Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Would This be Weird?17457

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious what everyone thinks on this one...

I have two copies of Watchmen #1 signed by Alan Moore (back in ancient times when we would sign DC or Marvel books). His sigs are on the interior pages of the two books.

I'm considering submitting them for sig and remarks from Dave Gibbons. Of course, his sig and remark would be on the front cover.

My question is whether having one sig inside and another on the cover seems weird. I think it kind of does but folks just signed books on the inside pages back in the day. I think I'm going to submit them but I just thought I'd get some of y'all's thoughts.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing weird about it at all. I have some books signed on the inside, but if I had a chance to get a nice signature on the outside, too, I'd go for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I wouldn't let them out of my sight. With TAT and stuff getting "lost", there's no way. Moore didn't sign a lot from what I have seen. And of course if you sub them to CGC they won't verify the Moore signature.

Only way I would have it was handing the books to Gibbons at a con and watch him sign, pay my tithe and skip on out.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@ticktocktyler Thanks for the reply.

Dave Gibbons will be signing through CBCS so I would have the Alan Moore sigs VSP'd then. But, yea, having the books get lost is a concern. Given that, as you mentioned, Alan Moore didn't sign many DC books and no longer does so, I doubt I could replace them.

Decisions, decisions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Nothing weird about it at all. I have some books signed on the inside, but if I had a chance to get a nice signature on the outside, too, I'd go for it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, I've seen quite a few Kirby/Lee combo sigs where Kirby (or his wife 🙂) signed inside and Stan signed outside. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get and, for me, this may just be one of those times.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Sometimes you just have to take what you can get

That's it exactly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
people do it all the time. a lot of times years ago comics would be signed on the inside of the comic. I believe they'll include a picture of the signature(s) on the back if signed on the inside if Im not mistaken

It could be because they sign where their name is or where their portion of comic is (if lets say they did one of several stories in the issue). or could be preference at the time.

I have a trade paperback of a comic story (cant remember which) that I got signed several years ago. They signed on the inside
Post 7 IP   flag post
They used to sign on the inside because the cover was practically sacrosanct. No blemishes allowed, so no signing on it. Signatures went on the first page, the splash page (if it wasn't the first page), or on an interior title page in the case of a creator who worked on a back-up story in a book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd @power_struggle55 Oh yea, absolutely. That was the way it was done back when I first started collecting. Slabbing wasn't on anyone's radar back then. Artists and writers signed inside so that the cover wouldn't be inked up.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd @power_struggle55 Oh yea, absolutely. That was the way it was done back when I first started collecting. Slabbing wasn't on anyone's radar back then. Artists and writers signed inside so that the cover wouldn't be inked up.

We saw that change, didn't we? Stan Lee would plaster his sig anywhere on a cover. Many times in very bad places. Neal Adams seems to have chose places where he will apply his sig so it doesn't interfere too much with the artwork. But then again, he will add a sketch onto some pretty nice books and wreck them. Why should he care?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Me personally, I would not want the sigs in 2 different locations. Maybe Gibbons can sign on inside too. Of course I would want at least a photo afterwards.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips That would actually be ideal but there is a "window bag" requirement. So that doesn't seem like an option for this signing, at least.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
They used to sign on the inside because the cover was practically sacrosanct. No blemishes allowed, so no signing on it. Signatures went on the first page, the splash page (if it wasn't the first page), or on an interior title page in the case of a creator who worked on a back-up story in a book.

always thought it was the material. easier to do it today on covers (even though we do get older ones signed still on cover)

I just remember seeing some episodes of comic book men where a guy brings in an old comic and shows of the front page surprise
Post 13 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Under the indica was the place to be signed back in the day. When the square bound baxter paper books started hitting, the inside front cover was the new place.

You to to remember, there was no pro grading. Mylars were the best to slide books in and out. So you could show off the sigs rather easy. Plus the cover was 90% of grading, so no one was going to mar a cover for a sig.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
My personal opinion, I'd have Gibbons sign the interior next to Moore's signature. I'd keep the cover clean.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Hcanes Unfortunately, for this signing, I don't believe that interior signatures are available.
Post 16 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My question is whether having one sig inside and another on the cover seems weird.

I actually think that would be pretty damn cool. Gibbons created the art on the cover, and Moore created the words on the pages.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus I hadn't really thought of it that way. Good call!! 🍻
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
My question is whether having one sig inside and another on the cover seems weird.

I actually think that would be pretty damn cool. Gibbons created the art on the cover, and Moore created the words on the pages.

What a cool way of looking at it!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Hcanes Unfortunately, for this signing, I don't believe that interior signatures are available.

Ahhhhhh did not realise this was a mail in submission.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597875 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?