Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

I want to sig verify an artist but i cant tell if CBCS knows them17267

Collector irishhawk private msg quote post Address this user
So I called up the cust serv and got the voicemail. Told them I had some blank covers being sketched on and signed by Mel Uran but was unsure what I needed to do to secure a sig verification banner with CBCS since she hasn't done and comics, just some of their trading cards. Can y'all offer any insight?
(Also this is my first ever post so I have no idea what I'm in for here)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jcbruch private msg quote post Address this user
Since the signature program is associated with Beckett I tried looking under there list of signatures that Beckett has and did not see Mel Uran listed. Usually Steve from CBCS looks at these discussions so maybe he can give you some better insight
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
A good place to start is Beckett’s list since they are the ones that will be doing the verification. I don't know how comprehensive it is but if it shows up there then they should be able to verify it.

Beyond that, I would email Beckett to ask.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Are you trying to get the whole sketch verified or just the signature? They will not assume the sketch is from the person who put the signature on it they will only verify the signature. You might be better off having the artist submitted with an artist submission form and then you'll get the yellow label where everything is official.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector irishhawk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Are you trying to get the whole sketch verified or just the signature? They will not assume the sketch is from the person who put the signature on it they will only verify the signature. You might be better off having the artist submitted with an artist submission form and then you'll get the yellow label where everything is official.
Where do I get said form and such?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector schmoff private msg quote post Address this user
can i get the form and have the artist fill it and then i can end it in with the book?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@schmoff

no only the artist can submit for “authentic”- that is the grading cost +$5…

If you send in you must pay to verify it for $25 (first sig)- then $15 for any additional (I think that is the price- i don’t do too many multi-sig)-
Post 7 IP   flag post
@irishhawk I have it 😂

Let me know email to send it to or private message me and I’ll send it to you
Post 8 IP   flag post
ok but if i send in a sketch cover with the form filled out by the artist they can verify that, correct?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoff
ok but if i send in a sketch cover with the form filled out by the artist they can verify that, correct?

I'm not 100% certain, I think you can do that. I'm still not 100% clear if it has to come directly from the artist or if it's just that the form needs to be with the submission.

@Jesse_O

I've only done this once. I sent all the submission information to the artist and included a pre-payed mailer for them to send everything at once.

I'm pretty sure @Cowabunga_Kyle does this process regularly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 - Tim is no longer with CBCS.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@esaravo Thanks. I hadn't seen anything from him in a long while so I tagged Jesse too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@etapi65

Any original art or signed book must come directly from the artist or writer (to be authentic witnessed)- cost here is applicable grading cost + $5 witness fee- an ARTIST AGREEMENT must accompany this with submitter’s info and artist’s info / signed by artist-

If sent from submitter (not originator of the the signed or original Art piece) then you can only “verify” the signature (done by Beckett)- this cost is $25 first sig then $15 each additional (last time I checked that is the pricing)- YOU DO NOT need the ARTIST AGREEMENT in this case-

they cannot verify “original art” after the fact but only the signature- original art must be witnessed (I.e. done at a show with CBCS attending or sent directly from the artist is permissible)-

For Verification it must be a signature that is on their list of Verifiable names (a link to that is earlier in the posts)- I’m not as familiar with this as I’ve only had them verify big name artists / writers so never had a problem-
Post 13 IP   flag post
@schmoff not exactly-

AUTHENTIC WITNESSED:
(MUST COME FROM CREATOR / signer)
In other words creator can’t mail to you then you mail to CBCS (it will be rejected)-
ARTIST AGREEMENT is only for the artist submitting (not verifying)- this is for authentic witnessed label. Cost here is applicable grading fees + $5 witness fee-

VERIFICATION (VSP):
(JUST SUBMITTED WITHOUT CREATOR)-
If VSP (verification)- you don’t need anything from the artist or any form- just submit with VSP service (what name you want them to verify on your comic)- (Beckett handles the verifying of names)

This is riskier option as it could fail verification (and still cost you $25)- you pay that no matter what-

