Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector PikesComics private msg quote post Address this user
Good Morning everyone!

So this morning I reviewed my newest order and recieved checkmarks on 8 of the 70 books I submitted. Do we have any data on how these books do sales wise in comparison to a non checkmarked book of the same grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikesComics
Good Morning everyone!

So this morning I reviewed my newest order and recieved checkmarks on 8 of the 70 books I submitted. Do we have any data on how these books do sales wise in comparison to a non checkmarked book of the same grade?

No.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I’d be shocked if there was any real difference based on the checkmark.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers

I think it depends on the book, the age of the book and the rarity. Most check marked books indicate that a book displays better than the assigned grade would indicate.

If for example you have a Hulk 181 with 6 check marked that displays like an 8, people might be more willing to buy your 6 at a premium above anyone else's 6.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I've sold several check-marked books, and it didn't seem to have any impact on the selling price at all. I agree with @Briten though. A book that displays better than others of the same grade might be more desirable to some collectors.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
If you were to press a check marked book, would it be worth it? I understand the underlying value of the book. My example is a 9.4 with a check mark. Where may it land?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79
If you were to press a check marked book, would it be worth it? I understand the underlying value of the book. My example is a 9.4 with a check mark. Where may it land?

Depends on why the book is ✔ marked.

A checkmark automatically doesn't mean that a book has pressable defects that if pressed would bring a grade bump.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikesComics
Good Morning everyone!

No data exists because it's not something that can be compiled due to why a given book is check marked.

If you know how to market your books beyond just looking at GOA/GoCollect for sales data, than the answer is yes, they can sell for more, as a general rule.

2 factors to consider:

IF a checkmark, graders notes and/or clearly visible defects on the slabbed book indicates the book is undressed and will get a CPR bump.

Or if impressed and the the same applies, but it's not likely to get a bump from a CPR, books that a checkmark basically points out a book is unpressed will often sell for more bc many collectors don't like buying pressed books.

There are other things to look at but my free, unsolicited advice and inner 10 cent lemonade stand clerk would tell you "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

Really, it has to be looked at on a book by book basis.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I've sold several check-marked books, and it didn't seem to have any impact on the selling price at all. I agree with @Briten though. A book that displays better than others of the same grade might be more desirable to some collectors.

Depends why the books are check marked and how you market them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
They just preset better than the given grade. Personally I’d lean toward the ✅ if we are only talking appearance. I’d probably be willing to pay a bit more for the ✅, but based on the exact book. 5.0 HoS 92 vs 5.0✅ HoS 92 with similar defect; I’d likely throw an extra $50-$100 at you if I’m still in a good price gap at a 5.5. That’s how my elitist keyboard warrior side feels anyway.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers

I think it depends on the book, the age of the book and the rarity. Most check marked books indicate that a book displays better than the assigned grade would indicate.

If for example you have a Hulk 181 with 6 check marked that displays like an 8, people might be more willing to buy your 6 at a premium above anyone else's 6.

Yes, rho I'd say this applies to non-mega keys as well.

But either way, it's still a book by book evaluation process and how you market the explanation of the checkmark is 90% of possibly getting more money.

One book I can think if offhand that tge checkmark had no effect on was a superman #74 (or #73, the 1st doomsday cameo app with a white cover background)...the 3rd or 4th print (not a DCU logo, just a later print as no DCU's were made for that book).

A CGC 9.8 popped up recently for $1000, than the seller dropped it significantly.

I got a 9.4 from CBCS on that book back around 2015 and sold it for like maybe $20 or so above grading cost.

I dry cleaned n pressed it about a few months after buying my first jumbo seal press in 2014...it got a checkmark for "rubbing" or something like that due to the fact I had erased a black ink mark on the cover which left rubbing n stripped gloss....I didnt know better at the time, may very well have gotten a 9.8 as the ink may have been viewed as a manufacturing defect , if I had not erased it.

That's an example of a check marked book that won't fetch a premium, lol.
Post 11 IP   flag post
597867 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?