Thoughts on label notes for this book17601

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The Qualified label is the "What If" of grading labels...."What if we pretended that damage doesn't exist...."

LOL!

Does CBCS have an established procedure for a situation like this, or would this be set aside for extra attention? This has to happen often with cartoon books.

CBCS does not use a Qualified label.
The book would probably grade a 1.0
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The Qualified label is the "What If" of grading labels...."What if we pretended that damage doesn't exist...."

LOL!

Does CBCS have an established procedure for a situation like this, or would this be set aside for extra attention? This has to happen often with cartoon books.

I think he's asking would the CBCS label (in this scenario) say "large piece cut out" or something more specific like "Wolverine figure cut out".
Post 27 IP   flag post
Large piece cut out
Post 28 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL!

Are you laughing at his naivete?
I like the Green Label, it serves a necessary purpose.
Plus, every Yellow CGC Ss book is Qualified, no big deal.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

No, the "page" numbers are 31 & 32.
I agree it should say "leaf 16", but it doesn't. It says Page 16.
People shouldn't have to decipher CGC code.

Lol. It's hardly "CGC code". CBCS counts and labels pages the same way. That's why when the MVS is cut out of this book, both companies say it is missing from page 10. So if you disagree with it, take it up with the comic grading industry.

You know it 👍 it was done this way before there ever was a CGC. It's the only way to keep page counting standardized.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL!

As usual, you add nothing.
I was laughing at the joke.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL!

100% disagree
Post 32 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Lol. It's hardly "CGC code". CBCS counts and labels pages the same way.

A lot of CBCS stuff comes from CGC. But the point is most people would think page 16 means page 16. People shouldn't have to know that comic book grading companies just happen to call a leaf a page.

Is writing on "page 16" actually on page 31 or 32? Clearly it's not on 16

Quote:

That's why when the MVS is cut out of this book, both companies say it is missing from page 10. So if you disagree with it, take it up with the comic grading industry.

I can disagree with something without making it an issue for anyone else. And it doesn't matter if I disagree, the topic is a label note about cut-outs.

Funny, when I say ignore the page number, some try and make it so important.
Post 33 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
What happened to the Robin Avatar @HexView?
Post 34 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
I think a 7.0 is way too high when someone purposly cut out the reason its worth money
Post 35 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
I think a 7.0 is way too high when someone purposly cut out the reason its worth money

It's a qualified grade.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

But the What if? game is helpful in the "what should it sell for?" game. I think it's a smart business practice for CGC to give it's submitters the option of having the rest of the book graded, not just the damage.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

But the What if? game is helpful in the "what should it sell for?" game. I think it's a smart business practice for CGC to give it's submitters the option of having the rest of the book graded, not just the damage.

It is an interesting option for grading, and I think it could be useful as just that: An option. As long as you have a book with a type of defect that falls into a prescribed list of defects (MVS missing, panel(s) cut out, pin-up/page missing, unwitnessed signature that doesn't pass verification, etc.) then you can choose to take a green label that clearly calls out the defect(s), but grades the rest of the book.
Post 38 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I disagree. The qualified grade in your scenario only provides imaginary ammunition for the seller and creates a hurdle for the buyer to overcome. It's irrelevant what the grade might have been if the main defect didn't exist....because it does exist. There are graders notes to advise on defects. The qualified grade exists so submitters can have a higher number in the white square.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
the "qualified" grade is bullsh*t, the book is the book
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
the "qualified" grade is bullsh*t, the book is the book

I disagree.
Imagine you crack a 9.9, carefully cut out a coupon, it is suddenly a 1.0, despite being in perfect condition otherwise.
I like the idea of the book being graded on the condition of what is there and clearly labeled with what may be missing inside.
So back on topic, that's why I think a more specific note could be very valuable in some circumstances.
There is a difference in value between a book with a random section of a leaf cut out, vs a character's first appearance.
Post 41 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
it doesn't matter if the defect(s) is spread out over the entire book or concentrated in one defect. The book is the book and that's its grade.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I agree with @Sigur_Ros . There's a difference between a book in great condition that happens to be missing its centrespread and a battered old rag with the same defect, and yet on the basis of the missing centrespread, they would be given the same grade. A 'qualified' grade allows for a fair option for the otherwise nice book with a catastrophic defect.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I agree with @Sigur_Ros . There's a difference between a book in great condition that happens to be missing its centrespread and a battered old rag with the same defect, and yet on the basis of the missing centrespread, they would be given the same grade. A 'qualified' grade allows for a fair option for the otherwise nice book with a catastrophic defect.

