Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Memorabilia

Wish I had $1,500.00 back in 197317570

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
As a fifteen year old kid I knew back in 1973 that comic books were a good investment and I saved this article.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting that. Interesting read. I wonder how well known Dennis Kitchen was at that time. I had never heard of Bob Beerbohm, Justin Green, or Felix Dennis but they all have Wikipedia pages. Reading about Justin Green's character obsessively trying to deflect "pecker rays" this morning was amusing. And Felix Dennis had been a defendant in the Oz underground magazine obscenity trial, and was publishing work by such artists as Dave Gibbons and Brian Bolland by that time. Later he "built a Nasdaq company turning over $2.5m while on crack cocaine".

Lots of talent at that comic convention in 1973, and that non-credited journalist got quotes from some interesting characters.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Felix Dennis Obituary

Oh, and when Felix Dennis passed away in 2014 he happened to be "one of the richest men in Britain".

That article you posted was a real rabbit hole for me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I knew and worked with Bruce Hamilton, he was a very nice man and passionate hobbyists.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@sborock Would he be this Bruce Hamilton? Soon to become, at that point, the publisher of Gladstone Publishing? Yeesh. Another big name in a small article.

My first searches were polluted with results related to a hockey executive.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Yep! That would be Bruce. He had the 1st book ever professionaly graded when we 1st opened the doors at CGC. 1st Donald Duck.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel

“Wish I had $1,500.00 back in 1973”.

Sounds like you would of needed a little more than that to get the Action Comics #1.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck Meh. Just pick up three or four copies of AF15 instead. You’ll be good.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector xavier private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I could show my dad this newspaper piece.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier

I wish I could have shown my grandmother that article before she burned a substantial number of silver age comics (prior to my birth) that I would have inherited.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier

I wish I could have shown my grandmother that article before she burned a substantial number of silver age comics (prior to my birth) that I would have inherited.

Isn't that awful? I'm 60 and I got to hear how all the parents burned golden age comics when their kids went to college. Aw. They didn't know any better.
Post 11 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
If comics weren’t scrapped, discarded, recycled, they wouldn’t be worth a fraction of their current value. There’d be too many remaining.

IH181: “hold my beer.”
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
If comics weren’t scrapped, discarded, recycled, they wouldn’t be worth a fraction of their current value. There’d be too many remaining.

Makes you wonder why some modern comics have such value. See UF4, for example.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yeah no shit. A comic that shouldn't be so out of control. Desire is a strong motivator.

I ALMOST completed my run of signed, raw Crisis On Infinite Earths run. Most are/were around $45-$50 average. Not no more. The buzzards are no longer swirling, they are feasting. Will I pay $350 for a raw, signed #5? Not on your life. Plenty of them have been signed. TONS of unsigned abound. I can't swing a dead Supergirl without hitting a COIE book.

Golden age and silver, yeah I get it. When IH 181 outstrips a Capt Marvel Jr #1 in the same grade, I'm out. It isn't a matter of "Oh WELL it's the introductory, full appearance of a huge MOVIE DRIVEN character arguably the most important in the Bronze age!"

Keep it. It's heavily populated and nothing at ALL rare about it. The buzzard factor.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Davethebrave
Quote:

My IH181 comment was intended to address that but same applies to UF4.

UF4 has a limited history at such lofty values. Many were calling for Bitcoin to “reach $500k” by 2023, or hailing Cathie Wood as brilliant and dismissing Buffett.

Scarcity has a durable quality that pure speculative demand does not.

Care to guess what this chart represents?

Post 15 IP   flag post
Back to the OP above. Love that bit of history! $1,500 was a serious chunk of change back then but the returns would have been exceptional. Not quite “buying Microsoft in 1986” but still great.
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If wishes were horses then beggars would ride,

If turnips were swords I’d have one by my side.

If ‘ifs’ and ‘ands’ were pots and pans

There would be no need for tinker’s hands!
Post 17 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Davethebrave
Quote:

My IH181 comment was intended to address that but same applies to UF4.

UF4 has a limited history at such lofty values. Many were calling for Bitcoin to “reach $500k” by 2023, or hailing Cathie Wood as brilliant and dismissing Buffett.

Scarcity has a durable quality that pure speculative demand does not.

Care to guess what this chart represents?

This is Warren being Warren.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600760 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?