Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS Original Art Program OAPMemorabiliaQuestionsSignatures

What types of artwork are Qualifed for OA?1737

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I have many works of ltd artwork, but I don't know if they are elible or not.

Here are a couple of samples...are tbese eligible?

Any suggestions for authentication, outside PSA?

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
The size is the problem.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The maximum dimension for OA materials are 10.25 inches tall by 7.25 inches wide
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
How would I go about getting a piece "verified" as they were not done by an "artist" so to speak. I have two cover recreations that a friend of mine did a few years ago (my wife had her do them as our anniversary present). I can easily have her contacted and such ... but how would that work?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
The maximum dimension for OA materials are 10.25 inches tall by 7.25 inches wide

Are you talking in general or just sketch covers?? because the original question did not mention if it was just sketch covers which then would fall under those dimensions. OA in general is any size since it's falls into all original art be it a sketch cover, sketch card, single, double page spread, etc... & standard OA pages are 11x17
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Sirtoddington That's the maximum size that CBCS can encapuslate in their OA labels
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the answers folks.

So just to recap....11x17 is the largest piece of OA that can be encapsulated? Or is the max of that of a standard comic size?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Sirtoddington That's the maximum size that CBCS can encapuslate in their OA labels

I was trying to figure out what the original question meant. only asked what qualified as OA not what could be slabbed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
Quote:

I was trying to figure out what the original question meant. only asked what qualified as OA not what could be slabbed.

Glad you tried to help, but I was hoping a moderator could explain.

I see comic art at a variety of different levels and perspectives, but I've really only seen two types of art discussed as being "qualified" - as in - the art meets the requirements and is within the parameters of the CBCS service.

I'm not finding anything definitive.

Will CBCS only autheticate sketches with sigs, or will they also do numbered (I.e. xxxx/300 or un-numbered) prints with original sigs?

As you can see by my examples above and other posts I've made, I actually have many kinds. What about a signed comic art poster - within a certain size? I know McFarlane and others signed many of these (at no charge) in the 90s when comics began to take off again.

I now also know that PSA does authentic original concert posters, and some of those can be quite large in size

How extensive is this service for CBCS and how much of it can be used? They do seemed to have comic ed many authenticating services for us to use, But being a new member, all I am trying to so is piece it all together for the new year and my own use.

Does that help define the original question?

Thanks again for all who took the time to view and respond. Appreciated!
Post 10 IP   flag post
"They do seemed to have comic ed many authenticating services"
typo - combined many.....

Sorry for the confusion.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I hope I can help some here.

The Art label designation is a third type of SERVICE that CBCS offers. The other two being: Certified and Signature services. This service is designed to help focus the attention to the artwork and not to the grade of a book. Just like the signature service, the Art service has two labels, authentic and verified.

The authentic is when BOTH the artwork and the signature go through an authorized witness from the artist to CBCS, just like an authorized signature comic.

However, since there is cool artwork on art cards, backing boards, sketch covers, etc out there that is not witnessed, you can use the verified services and get an Art label. They will only verify the signature NOT the artwork.

The maximum size for the artwork is 7.25 by 10.25 inches.

As to content, I DO know that some extreme adult themed artwork will not be encapsulated. I'd suggest you contact CBCS before sending anything too graphic as I don't know what criteria is used for this.

As for other items, mini posters, prints, etc. that have ONLY a signature, I am not certain if they will do them. I do know that there is a facilitator that has an agreement to get signed pictures encapsulated in an authentic style label, but I can't remember the specifics. I'm battling a bad case of the flu right now, but I will see what I can dig up on that.

Hope this helps.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

As for other items, mini posters, prints, etc. that have ONLY a signature, I am not certain if they will do them. I do know that there is a facilitator that has an agreement to get signed pictures encapsulated in an authentic style label, but I can't remember the specifics. I'm battling a bad case of the flu right now, but I will see what I can dig up on that.

That would be Authentic COA that does the slabbed 8x10 photographs
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

That would be Authentic COA that does the slabbed 8x10 photographs

Thanks @dielinfinite!!!!!!!!!!! That is spot on!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Jesse_o

Thank you....that clears it up from my end.

Is it in the cards to expand the size limit?

I know some oversized comics (Big Guy and Rusty - Miller / Darrow) is a much larger book series than the norm.

Would this book be restricted, since it is not of the current slabbing size?

Thanks again J!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Rumor mill has it that CBCS WILL be grading magazine sized comics in the near future. That's been fairly well established but with no time frame given.

Just MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, I would expect that an announcement will be made before we hit the ramp up of 2017 cons ... say late May, early June. That is totally my prediction. Since the Art program uses existing slabs, I would think this would increase the size limit for Art submissions. Since magazine bag size is 8.75 x 11, I'd expect that to be the approximate size.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Sounds like a good start. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the insight.
Post 17 IP   flag post
598061 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?