Bingo.
They are not the same book.

The book is the book, and the other book is the other book.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL!

I know you don't- I meant label notation. That's the main concern for this situation. Would the label say something more specific, or does it fall in the category of any comic with any character cut out, with just a passing mention?
Post 45 IP   flag post
A qualified grade is just additional information about the book. I don't know who gets hurt by having the option of getting your book graded with the additional information. At CGC you have both choices, you can have the book graded based purely on the major defect or you can have the rest of the book graded with the major defect listed as a qualification on the grade. I don't see where the harm is. I'm the customer, I want to know the condition of my book...if it were just about the defect I could have done that at home.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
if you want to pay money to wait a year for an imaginary grade, you are the customer CGC can't get enough of
Post 47 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Are we taking bets that the cutout and its owner went straight to a local tattoo shop?
Post 48 IP   flag post
To me, its not additional information....or atleast no additional information that's real or useful. I don't see how ignoring a defect to get a higher grade is relevant or even real. Even if you have a ratty book or an otherwise 9.8 where both books are reduced to .5 because of a missing page. They're still both .5's and I have graders notes to consult as well as my own examination to see that one book looks better than the other but are still both .5s

The only scenario where I see a Qualified grade might be useful is when you witness a signature or have a book with a signature you know 100% is real and you have no intention of selling the book. But now that CBCS has VSP, it sorta put a fork in that scenario for me.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Even if you have a ratty book or an otherwise 9.8 where both books are reduced to .5 because of a missing page. They're still both .5's

But that idea there is no more legitimate than the idea of a qualified grade, it's just older. It's incredibly arbitrary and the only reason it's accepted is because it's been around longer as a standard. I don't think older ideas are always better than new ideas. Like I said, as a submitter I like having the option to choose either way. Even as a buyer of a slab, I like the idea of knowing the condition of a book beyond the major flaw. Grader notes don't tell me the actual grade of the rest of the book. And honestly, even as just a displayer of books I like not having a .5 or 1.0 label on my otherwise really nice looking Golden Age book that is missing a coupon from the back cover.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Are we taking bets that the cutout and its owner went straight to a local tattoo shop?

given the age of the book, it might have been glued to a trapper-keeper, or taped to the interior locker... God i miss those times...
Post 51 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

LOL!

I know you don't- I meant label notation. That's the main concern for this situation. Would the label say something more specific, or does it fall in the category of any comic with any character cut out, with just a passing mention?

That was already answered:

Quote:
Large piece cut out
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Even if you have a ratty book or an otherwise 9.8 where both books are reduced to .5 because of a missing page. They're still both .5's

But that idea there is no more legitimate than the idea of a qualified grade, it's just older. It's incredibly arbitrary and the only reason it's accepted is because it's been around longer as a standard. I don't think older ideas are always better than new ideas. Like I said, as a submitter I like having the option to choose either way. Even as a buyer of a slab, I like the idea of knowing the condition of a book beyond the major flaw. Grader notes don't tell me the actual grade of the rest of the book. And honestly, even as just a displayer of books I like not having a .5 or 1.0 label on my otherwise really nice looking Golden Age book that is missing a coupon from the back cover.

It is legitimate if you subscribe to the grading companies methods and criteria to analyzing books and assigning grades, which given the popularity of slabbing, most have.

I understand why a submitter may want to know this information but at best it perhaps should be a foot note in the graders notes and not on the label.

This is no different than requesting a grading company to ignore the fact that there's colour touch, trimming or any restoration.
Post 53 IP   flag post
You guys should ask Steve what he thinks of the Green Label, since he's the one who invented it 🤔🤑 Is he proud of it? Does he regret it? Is it a useful tool?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
This is no different than requesting a grading company to ignore the fact that there's colour touch, trimming or any restoration.

This would be true if the defect were being ignored, which it isn't. The defect is clearly pointed out and the book is set apart by the colour of its label. If the label were also blue like a 'Universal' label, then I would have a serious issue.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601329 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?