Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Jim Steranko Books - Grading Opinions17393

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I dont mind cover signatures on books that are already flawed...you know, like water damaged or otherwise not perfect. I dont really think there is much difference if the person is dead or living. I bought my Hulk 1 signed by Kirby on the splash, while he was living. I wouldnt want it on the cover now that he is deceased for any reason...in fact a huge part of the appeal was the way that signature looks between the hulks feet. Conversely, I have two stan Lee signatures..they are both books graded 9.8 but were not all that sought after particularly so who cares that he wrote on the cover..one is an Emma Frost 1 (thanks Poka) and the other is a Spider Gwen 1....cause when you get around to understanding autographs, the book is just a medium to bear a signature. Honestly I would almost never have a higher grade nice silver book mucked up with someones writing unless on the indicia. ...almost never, the one exception being this book

Logo Steranko designed, on the 50th issue, with a good girl art cover (Character somedeay to be Polaris, although no, this isnt her first appearance as Polais) Monochomatic cover, and one of the most amazing silver age covers there is. Just the book in this grade has sold above 1,000, and with the signature who knows?

Notice, the most expensive book I posted is the lowest grade and most damaged, but also worth more than ten times all the others in my post combined.
Steranko is pushing 83 by now....its likely Kirby signed my book at the age of 67 . The greats arent getting any younger and soon it wont matte what book is signed...so much as that it IS signed
Post 26 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
You know what would be really cool for him to sign? The first issue of his History of Comic Books.

Course I would want him to sign it as "The Man Who Slapped the Shit out of Bob Kane"
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos The fact is, Steranko's signature is so pretty, it doesn't matter which books you choose.

I would definitely get all the #1s signed though.

He's one of the greats!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
American Flagg
Post 29 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz58
American Flagg

Now that's an underrated book. I can't believe how little attention it gets. I'll be sending at least one of my copies regardless of FMV.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Steranko did some American Flagg? What issues?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Steranko did some American Flagg? What issues?

WOW, how long did it take me to figure out what a sheeple I can be!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have this Steranko I haven’t sent in for verification yet, looks like it was signed with a regular ink pen.

Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I have this Steranko I haven’t sent in for verification yet, looks like it was signed with a regular ink pen.

Is this not the 1st John Buscema Marvel interiors?
I have this book and I think I have it signed by Buscema. I guess that's why I'm wondering.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
I would absolutely LOVE to have him sign my XMen 50. I didn't have it when I met him in 2019, but picked it up last year.

When is his signing?

PDG
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, thats really the book to have him sign since he designed that logo that first appeared on that book ....and with the monochomatic cover having it signed in green is the capper!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Sent my X-Men #50 in for the Steranko signing. It's only mid-grade, but with that stunning cover and Steranko's stylish signature, who cares? Can't wait to get it back.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I read Strange Tales 151 is Steranko’s first work for Marvel. For what that is worth.

“Is this not the 1st John Buscema Marvel interiors?
I have this book and I think I have it signed by Buscema. I guess that's why I'm wondering.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
My googleninja skills just helped me figure out I have missed the deadline for his signing...

Well, crap....

PDG
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I read Strange Tales 151 is Steranko’s first work for Marvel. For what that is worth.

My bad - you're right. I was confused
Post 40 IP   flag post
Big John was working doing interiors for Atlas before he moved into non comic things. Stan talked him into coming back and doing the superhero thing again. Strange Tales 150 may be the first thing he did when he came back.

Here is a link to his work. Sadly it is in alphabetical order instead of chronological order:

http://mike.jersey.free.fr/Buscema.htm?fbclid=IwAR3aRz5HO1DXqnpYr1sv8Rry6R0iN_goLMQdIYbpIV9on_IdId2RXOgibaM
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
Big John was working doing interiors for Atlas before he moved into non comic things. Stan talked him into coming back and doing the superhero thing again. Strange Tales 150 may be the first thing he did when he came back.

Here is a link to his work. Sadly it is in alphabetical order instead of chronological order:

http://mike.jersey.free.fr/Buscema.htm?fbclid=IwAR3aRz5HO1DXqnpYr1sv8Rry6R0iN_goLMQdIYbpIV9on_IdId2RXOgibaM

This is one of the 5 or 6 graded books that I've purchased in my lifetime. And only because I could not find it anywhere in high grade. Some listed this as a BIN for (I think) $149 and I couldn't get it into my cart fast enough. 1st John Buscema work on a comic book. A Canadian edition too from 1948!

Post 42 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 That is so cool! And what a 'STEAL' for just $149!!
Post 43 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I had a chance to go through all of the books carefully and will be getting these signed today:

1. Nick Fury Agent of Shield (1968) # 1 - this book does have water damage.
3. Nick Fury Agent of Shield (1968) # 1 Copy B
5. Strange Tales (1951) # 157
7. Strange Tales (1951) # 163

The other three books just don't seem to be worth the cost.

I also have a Shanna the She Devil book that is an easy yes.

Today I get five books signed by Jim Steranko.
Post 44 IP   flag post
601338 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?