Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

My First CBCS Submission17577

Collector KaptainKia private msg quote post Address this user
I just wanted to share my excitement in receiving my first (of four) CBCS submission back from grading! All three books were sent through pressing and VSP before grading.

The Star Wars #1 and the Action Comics #1 (reprint) are keepers for my collection. I am considering letting go of the Graphic Fantasy #1 (1st Savage Dragon), but the market varies so widely that I am not sure what would be a reasonable asking price. I mean right now there is one on eBay that is a 7.0 that the guy wants $5K for! I am thinking that is a bit much, but I would like to hear back any serious suggestions that any of you may have.

Thanks for looking!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
The Action 1 is very very cool! Congrats!

Do you know when it was signed?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I believe it was signed the year it was printed back in 1992. It was offered thru Dynamic Forces at the time, and there are no dates on the COA either. I know he passed on only a few years after this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
The Action 1 is very very cool! Congrats!

Do you know when it was signed?

Looks like there were 2000 copies signed in 1993 for Dynamic Forces.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Those are excellent books, and some great signatures, too! WOW!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the thread title I'm just so relieved to find out it was written after the books had come back. I was expecting a very different type of thread. Nice books!
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
After reading the thread title I'm just so relieved to find out it was written after the books had come back. I was expecting a very different type of thread. Nice books!

Don't tempt me...
Post 7 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
almost thought you had a near mint action comics #1...then realized....it was a reprint from 92....but the fact its signed by Siegel....impressive

still waiting for my first submission (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #9 aka first Lord Drakkon) to hit grading desk (submitted early nov) but Im being patient. doing my 2nd next month (plan getting amazing spider-man #365 and #4 aka first Silk...maybe Saban's Go Go Power Rangers #8 aka first ranger slayer)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
almost thought you had a near mint action comics #1...then realized....it was a reprint from 92....but the fact its signed by Siegel....impressive

I know right... emotional rollercoaster.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

still waiting for my first submission (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #9 aka first Lord Drakkon) to hit grading desk (submitted early nov) but Im being patient. doing my 2nd next month (plan getting amazing spider-man #365 and #4 aka first Silk...maybe Saban's Go Go Power Rangers #8 aka first ranger slayer)

Thanks! I also have 2 copies of Amazing Spider-man #4 at CBCS now. I saw a color break or two so I don't think they will come back more than 9.4...maybe squeeze a 9.6 hopefully. I have a copy of that MMPR #9 with the Action Figure variant cover. I think I have all the AF variants until issue 13 or 14.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKia
Quote:

Thanks! I also have 2 copies of Amazing Spider-man #4 at CBCS now. I saw a color break or two so I don't think they will come back more than 9.4...maybe squeeze a 9.6 hopefully. I have a copy of that MMPR #9 with the Action Figure variant cover. I think I have all the AF variants until issue 13 or 14.

mine is going to be at least a 9.4. bonus code sticker is removed. But Ill take any good grade. if i get it back as a 9.4 or 9.2 be happy considering what a good chunk of the points are for
Post 11 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Quote:

Don't tempt me...

@WMorse I was thinking more of a "Where the f**k are my books?" thread.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't tempt me...

We get alot more attention on those in the turnaround thread.

No reason to urinate on this guy's thread.

Specailly with that Action 1
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't tempt me...

LOL! I will put more thought into the thread title with future posting. I totally see where you are coming from...
Post 14 IP   flag post
I just noticed something while looking at my Savage Dragon #1 label. Does anyone know what that circle with the checkmark in it means? Its right above the numerical grade. Its not on my other two books and all three had the same process done...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector j_nocera private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just noticed something while looking at my Savage Dragon #1 label. Does anyone know what that circle with the checkmark in it means? Its right above the numerical grade. Its not on my other two books and all three had the same process done...

It means that there was something singular and unusual that brought the grade down. Otherwise, at first glance the book may appear mint... but a funny cut to the cover, or mis-stapled pages, or some other factory mistake that is hard to see.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

That means that the book presents better than the grade indicates. In other words, there's a defect somewhere that can't be seen with the book in a slab.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nocera
Quote:

It means that there was something singular and unusual that brought the grade down. Otherwise, at first glance the book may appear mint... but a funny cut to the cover, or mis-stapled pages, or some other factory mistake that is hard to see.

Yes, like this, too. Something not readily apparent brought the grade down, so the mark is to let you (or a buyer) know that there's a reason for the grade, even though the book looks great at first glance.
Post 18 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Here are the grading notes @KaptainKia:

Graphic Fantasy #1
Ajax Comics Group6 1982
Variant:
Pedigree:

8.0*
Verified
White

Signees:
Verified Signatures: ERIK LARSEN, AL HARRIS & KEVIN CLARK KEYES (all on back cover).

Notes:
signature(s) verified by BAS
rust on staples
small spine wear & stress does not break color
small crease bottom back cover does not break color

clickable text
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks for the explanations. I wanted to be surprised when I opened the box so I didn't look at the grades online beforehand. I didn't notice the grader notes....

I had just noticed that when you posted. I looked real close after I saw the notes, and I guess the staples are discolored a bit. Its like dark areas on the staples, and not the brownish/orange that comes to mind when I hear "rust". Whelp...there's no helping it. I kinda felt is should have been a higher grade, but that explains why it is what it is...LOL
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder if the rust is on the inside? The rest of those defects look pressable.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Wonder if the rust is on the inside? The rest of those defects look pressable.

Even if pressed, it won't raise the grade much as the real defect is the rust.
Post 22 IP   flag post
601511 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?