Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Thoughts on label notes for this book17601

Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Are we taking bets that the cutout and its owner went straight to a local tattoo shop?

given the age of the book, it might have been glued to a trapper-keeper, or taped to the interior locker... God i miss those times...
Post 51 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The Qualified label is the "What If" of grading labels...."What if we pretended that damage doesn't exist...."

LOL!

Does CBCS have an established procedure for a situation like this, or would this be set aside for extra attention? This has to happen often with cartoon books.

CBCS does not use a Qualified label.
The book would probably grade a 1.0

I know you don't- I meant label notation. That's the main concern for this situation. Would the label say something more specific, or does it fall in the category of any comic with any character cut out, with just a passing mention?

That was already answered:

Quote:
Large piece cut out
Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Even if you have a ratty book or an otherwise 9.8 where both books are reduced to .5 because of a missing page. They're still both .5's

But that idea there is no more legitimate than the idea of a qualified grade, it's just older. It's incredibly arbitrary and the only reason it's accepted is because it's been around longer as a standard. I don't think older ideas are always better than new ideas. Like I said, as a submitter I like having the option to choose either way. Even as a buyer of a slab, I like the idea of knowing the condition of a book beyond the major flaw. Grader notes don't tell me the actual grade of the rest of the book. And honestly, even as just a displayer of books I like not having a .5 or 1.0 label on my otherwise really nice looking Golden Age book that is missing a coupon from the back cover.

It is legitimate if you subscribe to the grading companies methods and criteria to analyzing books and assigning grades, which given the popularity of slabbing, most have.

I understand why a submitter may want to know this information but at best it perhaps should be a foot note in the graders notes and not on the label.

This is no different than requesting a grading company to ignore the fact that there's colour touch, trimming or any restoration.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
You guys should ask Steve what he thinks of the Green Label, since he's the one who invented it πŸ€”πŸ€‘ Is he proud of it? Does he regret it? Is it a useful tool?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
This is no different than requesting a grading company to ignore the fact that there's colour touch, trimming or any restoration.

This would be true if the defect were being ignored, which it isn't. The defect is clearly pointed out and the book is set apart by the colour of its label. If the label were also blue like a 'Universal' label, then I would have a serious issue.
Post 55 IP   flag post

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I regret it. Seemed like it was a good idea at the time (1999), but (most) sellers hate it and the fans are not in love with it either.

Back then, before certification, some of the more honest sellers would put: VFNM with 3" tr on 3rd page. It was a way of explaining what the book looked like besides the flaw. We went with that when we opened CGC, but I was never really happy with it. I believe the grade of the book should be the grade, not a "what if" grade.

The other problem I have with it is that the dishonest sellers, which we know that there are many, sell qualifieds to newbies at a very high price as they are still learning and get taken advantage of.

We thought we were doing the right thing at the time, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions......
Post 56 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock You are a better man than me....that guy is on my permanent ignore list. 🍻
Post 57 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@sborock You are a better man than me....that guy is on my permanent ignore list. 🍻

LOL! That answer was for everybody, not him.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
The other problem I have with it is that the dishonest sellers, which we know that there are many, sell qualifieds to newbies at a very high price as they are still learning and get taken advantage of.

Easily the best point to be made on the issue.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

A purple/green label might be visually appealing. Is there such a thing?

...and if you get it signed? purple/green/yellow
Post 60 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Blue/Gray, Yellow/Green, Yellow/Gray, and Yellow/Purple Labels exist at CGC
Post 61 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Which is why I brought up the original question and support more specific notation. So beginners, and everyone else, know what they're buying.
"Wolverine cut out of page 32" (or leaf 16). "Large cut-out" is vague.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

Which is why I brought up the original question and support more specific notation. So beginners, and everyone else, know what they're buying.

I'd imagine the reason they don't do this is because the more specific you go with notation the more it adds to TATs. It's probably impossible to automate such specific notations.
Post 63 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I'd imagine the reason they don't do this is because the more specific you go with notation the more it adds to TATs. It's probably impossible to automate such specific notations.

