Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
The traffic has really died lately. Crickets is what I hear. I miss when it was bustling with posts.

Everyone that vowed to no longer use the cgc during Slabgate has scurried back over to the cgc boards since they have fixed their current holder. Of course CBCS' change to the Label of Death didn't help matters either.
Not everyone

A lot.

A lot is right.
Post 326 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
not that my input may matter..

Should have a page/subcategory (subfolder) stictly for buy/sell/trade here, not that I do but have a specific seperate area for that.

Have a page/subcategory (subfolder) stictly for for AWS, people seeking AW's, AW's posting about signatures opportunities.
Post 327 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I prefer the smaller simpler format.

So far the forum here seems to be lacking the know-it-all condecending types who's mission is to put others down as much as possible in order to make themselves feel better about life. Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.
Post 328 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany M.
CGC is upgrading its Chat Boards in early February with new software that will make it easier to post, add pictures and--best of all--use the CGC Chat Boards on your smartphones!

The CGC Chat Boards upgrade will begin at 11:00am EST on Monday, February 6, and is expected to be done by 11:00am EST on Wednesday, February 8.

All posts, threads and private messages created before 11:00 EST on 2/6 will be migrated to the new CGC Chat Boards. As you might imagine, there are A LOT of posts to migrate! To ensure that everything is migrated without issue, you will NOT be able to send private messages or post in existing threads until the upgrade is done. We'll create a "temporary" section on the old chat boards where you can post while the upgrade is in progress, but these posts will NOT be migrated to the new Boards.

We recommend closing all Buy, Sell, Trade posts before 11:00am EST on Monday, February 6.

The upgraded CGC Chat Boards will be located on CGCcomics.com instead of Collectors-Society.com, and you'll now be able to login with your CGC Collectors Society account instead of your old Chat Boards account. If you don't have a free (or paid) CGC Collectors Society account, you will receive an email to activate a free CGC Collectors Society account. All of your old posts and private messages will be preserved under this new account.
Post 329 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany M.
CGC is upgrading its Chat Boards in early February with new software that will make it easier to post, add pictures and--best of all--use the CGC Chat Boards on your smartphones!

The CGC Chat Boards upgrade will begin at 11:00am EST on Monday, February 6, and is expected to be done by 11:00am EST on Wednesday, February 8.

All posts, threads and private messages created before 11:00 EST on 2/6 will be migrated to the new CGC Chat Boards. As you might imagine, there are A LOT of posts to migrate! To ensure that everything is migrated without issue, you will NOT be able to send private messages or post in existing threads until the upgrade is done. We'll create a "temporary" section on the old chat boards where you can post while the upgrade is in progress, but these posts will NOT be migrated to the new Boards.

We recommend closing all Buy, Sell, Trade posts before 11:00am EST on Monday, February 6.

The upgraded CGC Chat Boards will be located on CGCcomics.com instead of Collectors-Society.com, and you'll now be able to login with your CGC Collectors Society account instead of your old Chat Boards account. If you don't have a free (or paid) CGC Collectors Society account, you will receive an email to activate a free CGC Collectors Society account. All of your old posts and private messages will be preserved under this new account.

Post 330 IP   flag post

Collector Whitedragon private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't think I would ever like this forum design until I just looked at the new CGC forums.

Wow do they suck.
Post 331 IP   flag post
Collector D_Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Post 332 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Happy to be able to post and share my scans!

mm
Post 333 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
On a personal note, and I realize it does not apply to everyone:

Whenever CBCS gets around to changing this site to something more workable, with all of the usual suggestions about sales areas, and sections for various subjects.

Please avoid having sections such as an anything and everything area (water cooler).

It will help keep out the politics, religion and global warming chatter.

Thus, keeping me out of trouble. Because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to suffer fools and morons.

But that's just me. I know that most here can and do control themselves.

I'm just asking for a little help. I'm weak, and very very opinionated.

Do me this solid and I will gladly buy you a hamburger on Tuesday.
Post 334 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Whenever CBCS gets around to changing this site to something more workable, with all of the usual suggestions about sales areas, and sections for various subjects.

Please avoid having sections such as an anything and everything area (water cooler).

Thus, keeping me out of trouble. Because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to suffer fools and morons.

Is this serious? Or is this supposed to be some sort of freelance slap on the knee.

I call people out on their BS but to actively pursue a dialogue with who owns the boards to treat you like the snowflake you are...that's pretty funny
Post 335 IP   flag post
Collector SpeedforceKJ private msg quote post Address this user
While I know I'm new to this board, just on a first impression this board is hard to navigate through. I honestly don't like the one page front for all threads. Sections and subsections make a forum so much easier and present better. Don't get me wrong I really do like going through threads right now just looking at peoples collections/posts and seeing people posting their books slabbed or not and other members not getting butt hurt bc someone posted a book from CGC like what happens on another board, this is just my first impression having just came to the board.
Post 336 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Is this serious? Or is this supposed to be some sort of freelance slap on the knee.