If you choose “encapsulate even if fails verification” then you also pay grading / slabbing- you get the book in a slab graded but it says “name written on cover in marker” and most likely deducts from the grade then-

But you can choose “do not encapsulate if fails” then you only have to pay the VSP fee (no added grading / slabbing fee)- book is returned to you raw-
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 What @radd76 says.
Post 15 IP   flag post
ok i think i understand but what if i send a sketch cover and they verify the signature, since they don't verify the sketch what then goes on the label referring to the sketch? and does that deduct from the grade? sorry for so many question but its complicated and i dont see this answer anywhere
thanks
Post 16 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@schmoff here's an example I found on ebay. If the signature is verified, the sketch doesn't count against the grade.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector SGT_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
For consideration, I have two VSP books with signatures from creators who are not on the Beckett signatures list, so apparently it's possible. I have no idea how they accomplish this... I do a lot with independent publishers, who often attend small-scale shows at which no witnesses or facilitators attend. I had intended to send in a few more such uncommon signatures, but now I'm doubting.
Post 18 IP   flag post
thanks jesse_o that clears it up, i appreciate it
Post 19 IP   flag post
@SGT_Comics Beckett also offers a service for $10 to check signatures where you upload an image or a link (say to an auction site) and they will give a determination and it is quick usually 24-48 hours. This may be a good stop gap to test a couple more obscure signers- Since it is Beckett that "verifies" for CBCS.

Keep in mind it is not as in-depth review as the submitted signatures with CBCS BUT it should work very well for a test to see if it is possible to verify the obscure signature and that way before committing to $25 per signature- and then once you have a go on one you will know it's at least possible on that one from then on-

you either get "LIKELY TO PASS"... "UNLIKELY TO PASS" or "CANNOT MAKE A DETERMINATION"... for that third one you will be refunded the $10 if they cannot say "LIKELY" or "UNLIKELY" to pass. I know i have been refunded several times!

I'm sure their list of names they can verify will only grow over time and with every submission / check on signatures only provides more examples to cross check- so win-win there for Beckett/CBCS and the submitters.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@schmoff what @Jesse_O says.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I recieved a "cannot make a determination" on an auction with their quick and dirty screen and when I submitted acyual book I got the pass. It was a kirby signature so major win.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@etapi65 - Tim is no longer with CBCS.
Was he fired?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Bronte …you are very lucky- my Stan Lee + Jack Kirby did not pass. Kirby is very difficult since his wife was signing for him there at the end- ugh.

But also makes sense that in this special case they would want to see it in person so submitting a picture may not be best idea on a more difficult one to determine (knowing many fakes are running around)-
Post 24 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. I spent a small fortune on the book and it was signed by 3 folks. All passed.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Skcatch private msg quote post Address this user
Still waiting to see what happens with my submission. I sent in 9 Rick and Morty sketch covers that I did the art on and signed. This is my first submission and had no idea what I was doing and I chose authentic witnessed(no other paperwork). I emailed customer service and they said I should be good because it made it pass quality control. I'm guessing it passed because I'm the submitter and it's my signature, but I'll have to wait and see(fingers crossed).
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I've been down this road before. Obscure signatures hard to verify.

My next submission to beckett when it arrives

4 I know of. One guy never heard of.

Long story short due to authenticity verification probably will take longer than 3 to 4 months.

Be patient it takes as long as it will take
Post 27 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
I've been down this road before. Obscure signatures hard to verify.

My next submission to beckett when it arrives

4 I know of. One guy never heard of.

Long story short due to authenticity verification probably will take longer than 3 to 4 months.

Brent Anderson, Klaus Janson, Andy Kubert, Frank Miller and.....? Who's the last one?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SGT_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio

Brent Anderson, Klaus Janson, Andy Kubert, Frank Miller and.....? Who's the last one?

The first one is Brad Anderson, the last one is Brian Azzarello. It's a Dark Knight III hardcover signed by the whole crew.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I asked this before..

So let's say I send a box of comics to a creator. (We've already talked about it as well)

The creator can then sign and send them to CBCS via under my account? (Yes I'm paying for the grading.)

I just want the "authentic" signature on it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601275 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?