Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is ToS #40 a key and did I make out okay on this buy?17559

Collector BuffJake09 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I recently snagged this copy of ToS #40 for $45 and was wondering if I got a good deal? I know the condition is poor but from what I see the issues lie with the front cover edges and I bought based off of the description that the interior is complete and I have the option to return it if that isn’t the case. I figure that I did get a good deal if the issue is considered a key and being that it is only Iron Man’s second ever appearance but was unsure of its status in the hierarchy of Tales of Suspense and Iron Man issues.

Thanks in advance!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I have two personal rules. Any Daredevil with a yellow costume or Iron Man with the clunky armour is a win.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
2nd Ironman can’t be a bad thing. The condition is lacking but if you like it, I say good buy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, even with that major spine roll, you got a great deal for under 100 bucks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
I have two personal rules. Any Daredevil with a yellow costume or Iron Man with the clunky armour is a win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
2nd Ironman can’t be a bad thing. The condition is lacking but if you like it, I say good buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Yeah, even with that major spine roll, you got a great deal for under 100 bucks.

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of issue #42 but I didn't think I could pass this one up!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
$45? I would say so. I imagine some sellers out there are charging way more for this issue in similar condition.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I will offer a slightly contrarian view.

But first, at $45 you got a GREAT deal.

But there is an old saying in the hobby. "Not key, just expensive". Often applied to 2nd issues or second appearances. It refers to second issues or appearances where other than being #2, nothing else of much importance takes place.

But then some collectors believe 2nd appearances are undervalued. So there is that thought too.

Regardless, at $45 you did good.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If complete, great deal!! Even if incomplete not impacting story, still a great deal!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
well its first appearance of the gold armor which is called Mach 1 V2.

based on description might be 2nd appearance of iron man (at least before avengers #1 as he had gold armor)

according gocollect. a 2.0's fmv is $725...so Id assume yeah...good deal
Post 9 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@BuffJake09 You did good

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
That's an excellent buy for that price. 2nd Iron Man for $45? That's a no-brainer buy there especially one that isn't coverless.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If complete, great deal!! Even if incomplete not impacting story, still a great deal!

Once it arrives I’ll do an update as to the condition of the rest of the book and share some more photos. I’m excited to see it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Count the pages!!!!!!!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Count the pages!!!!!!!!!

Definitely will do!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quick follow up question… is the comic worth getting graded in this condition? Obviously it would register on the extremely low end but I’m unsure if I should leave it raw or encapsulate it?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@BuffJake09 if you grade it it will help conserve the comic. I'd do it
Post 16 IP   flag post
Is the cost of having it (possibly) pressed, encapsulated then waiting for maybe a year out of your possession worth it to you?

Preservation may also be as simple as putting it in a mylar and then a top loader. People have done that for decades with no ill effects. AFAIC, plastic is the enemy. It off-gasses. The less plastic I have surrounding my books, the better.

As kids in the late 60's into the 70's, we didn't have much money so we were trained by proxy to take care of our stuff.

At this point, I think I would consider slabbing only books that were EXTREMELY valuable.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
id slab it, initial investment is so low that adding a bit more for the grading cost still wont make a difference for your cost. i think it will present better graded as well
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It's not an expensive book. Do you want it graded so you can say you have a graded copy? Or does it not matter? If not then put it in a full back with mylar.

If your next follow up is should you get it restored then I'd say no.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i always feel if the comic is worth it regardless of grade....get it graded....especially in super rough condition. it preserves the grade. as long as its in the case and nothing bad happens to case (like fire, crushed, etc)....it will remain that condition

but really its only worth it....if its worth it for you.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
i always feel if the comic is worth it regardless of grade....get it graded....especially in super rough condition. it preserves the grade. as long as its in the case and nothing bad happens to case (like fire, crushed, etc)....it will remain that condition
You can't polish a turd! But a Mylar would make it look better than a slab. Cheaper too.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
You can't polish a turd! But a Mylar would make it look better than a slab. Cheaper too.

That's what I was trying to say. The slabbing/grading/waiting until the grey hair comes in to get the thing back while the entire cost/process far outstrips the value of the book doesn't make sense from a fiscal POV. If it's worth it to the owner emotionally, then go fritt. I MIGHT do that with ToS 39, but that's a massive key. 40 - while a cool second appearance - isn't a key at all.

Only second appearance key I can think of is IH 181. I'm sure there are others. Even a rat copy of IH 181 sells for more than my truck now. Ridiculous.

I was surprised to see a modern Strawberry Shortcake featured as a recently graded book. A 9.8. I don't get it but the point is people love what they love. I kinda wonder if collectors are going to begin to pull away from the slabby gradie thingy. Sounds like a PITA.

I would mylar this book and not feel terrible if I pulled it from time to time and read it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598103 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?