Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeGrading Help Needed

Spare a Grade for ASM 19417205

Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
Hey folks

First post, new to comic grading, and looking to find some good raw candidates for grading submission. Always been a comic collector but looking to get into the slab side of things.

Anyway, I just got this ASM 194 and I’m curious what everyone thinks it will grade? I blew it on missing the 1/4 spine crease on the cover, and am curious if I should take advantage of the seller’s return policy.

Thanks for any input and advice!

Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Solid "B"
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Without a thorough, point-by-point inspection, I'd ballpark it at 6.5 or 7.0.

Whether to return it or not really depends on how much you paid for it. That book is fairly warm right now.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector sdr2711 private msg quote post Address this user
Also depends are you in it for revenue turnaround? Conservation? Or a personal attachment?

Your answer pretty much answers most of your questions given your responses from the group.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I was looking to find an ASM 194 for my collection that would grade above 8.0; figured I could convince myself to part with the money for one if I could tell myself “it’s an investment” 🤣.

However, once I got the book in hand; it didn’t quite look like an 8.0 to me. Think I’m just going to return this one folk! Thank you so much for the quick help!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Londonman454 private msg quote post Address this user
From what I can see and assuming what I can't see is good, I would hope for a 7.0. Good luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Did you count the pages to make sure they are all there?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Briten Ooooooo; good point. I didn’t want to take it out of the mylar sleeve until I was comfortable with the state of the covers. Once I got those better experienced than I m to give me feedback on the covers; I was going to move on to looking through the book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest always starting with the "fundamentals" for comics being considered for grading. Count pages, look for pen marks, make sure the centerfold is attached, look for rust on staples, make sure nothing is cut out, etc. After that, THEN look at the condition of the covers. That way, once you are sure the interior is solid, you can get a better idea of the grade. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by thinking you might have 8.5 or higher, judging by covers only, just to have .5 because it's incomplete.
Post 9 IP   flag post
And yes, I learned that the hard way.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O crap…..that’s a good point…..incomplete would obliterate any book I bought…….

Thanks for the advice everyone; learning alot!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hey folks, I wanted to ask everyone’s opinion on what the vendor is calling “distributor paint”. I don’t think this is distributor paint, but want everyone’s opinion.

This is the dame vendor I bought my copy from; it’s making me wonder how trustworthy is this store……but then again: I’m a total noob over here.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@Cnight do you mean on the bottom? I've never seen distributor's ink on the bottom. I'm not going to say it couldn't be, but I've never seen it. I'd want to see a side picture of the bottom before considering it though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O yea; the bottom front and back

Gotcha covered; find the pics attached
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
Here’s a CSBC 9.0 with distributor ink on the bottom (different book of course, but attaching for reference).

I just can’t see the raw copy being distributor ink……but I really don’t know dick from squat.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Honestly, it looks like water damage to me. And you really can't see the bottom of the interior pages in either photo. Is there a picture of an interior page? Is there actually any color?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you for being so helpful; I was feeling bad about possibly initiating a return for my purchase but am beginning to think I am dodging a bullet.

Post 18 IP   flag post
That looks like distributor's ink now. If there was no color,
I'd have guessed water damage.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ooooo ok; so since it bled through, then it’s for sure distributor ink. Gotcha; glad to know he’s on the up and up (hate to strike off a vendor that has the resources he has available).

Thanks for being so helpful!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnight
I was looking to find an ASM 194 for my collection that would grade above 8.0; figured I could convince myself to part with the money for one if I could tell myself “it’s an investment” 🤣.

However, once I got the book in hand; it didn’t quite look like an 8.0 to me. Think I’m just going to return this one folk! Thank you so much for the quick help!!

A link to the original BIN or auction sale?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder find it below; and feel free to laugh at how bad I swung and missed at this one. At least I learned quick and wasn’t the poor souls throwing over $1k at a raw copy (like I saw just the other day).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403517108032?nma=true&si=Xf44i54nhc4Biptjo%252B2n7XoZZFQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 22 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder oh and if you meant the posting for the second one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203852084821?hash=item2f7687f655:g:-u8AAOSwC-ZiIlTq
Post 23 IP   flag post
So I returned it; no way on earth was this going to work out for me in getting the grade I wanted. My love for the book made me want to keep it anyway, but figured I could spend the money on an already graded copy.

Long story short: I found a 9.0 CBCS graded copy for only 20% more than I paid for this raw one; it even has some spine wear that doesn’t break color, which I figured I can have fixed and re-submit for a 0.2-0.4 grade bump.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Thank you so much for the help everyone!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
which I figured I can have fixed and re-submit for a 0.2-0.4 grade bump.

Keep in mind there's no guarantee you'll get a bump, even if it looks better.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Siggy oh 100%; just probably take the shot at it for kicks and giggles. I’m going to be submitting some comics for pressing and cleaning anyway to Joey or Avery, so I may as well spend the extra few bucks and see if I can squeeze out anything.

Thanks for the warning though; I appreciate you making sure the noob knows the risk.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Siggy oh 100%; just probably take the shot at it for kicks and giggles. I’m going to be submitting some comics for pressing and cleaning anyway to Joey or Avery, so I may as well spend the extra few bucks and see if I can squeeze out anything.

Thanks for the warning though; I appreciate you making sure the noob knows the risk.

I'd recommend Joey over Avery for pressing, FYI.

Good call on the return, that seller deserves it.

Just looked up those 2 auctions and the prices realized there are straight up criminal.

Both look to be around 6.0's.

High feedback sellers who sell in auction format tend to get well above FMV for slabbed copies on hot keys, up to a certain dollar point.

Can you post a link to the raw that sold for 1K?

I searched ebay under sold auctions and only see slabs sold in the $900-$1200 price range, 9.4 seems to be good for about $1100 in auction.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder damn; I just deleted it from my favorites but I should be able to dig it up from my bid history!

I was going for that >$1k raw one, but it was half of that before the last 2 minutes. I learned my lesson with no pain though; thank God I didn’t have to just eat this one.

Spoke with Josh today; he seems super solid, but I would totally love to be able to take advantage of Joey’s skills. Is Joey that amazing???? I’m beginning to think the man is a god amongst men with the miracles I’ve seen him work through other’s pictures.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder found it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125209041168?ntype=bns&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11002.m43.l2649&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=eaa8a0388f774eeebcf68eea9ca49202&bu=44581708852&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20220324200125&segname=11002&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cnqt%3Dnqt%2Cnqc%3Dnqc%2Cmdbreftime%3Dmdbreftime%2Ces%3Des%2Cec%3Dec%2Ceprlogid%3Deprlogid%2Cexe%3Dexe%2Cext%3Dext%2Cexe%3Dexe%2Cext%3Dext%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Post 30 IP   flag post
601311 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?