That's a good point, sometimes I forget it's like an assembly line in there. Basically just click an option and it prints the pre-programmed note.
Unfortunate.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The Qualified label is the "What If" of grading labels...."What if we pretended that damage doesn't exist...."

LOL!

Does CBCS have an established procedure for a situation like this, or would this be set aside for extra attention? This has to happen often with cartoon books.

CBCS does not use a Qualified label.
The book would probably grade a 1.0

I know you don't- I meant label notation. That's the main concern for this situation. Would the label say something more specific, or does it fall in the category of any comic with any character cut out, with just a passing mention?

That was already answered:

Quote:
Large piece cut out

I did miss that.
So the difference would be the color and grade. A person buying this in a CBCS slab would also have no way of knowing
Quote:
That's funny. The biggest (only?) reason someone would want that book has been meticulously removed.

This is funny.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
You guys should ask Steve what he thinks of the Green Label, since he's the one who invented it πŸ€”πŸ€‘ Is he proud of it? Does he regret it? Is it a useful tool?

Just about every comment you make is flawed enough to require a green label. Why do you want to keep making an ass of yourself like this? You sound like a scorned lover. Like an angry version of Adele. I take it Steve broke your heart some time in the past? Probably when he left CGC?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:

You aren't being a useful tool, Stuart. Just a tool.
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Like an angry version of Adele

That's very very very angry.

I just saw Tori Amos live last night. Tori is not as angry as she used to be but I had to chuckle at this line. Interestingly, Tori was dressed in mostly green. I guess she's qualified?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I can help clear things up:

If I had the book as a raw book and saw the reason for buying the book (beyond the GREAT getting-punched-in-the-face sound effects) was cut out with an Exact-O-Knife, I wouldn't have bought it. If I HAD, it would have been for parts.

Never would I ever send the POS in to be graded knowing that the raison d'etre was gone. UNLESS I was a heartless, POS that wanted money. Even then, what's the point?

I thought I was wrong all these years. I always counted pages as having two sides. So, one page equaled two sides of art. This book is 16x2=32 "sides". Here, I would have mentally done the math and though "Ehhhh that missing piece could possibly be some kid cutting out Wolvie and gluing him to a 3 ring binder.

We did that a lot in the 1970's. Thank God they started issuing stickers around the same time. Thank Satan they shipped them in cardboard tubes and when we stuck them to the wall, they rolled up on the wall.

I see keys or semi-keys with green labels, that's my cue to keep scrolling. I buy a raw book, I count pages before sending feedback or raising Hell, which so far, I haven't had to do. Well, just once. But that was over money.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

That's the Newb's fault for not educating themselves and not doing their due diligence.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Just about every comment you make is flawed enough to require a green label. Why do you want to keep making an ass of yourself like this? You sound like a scorned lover. Like an angry version of Adele. I take it Steve broke your heart some time in the past? Probably when he left CGC?
Keep drinking that Kool Aid πŸ‘
Post 71 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Some of us cut out comics and others bought scratch and sniff stickers… lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Maybe I can help clear things up:

If I had the book as a raw book and saw the reason for buying the book (beyond the GREAT getting-punched-in-the-face sound effects) was cut out with an Exact-O-Knife, I wouldn't have bought it. If I HAD, it would have been for parts.

Never would I ever send the POS in to be graded knowing that the raison d'etre was gone. UNLESS I was a heartless, POS that wanted money. Even then, what's the point?

I thought I was wrong all these years. I always counted pages as having two sides. So, one page equaled two sides of art. This book is 16x2=32 "sides". Here, I would have mentally done the math and though "Ehhhh that missing piece could possibly be some kid cutting out Wolvie and gluing him to a 3 ring binder.

We did that a lot in the 1970's. Thank God they started issuing stickers around the same time. Thank Satan they shipped them in cardboard tubes and when we stuck them to the wall, they rolled up on the wall.

