Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch part 217499

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
No catch but working on the outboard for my sail boat

Float looks bad on the carb but it will do it's job - couldn't get everything apart on the carb but did soak it well in cleaner - time to source a new float and some other back up parts -also a quick trip to get new 5/32 fuel line

Engine was stalling in waves at the end of the year and I could never replicate at the dock - with everything cleaned I hope it fixes the issue!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no mechanic but that looks like a carburetor. Man I was so sick of them in my mustang I switched to fuel injection....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I'd say you need a new carb float.
Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that is a carburetor and you need a new float.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O @Davethebrave 100% that is the carb and I need a float - it still does it's job ( I think) - cleaned up what I could - soaked the whole assembly for the parts I couldn't take off.
Need a new fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb (5/32?) so off to the shop later this week.
Just placed an order for a carb repair kit on-line - new float and more on the way!!!

I had a problem last year where the motor would cut out (like it was fuel starved) when in waves - fires up fine at the dock (and in the barrel) although seems to idle and just run better after a soaking in carb cleaner - my launch day is in just over a week so with luck the parts are here first (hate working on it over open water (goodbye into the water small part or tool - can't be that important right??!!)

Really hoping the cleaning has taken care of the issue though...idles fine which should mean the float (while ugly) is still working?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
hate working on it over open water (goodbye into the water small part or tool - can't be that important right??!!)

Yeah. It's even worse when you are 16 and they are your dad's Snap-on tools that you shouldn't have had out there in the first place. Or so a friend told me.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Is it cutting on impact from the waves / wake? Or (less likely I’m guessing) is the prop getting exposed / running really shallow?

In other words, is it jarring action that causes it to cut out or is it spinning fast and then cutting?

I will admit that while I grew up around outboards (and typically old outboards) I haven’t used one aside from rentals in a long time. I DO know cars and if bumps cause an issue it is often loose connections.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure you have a clean fuel filter and stay away from Styrofoam floats...they gunk up way too easy in my experience...which is only with cars but it's all the same equipment as far as the internal combustion engine. I have some carburetor experience myself but on a whole different scale. Also make sure you have good spark plus ith the correct gap...you'd be amazed at what a difference it can make.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I had a b&m supercharger on my mustang back in the day. Gotta love roots style blowers
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to sabotage the thread but I got a couple mustangs...one with the roots type blower that fits under the hood and I think it's fantastic!... Thank you Carroll Shelby!!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Is it cutting on impact from the waves / wake? Or (less likely I’m guessing) is the prop getting exposed / running really shallow?

In other words, is it jarring action that causes it to cut out or is it spinning fast and then cutting?

I will admit that while I grew up around outboards (and typically old outboards) I haven’t used one aside from rentals in a long time. I DO know cars and if bumps cause an issue it is often loose connections.

naaahh....even really large rollers were causing it to cut out (no jarring action) - has to be sediment or something else - hence carb clean and replacement kit on the way

I'll warn the guys as we launch to have a rescue boat ready - I need to cross a fairly swift flowing stream to get to my dock - don't want to end up in the lake!!

Boats.... it's always $#%^ing something!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had to cut a hole in my cowl hood and put an inverted hood scoop for the damn thing to clear. One of my biggest regrets in life was selling that mustang. Custom hood. Custom dash cluster, pure power....
Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m all for car threads. Too many car stories (for me to tell) so I won’t get started here.

Gearing up for some lake fishing soon. While I haven’t dealt with my own gas outboard for years I am happy (so far) with my new electric motor. Good for casual fishing, allowed on no-gas lakes, and easy refills. Just too many months to actually get delivered last year so hope to get heavy use soon.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Looks really high tech. Does it have a meter to show how much juice is left?
Post 14 IP   flag post
It does. Also live updates to estimated time remaining based on current and average throttle.

It is painfully expensive and slow for its price. It is also incredibly convenient and easy to handle/store (and quiet).

I say expensive but there is some modest offset given gas prices lately. It doesn’t replace a good gas outboard for most people but in my current situation it is pretty much ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Looks really high tech. Does it have a meter to show how much juice is left?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
My name, image, and likeness was taken today. I nabbed a channel cat and a rock bass. Best got darn day ive had since I caught my last fish.

Post 17 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Last time I went fishin' I caught a tree limb, the back of a dock, lake grass and a sunburn.. lol...
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
you better believe I caught sticks and grass.

Edit: @Nearmint67, I guess I caught sun as well. It's all good. It kinda looks like a bobber.

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra nice Taco!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave thanks!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Nabbed a little Pickerel this afternoon when I had an hour to burn.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Bakersman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra

Wait a second! You can have that user name and drive a taco? Somethings really fishy here!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Bakersman because I still have this for fun lol.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Bakersman private msg quote post Address this user
That's a fine line your treading a Nissan and Toyota in the same household
Post 26 IP   flag post
First cast this morning:

Post 27 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave nice looking bass.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave play the lotto! Nice catch!
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra I have a taco kin… the FJ. Well, getting closer to “had” one as I just agreed to trade it in.

Will be sad to see it go.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 218 30