Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Question -FF 6717418

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have s low grade copy of Fantastic Four that I am dropping off for grading tomorrow.

On the back cover a small triangular piece is missing. It is about half an inch from the edge of the book to the tip of the triangle.

I do have the missing piece.

The question is whether it would make any sense to tape the missing piece to the back cover.

What impact would it have on the grade?

Would that difference in grade with tape on the cover help or hurt the resale value of the book?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Back cover with missing piece

Front cover

Post 2 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
3.5 if you geta 4 thank your lucky stars but a piece like that out the back cover is generally a 3.5
Post 3 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah probably not use tape, long term it's not good for the book as the tape will yellow, anything else and you'll be hit with amateur restoration and you don't really want that *
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
3.5 if you geta 4 thank your lucky stars but a piece like that out the back cover is generally a 3.5

I could live with that grade.

The question is whether it makes any sense to tape that small piece to the cover or submit the book without it.

Any thoughts?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
The question is whether it makes any sense to tape that small piece to the cover or submit the book without it. Any thoughts?

Tape it with archival tape if you have it. You will be dead by the time it begins to turn yellow and at least the piece will be there in your lifetime. it might be hard to sell the book with the "Tape on Back Cover" notation but you will get a blue 3.5 or so out of it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector caleb1138 private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't add the tape. I think CGC will downgrade you for the attempted restoration.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Nah,I don't think so, check the overstreet grading book, I'm not home ATM but there will be a grade level where tape is allowed in a book.

Personally, low grade books up to say 2.5 with tape I'm like whatever.

Anything higher with sticky tape and I'm like I'll wait for the next book.

Had same problem with this book years ago.
Back cover corner down below was hanging by a thread then broke off.
I threw the piece out and sent as in.

But that's just me hopefully others will chime in and give their opinions as well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I'd send it without it. Piece missing sound better than small piece reattached on back cover with tape. You may have question from buyers on if the tape was deducted from the given grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1138
I wouldn't add the tape. I think CGC will downgrade you for the attempted restoration.

Tape will not be dinged for restoration, but there is a grade limit.

Use rice paper ect. to secure the piece and it's automatic amateur restoration

* Sorry had a few beers, re reading your post you are only saying a grade down for the tape, as I said to DrChaos to check the overstreet grading guide as both companies follow this up to stains where they hammer, think overstreet grading book doesn't hammer as hard.
Apologies as I've had a few beers.

Just started vacation
Post 10 IP   flag post
@drchaos if you're selling.

Grade as is, no tape notations on the cover and as long as a 3.5 price gives you a profit for the cost of the book and grading then all good.

Not sure the FMV for 3.5 but will be a cheaper entry point for some collectors 👍
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wow, I sold my copy which was a fine for 50c with the rest of my Drek that I couldn't haul to the states 8 years ago

If memory serves me correct I had that issue and the Him issues in Thor as well.

Not anymore lol 🤣
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Bronte and if they do any movies around the character then that book could grow.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I would imagine so. I don't have a copy so I don't have a vested interest in the book. Like yourself, I was just curious as to what the book was going for....
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Quote:
The question is whether it makes any sense to tape that small piece to the cover or submit the book without it. Any thoughts?

Tape it with archival tape if you have it. You will be dead by the time it begins to turn yellow and at least the piece will be there in your lifetime. it might be hard to sell the book with the "Tape on Back Cover" notation but you will get a blue 3.5 or so out of it.

Archival tape will get a Restored label.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have s low grade copy of Fantastic Four that I am dropping off for grading tomorrow.

On the back cover a small triangular piece is missing. It is about half an inch from the edge of the book to the tip of the triangle.

I do have the missing piece.

The question is whether it would make any sense to tape the missing piece to the back cover.

What impact would it have on the grade?

Would that difference in grade with tape on the cover help or hurt the resale value of the book?

It's a small piece on the BC, the rest of the book considered, that small piece missing will have a negligible impact on grade.

Archival tape may (likely) get a restores or conserved label.

Scotch acid free tape (non-archival) is what I've used with such books but uts always a roll of the dice as you want a blue/Universal grade/ label with just a note about the tape on the label. Not a PLOD or a Conserved label.

I'd just sub this particular book, as is.

There's a few threads on tape over on the CGC Forums worth a read that explain what tape on which defect gets what grade etc....but yeah, just sub thus one as is.

You have very little to gain, maybe half a point (if that) and andva lot more to lose ie PLOD with just an extra half point or no bump at all.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Send it in as is and sell the piece separately on comicconnect.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

It looks like taping the piece is a bad idea.

I just wanted to bounce the idea off everyone here before submitting the book.

Heading out for the show after I get a much needed shower and breakfast.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think you made the right call by not taping
Post 20 IP   flag post
600654 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?