I see keys or semi-keys with green labels, that's my cue to keep scrolling. I buy a raw book, I count pages before sending feedback or raising Hell, which so far, I haven't had to do. Well, just once. But that was over money.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Just call me Maynard πŸ”§
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I saw this on another forum and I was wondering what people here would say.

When a piece of a page is missing, whether it's an accidentally ripped corner, or a stamp/coupon, or this... how specific should a label be?
And should it depend on the importance of the piece that is missing?

"Large piece cut out of page 16, affects story, incomplete"

Ignore the fact that they got the page number incorrect (shocker), but, in a case like this should this have stated what exactly was missing ?

Story, for those wondering:
The guy bought it in a collection, broke it out because he felt people would want to see what was missing, and he found this.

And yes, as I said there, it seems someone wanted to end the first appearance debate

Whomever cracked that slab isn't very bright.

And it's a double whammy for that guy that CGC had the wrong page notes on the label.

If I was that guy, I'd do one of 2 things.

1st:

Contact XGC and tell them to pay me full FMV for the book in green 7.0.

2)
If CGC says kick rocks, I'd put the raw book paires with the cracked open slab up on eBay in auction, with a pic of the cutout, put the raw book back in the slab, note it has (obviously) been cracked open.

Would be fun to see what it sold for in auction format.

Maybe a CGC employee would bid on it justvro take it off the market.

I wouldn't have suggested or done this 2 years ago but seeing as CGC is damaging a lot of books lately, let them pay out on one of their errors.

FWIW, a seller listed at LEAST a dozen "DEFECTIVE SLAB" auctions on eBay today....cracked cases , chipped cases and more than a couple books with torn staples....encapsulation or SCS.

I have about 200 books that I have pressed and ready to sub to CGC, and I am literally afraid to ship them out.
Post 74 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a half point given by CGC due to the immaculate cut-out job?
The individual who did it, did an A1+ job on that cutout! Gotta count for something CGC, right?
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure thing, Mr. Krebs.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure thing, Mr. Krebs.
You're old 😁 Bob Denver can't sing like James Keenan πŸŽ™
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:

When a piece of a page is missing, whether it's an accidentally ripped corner, or a stamp/coupon, or this... how specific should a label be?

Ignore the fact that they got the page number incorrect (shocker), but, in a case like this should this have stated what exactly was missing ?

The guy bought it in a collection, broke it out because he felt people would want to see what was missing, and he found this.

And yes, as I said there, it seems someone wanted to end the first appearance debate

And it's a double whammy for that guy that CGC had the wrong page notes on the label.

1st:

This makes no sense at all.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:

1st:

2)
If CGC says kick rocks, I'd put the raw book paires with the cracked open slab up on eBay in auction, with a pic of the cutout, put the raw book back in the slab, note it has (obviously) been cracked open.

Would be fun to see what it sold for in auction format.

Maybe a CGC employee would bid on it justvro take it off the market.

I wouldn't have suggested or done this 2 years ago but seeing as CGC is damaging a lot of books lately, let them pay out on one of their errors.

FWIW, a seller listed at LEAST a dozen "DEFECTIVE SLAB" auctions on eBay today....cracked cases , chipped cases and more than a couple books with torn staples....encapsulation or SCS.

I have about 200 books that I have pressed and ready to sub to CGC, and I am literally afraid to ship them out.

Would you feel this way if it were in a CBCS 1.0 Blue label that said "large piece cut out on pg 16", and did not specify it was Wolverine? It appears that's what they'd do.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

That's the Newb's fault for not educating themselves and not doing their due diligence.

We all have to start somewhere and we can't all start out educated from the get-go. Are there jerkweeds out there who target newbie collectors because they think they can pull a fast one? YES. Is that okay just because they're newbies and they deserve it because they don't have the years of experience that more seasoned collectors have? NO.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601448 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?