Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch part 217499

Collector Wyldchyld private msg quote post Address this user

I caught this one last Sunday. Took the picture because of all the spots on the bass. I released the fish not knowing that it is an invasive species that have some how got in the lake. An Alabama bass. I have never heard of an Alabama bass until I saw the posting at the boat ramp. I was fishing Leesville Lake in Virginia.
Post 176 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This past Sunday, my fishing buddy Mike and I tried an 800-acre lake located in Worcester and Shrewsbury, Massachusetts for the first time. We caught some largemouth bass, some small smallmouth bass, and several small rock bass, a species I had not caught before and didn’t even know could be found in this area (bottom picture).

Post 177 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My buddy Al and I were on the water at 5 AM yesterday to try to beat the heat and humidity and get some fishing in on Indian Lake. It was hazy and humid, and we would have liked more of a breeze, but the fishing was very good. I grabbed a 5 pound plus largemouth on a popper pretty early, and Al landed a few nice bass too.

Post 178 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
My son went fishing today and caught 2 things! Time to go to the ER (for his finger, not the fish).

Post 179 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. That bottom picture makes my balls hurt. 😬
Post 180 IP   flag post

@DrWatson I know right?!
Post 181 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Your eye balls?

@OGJackster That doesn't look so bad, I'd use needle nose pliers and have that out in a jiffy.
Post 182 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Your eye balls?

@OGJackster That doesn't look so bad, I'd use needle nose pliers and have that out in a jiffy.
Wire cutters on entry point. Pull out from the point of the hook you can see under his skin.

Jeez @flanders, I hope you wouldn’t attempt to back it out.

For the record, I’ve never had fish hooks lodged in me. 😉
Post 183 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Jeez @flanders, I hope you wouldn’t attempt to back it out.

Do you mean that you'd push it further in until the barb comes out the side of the finger?

I'd actually go to urgent care or the ER as well, unless the guy at the local bait shop had experience and was willing to give it a try. I have no experience with removing a hook that deep. I did watch a couple youtube videos that make it look easier than it probably is.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Your eye balls?

What's funny is he flattened all of the barbs... except he forgot the barb on one hook - guess which one lol! He's at the ER right now getting it cut out.
Post 185 IP   flag post
When I was in my late teens (long, long ago), me and two friends thought it would be fun to go night fishing with three guys in a 12-foot boat. After it got dark (and after a few beers), I was hit in the back of my head with a Musky Jitterbug. One of the treble hooks made its way through my baseball cap (which I was wearing backwards for some reason) and into my scalp past the barb. A few hours later I was sitting in an ER waiting room, wearing a backwards cap with a giant plug on it (and by that time, the neck of my tee shirt was red from blood dripping down the back of my neck). Eventually they tried to cut the hook (didn’t work as it was way too thick - and it hurt like hell when he tried it). So the guy used a scalpel to cut it out and stitched me up. He handed me back my buddy Al’s plug which was none the worse for wear and tear (the cap and tee shirt were ruined) and we ended up getting home after 1 AM. Thankfully it was summertime and my parents were on vacation at the time.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Things went as I thought. Basically, they numbed it up, cut off the top of the hook, and pushed it on through. Much easier than cutting it open, removing the hook, and stitching it up. I'm sure he'll be back out there in no time.

He LOVES going fishing. Here are a few more of his catches.

Post 187 IP   flag post
Was able to get out for a few hours this past weekend. The foliage was awesome, but unfortunately the fishing was very slow. Only a couple of bass and a few pickerel for the effort. My buddy Mike caught the biggest bass of the day. Still a very nice day.

Post 188 IP   flag post
A gulf stream out of little river,SC.

Post 189 IP   flag post

Also caught some flounder and trout in the surf.
Post 190 IP   flag post
I haven’t caught a fish in a minute but I did catch a dog…

Post 191 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad what's with the stache? Were you Hulk Hogan for Halloween?
Post 192 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Forget the stache. Check out those flamingo britches.
Post 193 IP   flag post
I wasn’t Hogan, but if I did it before Halloween I coulda been Jaime Hynaman from mythbusters. I just needed a beret.
Post 194 IP   flag post
Quote:
@flanders Forget the stache. Check out those flamingo britches.
my kid got them for me
Post 195 IP   flag post
Not exactly fishing weather, but I managed to catch one largemouth bass this past Sunday. Temperature was in the low 30’s (degrees Fahrenheit, not Celcius) early morning, but climbed to the low 50’s. Water temperature was 44 to 45 degrees. The fingerless gloves helped a little.

Post 196 IP   flag post
Just like Twain said, if you don’t like the weather in New England now, just wait a few minutes. Went searching for safe ice a couple of weeks ago, found 3 to 4 inches at a few small, secluded ponds on a Saturday scouting mission. Tried to go fishing the next day, and every bait shop with 30+ miles was out of live bait (shiners). So we wait two weeks, and last weekend went out in a john boat on a small pond. It had gotten up to around 60 degrees the day before, and got close to 50 while we were on the water. I caught 6 pickerel, and my buddy Al caught 5 pickerel and a largemouth bass. All fish were caught on suspending shallow-diving jerk baits.

Here’s a picture of Al’s bass.

PS - Colder this week (plus 8 inches of snow Tuesday), with lows mostly in the 20’s and highs near 40. Unlikely to do any fishing this weekend.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Oh man, husky jerks late winter early spring always ruled around yonder.
Post 198 IP   flag post
My son caught this Carp, 16.7 lbs.

Post 199 IP   flag post
The weather has been all over the place. Today it went up to 60 degrees! So me, Al, and Mike went fishing for largemouth bass. The water temperature was 39 degrees when we started, but it warmed up to the low 40’s. We caught 8 bass between us, all on jigs.

Post 200 IP   flag post
My son went fishing on his birthday.

Post 201 IP   flag post
Was able to get out on a small pond for a few hours yesterday. Cold (upper 40’s) and windy conditions, but we still managed to grab about ten small largemouth bass between us.

Post 202 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Say Ed, are you planning on doing any fishing while on your trip to Scotland? I would like to visit there someday. Take some pics for us when you go...
Post 203 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 - I am leaving my travel fishing rod home during the Scotland trip. But I am doing my fishing trip up North to Squam Lake in May with a bunch of my fishing buddies. I will definitely post some pictures from that trip.
Post 204 IP   flag post

Post 205 IP   flag post
619266 259 30