Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Is a Signature considered "Damage"??17477

Collector KaptainKia private msg quote post Address this user
I currently have a book submitted for VSP that is signed and numbered with three signatures on the back cover. I only want 1 of the signatures verified as the other two are nobodies and never did any more work in comics after this. However I was contacted and said if I chose to do this then the other signatures would be considered "Damage" to the comic. I interpret this as it will LOWER the grade of the book. I have never heard of this for a signature...verified or not.

I have asked for clarification, but have not heard back as of yet.

What is everyone's opinion as to if an unverified signature is "Damage"?
Also, should or would that lower the grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe it would be considered as writing on the cover and would lower the grade
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Unverified signatures will lower the grade of the book.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Chewy private msg quote post Address this user
The other guys do the same. Most of the time they give the green label as qualified but you can have that ignored and graded with a blue label… they just consider the signature as “damage” since it’s not verified it’s no different than taking a crayon to your own book
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. Non-verified signatures would be considered a defect. I submitted a comic in 2015 for VSP that couldn't be verified at the time. Customer service called and informed me of my options. Either slab it and take the grade hit or send it back raw. I chose the latter.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
An unwitnessed signature that can't be verified is basically graffiti.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I guess I can understand, to a certain degree, why it would be considered damage.

It's just kind of irritating the way it was relayed to me. Instead of saying the book is damaged and will be graded lower, I perhaps would have been more receptive to "your book is a certain grade, but if we verified the signatures it will go up in grade".

It all comes down to semantics and perception.

I am going to fork out the additional $$ to have them verified since this is a Key 1st appearance from 1982 and supposedly only around 300 of these exist.

Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated for my 1st post!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@KaptainKia
Welcome to the forum!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cbcs- needs to either witness the signature...or you pay to get authenticated (it is per signature). you dont have to authenticate it.....but theyll mark the signature (even if its 100% legit) as no different then a kid drawing funny mustaches on their faces

cgc- you can pay to get authenticated but you dont have to. Theyll grade it ignore signature. then label it with a specific label saying signatures not authenticated
Post 9 IP   flag post
CGC will only give books with signatures witnessed by one of their designated representatives the yellow "Signature Series" gold label. Any other signature gets the green "Qualified" label and is essentially considered a scribble on the book.

CBCS has the same kind of witness program that CGC does, but they also employ handwriting expert(s) who will certify that a pre-existing unwitnessed signature is legit (or not) and give that the gold label, too. Totally awesome program.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, damage if not witnessed/verified. ESPECIALLY if done with a ballpoint pen.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Wow! Great responses one and all!

Even though I have been collecting since the mid 70's this year is my first experience at submitting books, both here and with GCG. While I have purchased many slabbed books in the past, this is all new to me so I appreciate the insights. I have about 13 or so books submitted for VSP, and 90 or so other books with CBCS and CGC for pressing and grading.

So far, barring this slight hiccup, everything is going good. Slow...but good.

Thanks for furthering my education and giving me a new viewpoint!

Much appreciated!
Post 12 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKia
I perhaps would have been more receptive to "your book is a certain grade, but if we verified the signatures it will go up in grade"

They probably reworded it because that sounds a little to close to bribery. Pay for VSP or the grade goes down.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
If I signed it, then it would be damage. If a creator signed it, then it might be something!

PDG

PS - Welcome, I am still a newb too...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
CGC will only give books with signatures witnessed by one of their designated representatives the yellow "Signature Series" gold label. Any other signature gets the green "Qualified" label and is essentially considered a scribble on the book.

If the sig is not on the cover you get a Blue label.

If it's on the cover you can request a Blue label, where they consider the sig damage and downgrade according to the size of the sig, placement, etc.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

If the sig is not on the cover you get a Blue label.

If it's on the cover you can request a Blue label, where they consider the sig damage and downgrade according to the size of the sig, placement, etc.

Interesting! I was not aware of the nuances. Thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
only thing keeping me from getting my Secret Wars #8, Edge of spiderverse #2 (5th printing) and new 52 Batan #1 graded....they have unwitnessed signatures. I know they are legit. but cant afford to get them graded/authenticated
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
if it's on the back cover and not super large it might not be that much of a hit?
Thinking about store stamps or dates/initials written and the like that are on back covers -can still get in the 9's if I'm not mistaken
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's just kind of irritating the way it was relayed to me. Instead of saying the book is damaged and will be graded lower, I perhaps would have been more receptive to "your book is a certain grade, but if we verified the signatures it will go up in grade".

Don't overlook the fact that someone took the time to stop the process and contact you regarding the situation. Prioritizing what was best for you over what was easiest for them. It would have been easier and more time efficient to put it through the way it was requested.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Don't overlook the fact that someone took the time to stop the process and contact you regarding the situation. Prioritizing what was best for you over what was easiest for them. It would have been easier and more time efficient to put it through the way it was requested.

That reminds me of when that happened to me, too. I submitted some X-Men and completely forgot that one of them was signed by John Byrne on the first page. I received an email from CBCS asking if I would like to have that book sent to be verified. I cussed a little at never having taken a photo of the signature, and then I said I wanted it verified. I really liked how they gave me the option, as I'm sure they realised pretty quick I'd just forgotten the signature was there.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Not being a fan of signatures on books, I consider ANY writing on a book to be a flaw.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
I perhaps would have been more receptive to "your book is a certain grade, but if we verified the signatures it will go up in grade"

They probably reworded it because that sounds a little to close to bribery. Pay for VSP or the grade goes down.

I think you meant blackmail, 😉
Post 22 IP   flag post
597868 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?