Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Spider-men #1 store variants print run?17197

Collector Peterm12772 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know what the print run was on the store variants?
Here is a list of what I know is available:

Mile High Comics
Comics America
Play The Game Read The Story
Elite
New Force
Coliseum
Astro Zombies
Cards, Comics and Collectibles
Comic Book University
Comic Outpost
Dragon's Lair
Forbidden Planet
Heroes Aren't Hard To Find 30th Anniversary
Leeters
Millennium Comics
Planet Comics
Quantum Collectibles
Texas Toyz
Third Eye
Two Cats
Wade's Comics
World's Best Comics and Toys
The Source
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know for sure, but I assume 3,000 was the minimum order. I would guess that most stores stuck with that minimum.

Also, you're missing one book from your list - Italy Comics.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I read somewhere it was 500 on the minimum order. I will have to check again. I figured somewhere they would have posted what was printed. Some of these seem harder to find than others. Mile High comics version which I figured would be the highest print run sell for more than the others.
Post 3 IP   flag post
http://www.spidermanfan.com/2012/06/spider-men-1-full-comic-shop-variant.html?m=1
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Most common is usually 1000 on a Virgin and 3000 on a trade dress if paired.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes it is normally. They allowed 500 as lowest. It's confusing on how they state it. Almost as if every 500 you get a store copy. But I know that can't be right.

"Spider-Man #1 has come and gone, and it's a pretty good story so far. More importanly, the issues brings along with it a slew of comic shop retailer variant covers. Marvel invited comic shop retailers to purchase a minimum of 500 copies to get their own personalized cover to the issue"
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
Today's standard of 3,000/1,000 was not yet a standard back when these came out. I think they are lower than those numbers across the board.

Regarding the Mile High version, they did a remarkable job of setting a high price to get a copy (go figure) and holding up that number so they controlled the minimum a copy would ever be sold for.
Post 7 IP   flag post
One thing I'm happy about (years back) is I purchased the set of store variants ungraded minus Italy version and the Mile High Comics variant was a CGC 9.8. This lot also included 2nd print and Newsstand editions of #1. Before the hype.
I'm in search of the Italy variant now to finish the set. Then onto the other variants to complete the #1 set.
Post 8 IP   flag post
600892 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?