Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS Only Slabs You Just Got Back #217617

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Thomas8683 I was looking at a couple PGX slabs over the weekend, but I am terrified of buying one and finding out they didn't count the pages or something. Glad you got a good book at a good price.
Post 426 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
I was looking at a couple PGX slabs over the weekend, but I am terrified of buying one and finding out they didn't count the pages or something.

It's a valid concern. I've only bought one PGX book (Web of Spider-Man #1) because the price was dirt cheap and it's a newer book, so likely not secretly mutilated. I'd be very leary of buying any PGX book older than Copper Age.
Post 427 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
will be posting my 3 submissions Ill be getting in the mail sunday. one Im not surprised on grade, 2nd surprised but good (was kind of expecting lower), 3rd really surprised and bad reason (was expecting a little higher)...but Im fine with it
Post 428 IP   flag post
Collector Thomas8683 private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 I got it for a good price and I figured I would chance it.
Post 429 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
I got lucky with a PGX MMC 86, and yes I knew it was a risk. Fortunately it was complete and unrestored, but it did go from a PGX 6.5 to a CGC 5.0. That was nine years ago and I doubt I'll try to push that luck again.
Post 430 IP   flag post

I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
first world problems

Post 431 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55
LOL!!
Post 432 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@power_struggle55
LOL!!

That is funny....
I am working on the next batch to ship out.
Just can't press them fast enough lol....
I did get back the order from last September.
Hopefully post some pics soon.
Post 433 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

Looking forward to seeing some cool books!
Post 434 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@power_struggle55
LOL!!

That is funny....
I am working on the next batch to ship out.
Just can't press them fast enough lol....
I did get back the order from last September.

yeah same. plan on submitting 4 in june. I prefer doing it at a convention. easier then packing it right, paying for shipping and then mailing.
Post 435 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
plan on submitting 4 in june. I prefer doing it at a convention. easier then packing it right, paying for shipping and then mailing.

You're definitely correct there. Unfortunately, I don't have many conventions accessible to me, and the few that I do have aren't attended by CBCS. At least I know how to package safely. If I could package classified hardware headed for a warzone, I'm pretty sure I can send a few books cross-country.
Post 436 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
plan on submitting 4 in june. I prefer doing it at a convention. easier then packing it right, paying for shipping and then mailing.

You're definitely correct there. Unfortunately, I don't have many conventions accessible to me, and the few that I do have aren't attended by CBCS. At least I know how to package safely. If I could package classified hardware headed for a warzone, I'm pretty sure I can send a few books cross-country.

I could be wrong but I think you mentioned that you live in Socal? if I am correct, Wondercon will have CBCS in attendance.
Post 437 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Quote:

I could be wrong but I think you mentioned that you live in Socal? if I am correct, Wondercon will have CBCS in attendance.

Sweet! Not sure I can make that because it's so close to the day I take off for my next trip to Japan, but I'll see if I can manage.
Post 438 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this beauty back from the May J.M. Dematteis signing. Yes I know the label says witnessed signature 11/10/2022 but I sent this in last March for the May J.M. Dematteis signing. I'm guessing that since he did another signing for CBCS in November and this comic had still not even been pressed yet that when they made the label they assumed and used the most recent signing date by mistake. Not a big deal really just an interesting note, not worth sending it back to get it redone.

I was quite happy when I saw the grade, very happy to have a 9.6 Newsstand of this issue signed.
Post 439 IP   flag post
@Silversorrow
That's great for a newsstand edition. Newsstands in high grade are so tough to find!
Post 440 IP   flag post
Collector DPK419 private msg quote post Address this user
FedEx delivered a nice surprise for me this morning. Glad I didn't peek at the grade before it arrived.
Post 441 IP   flag post
@DPK419 Score......
Post 442 IP   flag post
Collector PressMeComics private msg quote post Address this user
@DPK419 I’m a huge Grell fan so congrats on such a beautiful book. Consider me jealous!
Post 443 IP   flag post
@DPK419
That's a gorgeous copy! Wow!!
Post 444 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to seeing some cool books!

Hey Byrdibryd, hope you have a fabulous trip back to Japan.
Here are those pics of the books I got back yesterday.

Post 445 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67
Dayum, that's a bunch of nice books!

I'm definitely looking forward to my trip back to Japan. I have plans to make daily posts again and show off some photos. I do have a new plan to have a wearable camera and shoot some video of the infamous Stairs of Doom. We'll get some particularly harrowing-looking ones at Maruoka Castle , and I want to see if I can get footage of what it's like to climb them from my POV.
Post 446 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67 awesome books! I've also got a Pitt #1 9.8 that I sent in two times with a grade screen to cbcs after purchasing it as a kid. If it failed the 2nd time I'd probably send it in a 3rd since I couldn't find a single flaw with it.

Post 447 IP   flag post

Post 448 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@Nearmint67 awesome books! I've also got a Pitt #1 9.8 that I sent in two times with a grade screen to cbcs after purchasing it as a kid. If it failed the 2nd time I'd probably send it in a 3rd since I couldn't find a single flaw with it.

Yeah, it depends on the grader holding the book, their mood, did the stars align, blah, blah, blah...

I hade 2 copies of Punisher # 1 that I pre-screened at 9.4 and got rejected. And 2 copies of Firelord # 1 pre-screened at 9.6 and got rejected. Sent them all back again and all were graded.... Go figure.

@Byrdibyrd maybe get a foot massage while you are there for all the walking again...
Post 449 IP   flag post
wish they listened to my notes with go go power rangers #8 as it being first appearance of Ranger Slayer but still looks great.

looking at amazing spider-man #4. I see the defects it mentioned in grader notes. like a bend in the back in a corner. comic still looks great. so happy with a 8.0
Post 450 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55
Nice books! The 9.8 on the Power Rangers is excellent!
Post 451 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd maybe get a foot massage while you are there for all the walking again...

That's a temptation. Possibly give the feet a soak in a lovely hot onsen...
Post 452 IP   flag post
Quote:
@power_struggle55
Nice books! The 9.8 on the Power Rangers is excellent!

yeah even the 8.0. I can see the fold on back cover in a corner and another deduction is the digital code sticker removed. Im sure if those werent an issue would be a better grade. But still looks nice. see sellers selling 8.0s even not slabbed for a good ammount of money. so worth it. dont plan on selling but worth it still
Post 453 IP   flag post
Quote:
another deduction is the digital code sticker removed.

It's like the Marvel Value Stamp of today...
Post 454 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
another deduction is the digital code sticker removed.

It's like the Marvel Value Stamp of today...

at the time I got the issue grading never crossed my mind. it was a new issue when I got it. I do use the codes. if there was a way to use code without removing sticker I would. but depending grade its not a big deal. I believe deducts .2 and a mention
Post 455 IP   flag post
600822 752 30