmas submission back.Disappointed with the Invaders #8 grade but otherwise quite happy

I've been disappointed with grades I got back. a 6.0 Booster Gold #1 6.0 Infinite Crisis #5, 8.0 for #3, 8.0 amazing spider-man 4 (1st silk). But as a whole look very nice still. the defects mostly on back or you have to squint to see
Post 739 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
Finally got my Christmas submission back.Disappointed with the Invaders #8 grade but otherwise quite happy

I've been disappointed with grades I got back. a 6.0 Booster Gold #1 6.0 Infinite Crisis #5, 8.0 for #3, 8.0 amazing spider-man 4 (1st silk). But as a whole look very nice still. the defects mostly on back or you have to squint to see
Yeah, it looks like there is a small very light stain on the back cover that I couldn't see until the graders notes told me what to look for and where.
Post 740 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Books sent without a press.

Post 741 IP   flag post
It's chicken Monday. Rush_is_a_band private msg quote post Address this user

So this came back to me today.
Post 742 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Rush_is_a_band Very nice!
Post 743 IP   flag post

Matt has been a friend of mine for ages, and I bought this variant because he did the cover. Somehow, it took me almost ten years to get him to sign it. Should have had it pressed, but the grade isn't really the point on this one.
Post 744 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 745 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 746 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 747 IP   flag post
Just got three back yesterday. One I am very happy with, one I am content with, and one that is disappointing.

This is the one I am happy with. I've shared this book before; I bought it as a 9.6 yellow label CBCS slab, but it looked awful. The book was all wavy, and the slab itself was badly scuffed - the eBay seller had packed it with what appeared to be trash as padding (including mail that was not addressed to them). I didn't take it up with eBay, because I got a good deal on the book (less than what a raw, unsigned copy was going for at the time).

Really looks amazing after the press and re-slab, and I couldn't be happier.

The next book I am content with. Both of the next pair came from the distributor, were not removed from the packaging or handled by me, and sent directly on to CBCS.

This book looks great in the slab, but I wonder if anybody has any tips for scanning these metal covers? The colours look much more muted than they actually are. I tried adjusting the levels in my scanner software, but anything that made the cover look more like it actually does tended to wash out the label.

And here's the one that made me kind of cranky.

Grader's notes say it has colour-breaking spine stress, not that I can find any. I did see the corner creases (after encapsulation); not sure I would agree with knocking the book all the way out of the nines.

I will be selling the 8.5 for a good price, if anybody is interested.
Post 748 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

I have an issue with it. wasn't first appearance of her in comics, she first debuted in the most recent Exiles series
Post 749 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

I have an issue with it. wasn't first appearance of her in comics, she first debuted in the most recent Exiles series

That's Peggy Carter, Captain America. Different character, different universe.
Post 750 IP   flag post
Collector mbarb private msg quote post Address this user
Mix of Bronze, Copper, and Modern Age comics that I just received back from CBCS last Saturday. This completes the slabbing of my Wolverine Limited Series copies from 1982 (I previously posted two copies of issue #1). I have also added another Dave Stevens favorite to my collection: Jonny Quest #5. Front and back covers of Just Imagine Stan Lee's Wonder Woman, from 2001, are included to showcase their verified signatures (Jim Lee and Adam Hughes). Happy with most of the grades.

Post 751 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
These cases and labels are really nice. I was meh, on the whole thing but Ive been proven wrong.

I really made a bone head decision on this one. I knew it could use another press but I ran out of time. Im sure I cost myself a 9.0.

Check out the label on Swampy #5, it's awesome....
Post 752 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 753 IP   flag post
Collector MisterMR private msg quote post Address this user
I got this 30 years ago. Matt Groening and the Bongo crew were signing, and even though it was only supposed to be like a 1-hour signing, they made sure that everyone in line got taken care of. It’s crazy that this was so long ago that the Simpsons were only celebrating their 5th anniversary

Post 754 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@MisterMR that's awesome. Is that what Duffman was supposed to look like?
Post 755 IP   flag post
614876 830 30