Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCertified Comics For SaleComics Modern AgeFor Sale

Noobs are the experts on slabs and God forbid if yours isn't good enough17138

Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Damn, I keep holding off on switching to Mercari because the audience is just nowhere near the size you get on eBay. But stories like this just edge me closer and closer.

**edit.. and I too have blocked this douchecanoe
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I was about to put a bunch of Raws on eBay.

I used to sell all the time on eBay (well, all the time for an amateur "I need money" type seller, and this was years ago mid 90's, 1996 or 1997-2005 if I remember correctly) ... but I always tried to be the best seller I could.

I had a few people that returned things and if I remember correctly I believe they were all due to my mistakes. I remember there was a Silmarillion "1st Edition Editors Proof" copy that was actually just a normal First Edition, and an open package that I thought was unopened because it was double-sealed ... that sort of thing. In all those cases I just accepted the return and etc. and left them positive feedback, sorted it all out ... it was almost like it was a much nicer more pleasant community back then. Even though it was much weirder.

I got ripped off once or twice and I left the buyer VERY Negative feedback, which you could do at that time, but never unfairly so, they always deserved it.

eBay was much less "retail" feeling ... it was all just mostly normal people making auctions and not superstores and warehouse buyers ... you could even buy guns and some very weird shit back then. I'm sure you still can, but eBay now feels much more like a place where China dumps it's crap , like "Wish" or something ...

It used to be comics, books and Antiques were where I hung out every day and now I hardly go there unless it's to see a comic listing from MCS.

Oh well. Good old days I guess. I wanted to sell some RAWs on eBay and now y'all got me scared. I need the money but I don't need the hassle.

Maybe I will try this Mercari that was mentioned if that's the best alternative or maybe MCS. None of my RAW's are graded, though.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrFreeze
Arg that sucks. Someone gets buyers remorse, wants their money back and your eBay rating is held for ransom.

Not necessarily true.

You can dispute a return and win, if you CALL eBay....you'll lose a dispute 99% of the time if you don't make a phone call.
Post 28 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrFreeze
Arg that sucks. Someone gets buyers remorse, wants their money back and your eBay rating is held for ransom.

Not necessarily true.

You can dispute a return and win, if you CALL eBay....you'll lose a dispute 99% of the time if you don't make a phone call.

If you have "Returns Accepted" you can't dispute it at all. They can return it for any reason and ebay will always side with the buyer.

If you have "Returns Not Accepted" you can dispute it and if there isn't a valid reason for them wanting to return it eBay may decide in the sellers favor.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Over time, as word spreads, loopholes turn into magnets. For years Costco had an unlimited return policy. Over time it attracted more and more people who wanted to be able to upgrade their computer or TV every couple of years by returning the old one. Ebay has reached this point, where the return policy loopholes have changed the overall demographic of buyers. Attracting an ever increasing number of buyers who are there because of the loopholes.
Post 30 IP   flag post

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would have been tempted to respond, "Reason for Buyer refund: Dumb Ass."
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Over time, as word spreads, loopholes turn into magnets. For years Costco had an unlimited return policy. Over time it attracted more and more people who wanted to be able to upgrade their computer or TV every couple of years by returning the old one. Ebay has reached this point, where the return policy loopholes have changed the overall demographic of buyers. Attracting an ever increasing number of buyers who are there because of the loopholes.

This is so true about the world. And it is true with all abuses of positive things.
I can remember joining a after work Basketball/vollyball recreation that my company graciously took on for its employees to exercise after work at an adjacent elementary school.
One individual bought his friend. Friend was a good guy - no one complained.
Then other friends came - most were good guys - winces began though
Then friends bought friends.
Then an argument with a knockdown fight
Next thing ya know we lost the entire gym after work.

Abuse from something that is good is often an outcome and everyone ends up suffering due to the behavior of a few.
Post 32 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay sellers are just as bad. Ebay also does a poor job of rectifying seller issues, fraudulent listings, etc.