I call people out on their BS but to actively pursue a dialogue with who owns the boards to treat you like the snowflake you are...that's pretty funny

It is humor. Lighten up Francis.
Post 337 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak...^^^^ great stuff
Post 338 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
By the by...if people are serious about having a "friendlier environment" than the CGC board...and they're not wrong, there's MUCH that could be improved there...we're going to have to make an effort to 1. tone down the dismissive and inflammatory rhetoric (like name calling and "walls of text"...seriously? On a message board?) and 2. discourage such rhetoric in others.

It makes no sense to say "we're better than the other guys (unless you say something we don't like.)"

That's the reason "across the street" is so bad, and doing the same thing...just from "OUR" point of view...is just as bad, and just as tribal.

Disagree and debate...vigorously...but keep the inflammatory rhetoric and name calling and other expressions of negativity...including upvoting negative comments from others...out of it....IF you don't want to be "like those guys."
Post 339 IP   flag post
Folks...you can't just lock threads (I refer to the CBCS vs. CGC thread) because there's a serious discussion with disagreement going on. In fact, you especially should not when there is serious discussion with disagreement.

You want and need your customer base to be informed and educated, or you will not succeed over the long term. Squelching discussion is not beneficial to you, nor your customers.

People aren't going to be willing to invest in serious discussions if those discussions are going to get shut down. You want the impression of CBCS to be professional, educated, and sober. You want these discussions, and you NEED these discussions.

Locking those out, while allowing people to use your boards to cheerlead or hawk their wares, gives the opposite impression.

And I want you to succeed. The industry needs you, CBCS. I believe in you and support your existence. Be better and do better, because you're needed.
Post 340 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't see a legit reason why the thread was locked. Nothing had happened to warrant any action.
Post 341 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
At the very least an explanation could have been provided why it was locked.
Post 342 IP   flag post
Also, is asking about someone's condition a personal thing now? I get told on a daily basis that I am "crazy" and "aggressive" but if someone has a legit fear of a group of individuals, that's pushing the envelope?

And while we're at it, who is so legitimately dim witted as to not see through blatant butt smooching?

In too many respects this place isn't better than CGC, it's worse.
Post 343 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they didn't like some of your comments? It's their board, they can run it how they choose IMHO.
Post 344 IP   flag post
And I'm inclined to ask, Who asked YOU?
Post 345 IP   flag post
Casey, instead of following me around like a $5 trollup, why don't you get your hockey gear out and meet me and Joey in the Saddledome parking lot at lunch?
Post 346 IP   flag post
Sorry, my fault for the confusion. I was responding to Jerkfro and I should've quoted him.
Post 347 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok - first off, we CAN and will lock threads when we feel it is appropriate. The CGC vs CBCS thread was getting redundant and escalating tempers. There really was nothing left to be said. We let it go until that point. If you feel something STILL needs to discussed - narrow the point down and start a new thread.

Second off, calling people out to the hockey rink will result in a suspension whether it is said in confusion or not.

And finally, we strive to create a friendly atmosphere where people are free to discuss CGC or CBCS and are welcome to post pictures of either companies slabs. That does not mean we will tolerate CGC fanboys who have nothing constructive to say here. Also, I'd like for you to TRY to mention CBCS or post a CBCS slab across the street and see what happens.

Play nice or take your ball and go home.

Peace
Post 348 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Ok - first off, we CAN and will lock threads when we feel it is appropriate.

Of course you can. No one said, nor even implied, that you couldn't, at any point. "Can't just" doesn't mean "you don't have the authority or ability." It's an appeal to reason.

My post was about what you SHOULD do, not what you CAN do.

Substantial difference. Making these types of defensive comments makes you (and CBCS) look unprofessional. I want CBCS to look and be professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
The CGC vs CBCS thread was getting redundant and escalating tempers.

That is your opinion, and as has recently been demonstrated, your opinion isn't necessarily the correct or best one.

The suggestion is to deal with the "escalating tempers"...as you put it...rather than shutting down discussion entirely. And, I might suggest, what you saw as "escalating tempers" may not have been that at all.

Are you sure you're not reading into comments more than is merited...?

But even still, it's sometimes difficult to discuss things, to "hash things out", when there are marked differences of opinion. This message board is a perfect place to do so, even if it appears, or even is, a little heated at times. The goal is to have a better educated customer base, which results in MORE BUSINESS. Squelching discussion ensures that doesn't happen.

And as far as being "redundant"...that's not your call to make. If people continue to post...and it's not the "escalating temper" variety...then, to them, it's not redundant, and shutting it down is inappropriate.

Quote:
There really was nothing left to be said.

That's not even remotely true. Just because YOU think there's "nothing left to be said" doesn't mean other people might not have something to say.

You ought not be making these decisions based on whether or not you think a conversation has "run its course."

