Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Insurance Question17179

Collector Hawley private msg quote post Address this user
I understand that I should insure my comics for the FMV.
Here's my issue.
I have 25 books to have graded. The FMV for many of them is quite high.
After completing the submission, the "return shipping Fed Ex" is almost as much as the cost to grade alone (I am not having any pressed as they have already been done).

This seems crazy to me. Basically doubles my cost! Almost 1000 to almost 2000, after insurance. Which makes me think they are not worth having graded.
I don't know, nor can I find the stated "tiers" of insurance. Or I just don't understand what that means.

After submitting the comics, I had it cancelled to do it all over again.
I don't know how much it will cost until I submit.
(I didn't want to resubmit my books until the first submission was cancelled in fear I will be charged twice and have to carry that charge for months before it is refunded. It took over 2 weeks to have the original submission to be cancelled... I don't want to do that again.)

Is this normal? To basically double your cost to grade because of insurance?

Edit: also, it says $73 to ship. That amount is added to my total. Is this the shipping it will cost me to get from my home to CBCS? When I take my box to Fed Ex, will they say, "yep, you'll be charged $73 on your card later," or are they going to expect me to pay for shipping to CBCS right now? I would think that it is the latter, but why is it included in the total? Or is that the shipping back to me with out the insurance included? It's not that clear to me.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have your own fedex account or can you use uour workplace fedex account? That might make it cheaper depending on your rates.

However, after reading about one guy's story of not having enough coverage on his books because he opted for UPS, vs fedex, I would be extremely wary about skipping out on insurance.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Shipping questions:

You pay for the shipping from your location to CBCS, and then CBCS charges you to ship it back after they are done grading. That charge will occur as soon as they receive your books.

Someone who uses FedEx more than I do will need to answer the insurance questions. Sorry.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
There's plenty of Canadians on the forum. Someone will chime in and give you an answer that will lead you to likely send even more than 25 comics in.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I found this FedEx shipping rates in US
This looks more reasonable, even if the amounts are USD.
I am attaching the image.
What happened when I did the first submission, the Shipping rate that came up *after* the submission was 793.00

The chart above does not even come close to that amount even at the maximum. ($268 for up to 200,000 insurance for up to 30 books)
This is where I am so confused as to why it said 793 for me.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The cost of getting the books to CBCS is on you, it's not done through their site. The $73 is your return shipping cost. I'm not sure where the additional $800 or so in insurance is coming from. I don't remember ever being offered the option to buy additional insurance through CBCS. Is it possible that when you put in the insured values it changed your grading tiers and prices?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
The cost of getting the books to CBCS is on you, it's not done through their site. The $73 is your return shipping cost. I'm not sure where the additional $800 or so in insurance is coming from. I don't remember ever being offered the option to buy additional insurance through CBCS. Is it possible that when you put in the insured values it changed your grading tiers and prices?
@EbayMafia - your last line is probably the key to the issue.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector drloko private msg quote post Address this user
Get a collectables insurance policy. The annual premium will cover damage to your books where you store them, and cover damage in transit to/from graders. For that $1K difference you could cover $250K in collectables for an entire year.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
When I send books to Oakville or Dallas I pay for the insurance but the return is always through CBCS with no option to add insurance to the base rates - no idea what would happen if they went missing or got damaged on the return trip (hope to never find out!!!)

I would 100% not trust any info you find about shipping on the CBCS sites though - they have not been updated in a while - the below is what they have for return through CBCS Canada and a small order of mine recently ended up at $43 vs the $28 on the chart!!

Right now I've been playing with fire and testing to see if the Oakville in person pickup will work -only $12 and I live like 30 or 45 minutes away - will have to let the community know if it is a viable option since we lost the CBCS Canada rep and now have some Beckett sales rep - who knows if anyone at the facility will be available for in person pickup??

I would have to say trust the calculator - shipping rates and fuel surcharges are hitting the company I work for something fierce - have to imagine that increases are there for personal items too (not just ocean shipping containers!)

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
If I was going to have expensive books graded, I would hand carry them to office and pick them up in person when they are finished.

I wouldn't have piece of mind otherwise.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@sleeperbat

The guy is apparently from Canada. I don't think hand delivery is really an option....
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
vacation time!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@sleeperbat

The guy is apparently from Canada. I don't think hand delivery is really an option....

in the before times I would only send 2 or 3 orders a year to CBCS and would hand them in person to the CBCS booth at a convention.
Saved shipping and insurance to CBCS - bonus as I was at the conventions anyway
I'm now going to try pickup in Oakville - I guess since it is a 3rd part distributer hired by CBCS then all the insurance etc. that CBCS carries would still apply?

Sure not everyone lives close enough to try the in person pickup - but if we go back to conventions and CBCS is there then 100% hand delivery is an option!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
I wanted to thank you all for your input.

So I re-entered all books, decreased the insurance value slightly, and submitted. There was no change in the shipping!
I am thinking now that perhaps it was a glitch of some sort.

That being said, I am attaching photos of old invoice compared to my new invoice. (one was printed - showing only the return fed ex fee - and the other a screen shot of my updated submission)

Whew... I was worried that I bought a membership for nothing and was not going to ever get my books preserved. Thanks again all!

Post 14 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Hawley - Welcome to the forum. A lot of the members here are great resources. Hopefully you'll post your comics here for your mail call.

Cheers!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Hawley $73 bucks isn't too bad for the return shipping
judging from the 1st few books we can see it seems like you have a really nice submission going in!!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
598072 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?