Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Jim Steranko Books - Grading Opinions17393

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This Saturday I will be attending a comic show where Jim Steranko will be signing books at a cost of $50 each.

I was sitting down to evaluate seven books to see if they are worthy and thought I would share them with the forum.

All books have complete interiors with tightly attached centerfolds.

Any inputs on the grades would be appreciated.

1. Nick Fury Agent of Shield (1968) # 1 - this book does have water damage.
2. Nick Fury Agent of Shield (1968) # 1 Copy A
3. Nick Fury Agent of Shield (1968) # 1 Copy B
4. Strange Tales (1951) # 153
5. Strange Tales (1951) # 157
6. Strange Tales (1951) # 161 - this book does have water damage.
7. Strange Tales (1951) # 163

Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Remaining Pictures

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Start with the lowest grades first to have signed...since they will be cover signed and futher damaged anyways, but the damage caused by writing on them is a signature that will raise their desireability. Choose how much total you want to spend for signing working UP from the bottom rather than down from the top . Similar to all the coverless silver books you see signed by Stan or this person or that one..drive the lower values, not the higher ones
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Start with the lowest grades first to have signed...since they will be cover signed and futher damaged anyways, but the damage caused by writing on them is a signature that will raise their desireability. Choose how much total you want to spend for signing working UP from the bottom rather than down from the top . Similar to all the coverless silver books you see signed by Stan or this person or that one..drive the lower values, not the higher ones

Thanks for the input but I am looking to do the opposite.

If the signature can not add $50 to the market value of the book I do not want to spend the $50.

I understand that some people do not like signatures but I prefer them.

With that said I am looking to be smart about how I am spending on them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If the signature can not add $50 to the market value of the book I do not want to spend the $50.

In this case I would only have #1 signed. Although I like the others for personal collection, I don't think they have a deep enough market demand to sell easily for $50 extra with a signature.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Another thing to consider is if some of the books are are already nice enough to be graded this might be a convenient way to get a book slabbed while adding a signature. That Dragon cover in particular on 163 looks to be in pretty nice shape. That one always catches my eye...I think it's an under-appreciated piece of Steranko art. If had one in that good of shape I would include it with the submission even if it didn't immediately make complete financial sense. I suspect it will make financial sense down the road.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
When books have an indicia on the 1st page, that's where I go with the signature.
I take a picture of the signature page, print it, and insert in the slab when I get the slab back.

I do not like signatures on the cover of old books. Just my preference. When mail in signings occur I recognize interior 1st page is not an option, but when it is an option (when seeing the artist) that's what I do
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Getting #1's signed is always a good plan, but also look at any keys, because a signature will enhance the value of those, too.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at bidding on a lower grade NFAOS 1 Raw on Hipcomics, so did a look see at the CGC consensus and found this:

Decided against it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I didn't know there was a Nick Fury AoS #1 out there in 9.9!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input but I am looking to do the opposite.

I understand that some people do not like signatures but I prefer them.

With that said I am looking to be smart about how I am spending on them.
yes, which is why you are going the diametric opposite direction of what you should be....was my entire point If the book has a base value of say 10 with the water damage and you add the signature you have made a reason for someone to buy an otherwise pointless book, or created a 60-70 dollar sale out of the 50 dollars spent. its just smart business...not everyone that wants a Steranko signature also wants to add another 50 or 75 for the book itself. The elitist attitude is what hurts sellers.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Not an elitist attitude but looking to properly allocate limited resources.

Every $50 spent on a signature is money that could be spent elsewhere.

That money could be used to buy books, pay for grading fees, or to get some other book signed.

When an artist is charging $5, getting the book signed is an easy choice.

When the artist wants a whopping $50 the bar for which books to get signed is higher.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Getting back to the original point of the thread the second copy of Nick Fury # 2 looks a bit better than the first one.

Any opinions as to the grade?
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Getting back to the original point of the thread the second copy of Nick Fury # 2 looks a bit better than the first one.

I think you're in the 7.0 maaaaybe 7.5 on a good day. The front top edge of the book appears to have some issues and the back has some dirt. It would probably benefit from a clean and press.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I think you're in the 7.0 maaaaybe 7.5 on a good day. The front top edge of the book appears to have some issues and the back has some dirt. It would probably benefit from a clean and press.

Thanks for the input.

I think the book might need to hit a 7.5 with a press to make the signature worthwhile.

I will take a closer look at it in the daylight tomorrow.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
I had him sign my NFAOS 1 in 2019 just for my own purposes. His signature is probably the most beautiful out there in my opinion. I got to talk to him for a few and he has some of the best stories. I had no idea, but he is probably (yet unsurprisingly) the worlds leading expert on The Shadow. Some of that knowledge was involved with his contribution to the Indiana Jones movies. Absolutely fascinating man - and does NOT want his photo taken unless its with a pretty girl.

PDG
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've got this book with CBCS right now for the Steranko mail-in signing.

I guessed the grade to be a 7.0...but might be a 6.5.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town

That money could be used to buy books, pay for grading fees, or to get some other book signed.

When the artist wants a whopping $50 the bar for which books to get signed is higher.
So the question was not really what do people think, but would they please reinforce your own opinions, got it. Lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town

So the question was not really what do people think, but would they please reinforce your own opinions, got it. Lol

I wanted to know what people thought about the condition of the books.

I already know that I want to make a profit on my $50 investment.

