Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Spare a Grade? Batman #6317282

Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone, I was wondering what you thought the maximum grade this book could get. I am not quite as experienced in grading books of this nature.

Also, if I were to slab it would you recommend pressing it? I don't usually bother pressing a book unless it will increase the grade. My gut feeling is that in this instance pressing it would not increase the grade, but I would like to hear your opinion.

The back cover is detached, but the front cover is still attached. The book is complete.

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought 1.0 for detached, split covers. But I've seen a 2.0, and the book didn't look as nice as yours, so . . . No Clue At All.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Thinking 2.0. The color really pops but that detached cover kills the grade. Could be lower grade even, and I don't think it can be pressed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
Overstreet says:
1.0 "Spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book"
0.5 "can have extremely ragged spine or a complete, book-length split"

CBCS says:
1.0 to 1.5 "The spine and/or cover may be completely split."

Despite the fact that the rest of the book looks pretty nice, it seems like it may be capped at 1.5. Pressing probably serves no purpose because the rest of the book already looks nicer than a 1.5 to me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
Im thinking 1.5, maybe even 1.8. This is the exact kind of book I like to buy, regardless of how low the grade is it’s gonna present really nicely.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus3000
CBCS says:

Despite the fact that the rest of the book looks pretty nice, it seems like it may be capped at 1.5. Pressing probably serves no purpose because the rest of the book already looks nicer than a 1.5 to me.

Ok, I lied - I remembered this as a 2.0, makes more sense (even tho I still think it should be a 1.0 or less)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I was also thinking 1.5, too bad about that back cover, nice looking book
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with everyone 1.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks everyone!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus3000
CBCS says:

Ok, I lied - I remembered this as a 2.0, makes more sense (even tho I still think it should be a 1.0 or less)

Dunno, I think 1.0 or 1.5 is reasonable for that FF.

But it does pose the question of whether books like it should be taped (neatly along the length of the interior FC and BC along spine)....maybe it would've hit 2.0 with "tape on interior" on the universal label?

For this Batman, I'd have to think that given the chance of getting slammed with a .5 vs the likely odds of getting a 1.8-2.0 if the BC was raped along the length of the interior at the spine....it SHOULD be taped.

Would still get a blue label, as well....just a note on the label wrt the tape.

That said, I'd press the book before taking it and subbing it....9r, send it to a presser who can do a good job of doing so.

Bet it gets a 2.0 if taped and pressed.

Roll of the dice otherwise as that Famous Funnies I posted a couple weeks back is an outlier...most split cover books get stuck with a .5.

Kinda relevant....
I've noticed CGC in particular, hammers books with remainders/title logo stripped books as .5 and IMCOMPLETE, on the blue label.

Saw a mid 40's Key Timely PCH book like that, it would have been around a 5.0, if not for the cut out logo.
Post 10 IP   flag post
600719 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?