Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

WHICH HAS MORE MERIT1739

Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at purchasing either a 9.2 PGX graded book or a 9.0 CGC. Which one would have the higher merit in the actual grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the price difference if you ask me. I would take a chance on a 9.2 PGX assuming that it's probably an 8.5 if it was cheap enough.

(I would trust the CGC 9.0 to answer your question, wouldn't trust the PGX 9.2 but I might take the chance.)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'd have to see the books in question, but if basing this off reputation, I'd go with CGC 9.0 over PGX anything.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I'd have to see the books in question, but if basing this off reputation, I'd go with CGC 9.0 over PGX anything.
The pictures I'm seeing of the PGX book are a bit hard to see any noted damage. My worry is the reputation of PGX and what other's have said about them. I figured that if I get the CGC book I can get the signatures on it that I want and then have pressed/cleaned before submitting to CBCS.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Buy the book. Not the label.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Buy the book. Not the label.

That's truly best advice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@slq955 get better pictures. Or if you're really serious about the book get the grade notes so you know what you're getting. Dont buy a book just because of a label, it could have a flaw that YOU hate but others might not.

Basically exactly what @conditionfreak said with more words 😆
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
The pgx is going most likely going to drop. But you can probably get the pgx for way cheaper. Depends on if you want the gamble of the major grade drop.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
If it is a non modern book, definitely stay away from PGX don't trust them to notice any restoration.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Just treat PGX slabs like scratch off lottery tickets, sometimes you win, usually you lose. But gambling can be fun if you can afford the risk.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I have had good luck with PGX books. Get decent scans and the free notes.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I won't touch a book in a PGX (or any of their previous names). I have a few that I got slabbed by them years ago before I learned how much of a dick Patterson was and then refused to buy or consider buying a PGX graded book. I simply will not encourage anything that would make folks continue to use their service. The books I own in PGX slabs will eventually be in CBCS slabs.

I would consider a CGC graded book provided it is not in any of their new cases.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I won't touch a book in a PGX (or any of their previous names). I have a few that I got slabbed by them years ago before I learned how much of a dick Patterson was and then refused to buy or consider buying a PGX graded book. I simply will not encourage anything that would make folks continue to use their service. The books I own in PGX slabs will eventually be in CBCS slabs.

I would consider a CGC graded book provided it is not in any of their new cases.
Thanks for the input, I just found the book through another sight that has good reputation and it's $40 cheaper. Though right now I'm worried about about the Daredevil 181 CGC 9.4 I got off of ebay recently. Opened the box for it last night and it looks like one of their newer cases.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If it's the newest new CGC slab it is less risky. If it's a Creep Engine without an inner well then I would crack it open.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If it's the newest new CGC slab it is less risky. If it's a Creep Engine without an inner well then I would crack it open.
How can I tell the difference between the 2?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@slq955 you can see the inner well that holds the comic. If the comic is just floating between the outer shell then it's the Creep Engine that causes damage.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
The best way to tell is that the label says CBCS instead of CGC
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
I have had good luck with PGX books. Get decent scans and the free notes.

How did you get PGX to actually provide you with grader's notes? I used the antiquated messaging system and didn't receive any response...

The ease with which I can get notes from CBCS is a huge benefit IMO.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
The best way to tell is that the label says CBCS instead of CGC

Post 19 IP   flag post
597941 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?