You seem to be missing the point of this thread.
Post 19 IP   flag post
or you do, sorry. IF the books are damaged and WOULD NOT SELL otherwise, signing them creates an entire new set of sellable books. Pretty simple concept...and best investment there is here given the terms. You can add all the signatures you want to higher grade books but that does not alter the concept of book value plus cost of signature to resell. Apparently that is somehow missing in your understandings. no worries, have fun..yes you can mark them up through the roof and sooner later they will sell, but most would and do see through that sort of thing.

Also Steranko is not a young boy anymore, so get all you can while you can. Tomorow is never a sure thing
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
or you do, sorry. IF the books are damaged and WOULD NOT SELL otherwise, signing them creates an entire new set of sellable books. Pretty simple concept...and best investment there is here given the terms. You can add all the signatures you want to higher grade books but that does not alter the concept of book value plus cost of signature to resell. Apparently that is somehow missing in your understandings. no worries, have fun..yes you can mark them up through the roof and sooner later they will sell, but most would and do see through that sort of thing.

Also Steranko is not a young boy anymore, so get all you can while you can. Tomorow is never a sure thing

As I already own the book, not getting it signed means I neither gain nor lose anything. If nothing else at least I could read it if I wanted to

Much like buying a lottery ticket could get me more money than I paid, having a worthless book signed might get someone to pay me for it eventually.

As I only have limited money to spend I need to assess the risk of whether or not I will ever see that $50 again after paying for the signature.

When I look at actual sales that others have made on ebay and elsewhere I can clearly see that the odds are much, much greater that someone would be willing to pay a premium of $50 for a graded book when the grade is higher.

Rather that pay $50 to get two worthless books signed the odds of success are much greater if you paid $50 for a better book and spent the other $50 to have it signed.

I am sure we could go back and forth on this but I had other intentions for this thread when I created it and I would appreciate your understanding.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Yes my only thought then is if the only correct answers are the ones that agree with your opinion why did you list the water damaged books as possibilities when you yourself refuse to accept that avenue? That comes off an awful lot like trolling. Have your fun..I get it now
Post 22 IP   flag post
@drchaos I've been on the forum for about 4 years now and I don't think we've ever done a transaction together but I've never thought of you as an elitist or a troll, lol.
I got to meet Mr. Steranko back in January 2020 and I don't think he's been back in my area since...at least not at a show that I wanted to attend. I think I ultimately had something like 12 books for him to sign...7 witnessed and 5 raw for personal collection. My only regret after my 15 minutes with him and 3 hours standing in line is that I didn't bring more books to get signed. I constrained myself with an arbitrary budget and, over 2 years later, that seems silly in retrospect. I have sold off most of the witnessed/slabbed books and it easily paid for the rest. I don't know if I will ever get another chance at an in-person signing with him. It was a bit awkward holding up the line with 12 books. But I did go through the effort and expense of attending the show and standing in that line. I wish I had been a little more greedy in terms of getting more books signed by him. Another suggestion I have is to make buddies with the people next to you in line. You can trade off holding place in line for each other while you shop the show. I know that at least 3 of the books that I had signed were purchased at the show while someone else held my place in line.
If you can manage to pick up a copy of Spy Man #1 between now and the signing, that's a book that has significantly different value with a Steranko signature than without...being his first professional work. He also seems to enjoy seeing it and signing it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Actually it was 6 unwitnessed signatures on raw books:

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
When books have an indicia on the 1st page, that's where I go with the signature.
I take a picture of the signature page, print it, and insert in the slab when I get the slab back.

I agree with this in most cases. But I make an exception for Steranko signatures. I want those on the cover. Also for any dead artist/creator...I prefer those signatures on the cover.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I dont mind cover signatures on books that are already flawed...you know, like water damaged or otherwise not perfect. I dont really think there is much difference if the person is dead or living. I bought my Hulk 1 signed by Kirby on the splash, while he was living. I wouldnt want it on the cover now that he is deceased for any reason...in fact a huge part of the appeal was the way that signature looks between the hulks feet. Conversely, I have two stan Lee signatures..they are both books graded 9.8 but were not all that sought after particularly so who cares that he wrote on the cover..one is an Emma Frost 1 (thanks Poka) and the other is a Spider Gwen 1....cause when you get around to understanding autographs, the book is just a medium to bear a signature. Honestly I would almost never have a higher grade nice silver book mucked up with someones writing unless on the indicia. ...almost never, the one exception being this book

Logo Steranko designed, on the 50th issue, with a good girl art cover (Character somedeay to be Polaris, although no, this isnt her first appearance as Polais) Monochomatic cover, and one of the most amazing silver age covers there is. Just the book in this grade has sold above 1,000, and with the signature who knows?

Notice, the most expensive book I posted is the lowest grade and most damaged, but also worth more than ten times all the others in my post combined.
Steranko is pushing 83 by now....its likely Kirby signed my book at the age of 67 . The greats arent getting any younger and soon it wont matte what book is signed...so much as that it IS signed
Post 26 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
You know what would be really cool for him to sign? The first issue of his History of Comic Books.

Course I would want him to sign it as "The Man Who Slapped the Shit out of Bob Kane"
Post 27 IP   flag post
@drchaos The fact is, Steranko's signature is so pretty, it doesn't matter which books you choose.

I would definitely get all the #1s signed though.

He's one of the greats!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
American Flagg
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz58
American Flagg

Now that's an underrated book. I can't believe how little attention it gets. I'll be sending at least one of my copies regardless of FMV.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600870 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?