Who cares? So long as people are getting along...and they were...what does it matter what course it takes?

Quote:
We let it go until that point. If you feel something STILL needs to discussed - narrow the point down and start a new thread.

Starting a new thread about a locked topic is generally frowned upon in message board communities all over the globe.

Quote:
Second off, calling people out to the hockey rink will result in a suspension whether it is said in confusion or not.

Fine, but that's not relevant to the discussion. If someone says that, deal with THAT comment or THAT person, rather than shutting down an entire discussion.

Quote:
And finally, we strive to create a friendly atmosphere where people are free to discuss CGC or CBCS and are welcome to post pictures of either companies slabs. That does not mean we will tolerate CGC fanboys who have nothing constructive to say here. Also, I'd like for you to TRY to mention CBCS or post a CBCS slab across the street and see what happens.

1. I'm not sure who you're referring to as being a "CGC fanboy." I'm certainly not one. Did you have anyone specific in mind?

2. Who are the people who are offering "nothing constructive"...?

3. What CGC does on its boards is not relevant, and has no bearing on what CBCS does with ITS boards.

Quote:

Peace

You were offered constructive criticism, and you are offered it again. Telling people "if they don't like it, pound sand" is unprofessional, and reflects poorly on CBCS.

The people posting on your boards are being given interesting, insightful, constructive information from a variety of sources. That ought to be encouraged. It makes the general impression of CBCS BETTER.

If you are offended in any way by what I've just said, the problem exists with you. I want CBCS to be the very best it can be. You should, too.
Post 349 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok - first off, we CAN and will lock threads when we feel it is appropriate. The CGC vs CBCS thread was getting redundant and escalating tempers. There really was nothing left to be said. We let it go until that point. If you feel something STILL needs to discussed - narrow the point down and start a new thread.

Peace

This.

Imagine the CGC boards with a thread about CBCS vs CGC.

You can't. Not in your wildest dreams.

Nuff' said
Post 350 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
That is your opinion, and as has recently been demonstrated, your opinion isn't necessarily the correct or best one.

Just to answer this point, the thread was locked with the consensus of the mods and admins. We were on agreement on this.

Also, I take no offense by what you are saying DocBrown. I also want this forum and CBCS to succeed.

My second point was directed at MetalPsi who made a comment on this thread NOT the CGC vs CBCS thread. Normally, I send people a pm. This was a special case. My reasons for doing this are not open for public discussion.

I did not say to start a new CGC vs CBCS thread. My idea was for someone to narrow the topic - like "qualified" labels or the structure of the grading scale, etc.

I hope this helps to clarify some issues.
Post 351 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think what is perplexing us is that all of the so called "heated" stuff took place yesterday, nothing really crossed any lines, and the whole thing ended with valuable information learned. Today the thread gets locked straight outta nowhere like a Randy Orton RKO and nothing exciting even took place today. Had the thread been locked yesterday no one would have batted an eye, locking it today has everyone scratching their heads.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Just to answer this point, the thread was locked with the consensus of the mods and admins. We were on agreement on this.

Then I say this to the mods and admins: if you want CBCS to be considered a professional, top-tier grading company...and it IS...with a professional, top-tier message board, instead of a, to quote, "CBCS fanboy" board, where all anyone does is post "CBCS rules, everyone else drools!" endlessly, you won't do these things going forward.

To use the example, CGC has suffered TREMENDOUSLY, in ways they're not even aware of, by allowing the atmosphere of their message boards to be what it is and has been. They haven't listened to their customers...which is why CBCS exists.

CBCS HAS to succeed. The graded comics industry NEEDS you to succeed. And one significant way you can do that is by elevating the discourse, and not making the same bad decisions that CGC has made for 15 years.

I believe in CBCS. I believe in its mission, and I believe in its validity in the marketplace. I hope CBCS believes that just as strongly.
Post 353 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Then I say this to the mods and admins: if you want CBCS to be considered a professional, top-tier grading company...and it IS...with a professional, top-tier message board, instead of a, to quote, "CBCS fanboy" board, where all anyone does is post "CBCS rules, everyone else drools!" endlessly, you won't do these things going forward.

To use the example, CGC has suffered TREMENDOUSLY, in ways they're not even aware of, by allowing the atmosphere of their message boards to be what it is and has been. They haven't listened to their customers...which is why CBCS exists.

CBCS HAS to succeed. The graded comics industry NEEDS you to succeed. And one significant way you can do that is by elevating the discourse, and not making the same bad decisions that CGC has made for 15 years.

I believe in CBCS. I believe in its mission, and I believe in its validity in the marketplace. I hope CBCS believes that just as strongly.

Well said. I hope the intent of this message is thoughtfully considered, especially the point about the CBCS fanboyism which is rampant on these boards
Post 354 IP   flag post
Oh boy
Post 355 IP   flag post
601460 405 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?