Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

In-Person Kirby Signature / Autograph17270

Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
Hello The Board,

Does anyone have an image they can share of a đź‘‘ Jack Kirby đź‘‘ signature/autograph that was performed by the man himself in front of their own eyes? Eyes that experienced Jack placing a writing implement directly to a substrate so that there was no question as to whether or not the name was written by his hand?

Thank you for your time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be interested in seeing that. From what I've read, so many books were signed by the wife that I can't imagine there being too many photos of him signing out there.

Personally I settled for an authenticated signature on a book and a signed print which I never did try to authenticate.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Best I have is one that BAS states would likely pass full authentication. I did NOT see it hand signed, but I highly suspect it is real for several germaine reasons. First , It was present on the book when I bought it and there was no upcharge for the signature . Kirby was alive and well signing things when it was purchsed in 1985 or 1986. Second, at that time signatures were not a thing like they are now..people still did it , but it was not like it is now , with so much cost and everything involved. Third, the signature was purchased a year or so after Kirby appeared some six hours away at Dallas Fantasy fair, suggesting he might have signed the book at that show. I have always felt it was legit, but I did a fast glance through BAS and they stated it would likely pass full authentication.

Finally, it just looks right and appears on something I think he would have respected enough to sign himself .

Even then, who knows right? I did not see it signed, but I want to believe its legit and everything argues in favor of it being so.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Perhaps @sborock can weigh in on what BAS uses for their source material in regard to Jack Kirby's signature/autograph?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I recall Steve mentioning that he had at various times had Kirby sign books for him in person, although he said the books were long gone and sold sadly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
not sure if anyone ever saw this - but if you go fast, it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to sign 3,000 autographs. this video is john cena. i suspect the older the person, the longer it takes, or the less they sign.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=523058248944975
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
Not done in front of me but here is one that passed. Hopes it helps

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
not sure if anyone ever saw this - but if you go fast, it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to sign 3,000 autographs. this video is john cena. i suspect the older the person, the longer it takes, or the less they sign.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=523058248944975

Wow, 3000 signed pieces in little over an hour. Thanks for sharing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
The only signatures which “regularly” cannot be verified are Dynamic Forces series from the last few years of his life. His wife continuously denied signing things for him, so maybe an assistant or son/daughter helped.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Mark Evanier was supposedly another of his ghost signers, and it was suggested in some circles that Kirby had as many as four of them. I do know I have seen books sold that were supposedly documented as Roz signing his name so who knows.
Post 12 IP   flag post

The above screencap shows the result of Jack Kirby signing his name on video in late 1982. Happy to have found a verifiable early 80s example!

Video below:

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyShortBox

The above screencap shows the result of Jack Kirby signing his name on video in late 1982. Happy to have found a verifiable early 80s example!

Video below:

Wow. That was awesome. I wonder if she kept that page.

Kirby would have made a good inspirational speaker at a Mafia seminar:
"Wee cuh doo bedder. We WANNA doo bedder." ULP.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Bollldog private msg quote post Address this user

Back in the late 70’s Jack visited our LCS and signed about 25 books for me. Here’s the page from my FF52. I was really young at the time and didn’t realize how cool it was for him to sign so many. Free of charge back then too!
Post 15 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
600840 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?