I despise Ebay but it is often useful. It just requires a lot of buyer/seller awareness and some risk tolerance.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector semperfi_ny private msg quote post Address this user
Just checked out that ebay user (thegoondocksmichigan) items for sale. He has multiple Spider-Man and also has the same ines grouped together as a lot. All graded, certification numbers on the individual listing are also in the lot ones. What a POS! He seems like a huge scammer and his prices are outrageous. Asking $100 over what a 9.8 is worth and they're 9.6.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
This item is fake, there is a crack in the case the top label is not covered or put on correctly, the edge splits alone would take this out of a 9.8 category. And there is shit all over the book, WTF! REFUND ASAP!

By the way, this is not just a refund request...It's an accusation of fraud. And if you shipped by USPS it is an accusation of a federal crime. I personally would not stand for it. I would get a written correspondence going with Ebay and point out that these are legal matters. And if they side with the buyer, they are agreeing with these accusations of legal wrongdoing.
Post 35 IP   flag post
The buyer also has some of the worst “positive” buyer ratings I’ve ever seen.

Multiple sellers posted positive ratings (to get their review posted) but with commentary about him being a scammer.

If you do file a complaint with ebay’s useless customer service, reference those other reviews. Ebay CS may need some handholding. Because buyer seems a relatively small fish, you may end up with a (somewhat) positive outcome…
Post 36 IP   flag post
The irony is the accuser here appears to be the fraudster.

Quote:
Quote:
This item is fake, there is a crack in the case the top label is not covered or put on correctly, the edge splits alone would take this out of a 9.8 category. And there is shit all over the book, WTF! REFUND ASAP!

By the way, this is not just a refund request...It's an accusation of fraud. And if you shipped by USPS it is an accusation of a federal crime. I personally would not stand for it. I would get a written correspondence going with Ebay and point out that these are legal matters. And if they side with the buyer, they are agreeing with these accusations of legal wrongdoing.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a large ebay store - non-comic related. Clothing mostly. Over 6,000 items easily. And ebay returns ALWAYS sides with the buyer. Ebay is trying to add customers to its platform by any means necessary in order to compete with Amazon.

We all know how easy it is to order something from Amazon and return something you bought from Amazon. Well, ebay wants it to be that easy for their buyers too.

Consider it part of doing business. If you sell a lot, your return rate is around 1%. Ive gone 12 months without returns, then 3 returns in one week. It just happens. You cant take it personally.

For me - you just got to eat the return, hope it comes back to you in resellable condition, and then relist it for sale.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

Quote:
Quote:

Ebay's TOS makes your process irrelevant. Your only recourse is small claims lawsuit against the BUYER, not ebay.

Ebay wins all lawsuits. Many times they dont even show up for small claims and they still win summary judgements.
Post 39 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
God might be in the allowing biz rather than the forbidding biz.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Ebay is putting themselves at risk of FTC violations when they cleanse or limit negative reviews in order to increase transaction volume.

The time will come when an enterprising lawyer sees the $ from bringing a class action lawsuit on behalf of buyers AND sellers.

As applied here, limiting the ability for others to flag fraud (ie ignoring past complaints about fraudulent behavior combined with no negative buyer reviews) means they may be viewed as knowingly facilitating fraud. This may be a viable claim itself.

As for TOS you cannot contract yourself out of liability for breaking Federal law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Ebay's TOS makes your process irrelevant. Your only recourse is small claims lawsuit against the BUYER, not ebay.

Ebay wins all lawsuits. Many times they dont even show up for small claims and they still win summary judgements.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
thegoondocksmichigan

In future you may wish to check buyer's feedback (although not much you can do).

Some positive feedback left by other sellers in the first 2 pages:

Sellers Beware. Refused package, never received back, opened case/CC dispute.
Buyer cancels orders, beware!
Buyer backed out after winning then offered to complete transaction at almost $100 less. SCAM ARTIST
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting. This information at least gives others an opportunity to block these guys from bidding on thier stuff.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Man, I have some stuff I want to sell. Several of the raws aren't high enough price point to consign at MCS, the "we'll buy it outright" is 1/10th of what the books are actually selling for leaving places like ebay as my only option.

I can't sell on the forums because I don't trust having any ability to grade raws. I don't trust Craig's list...

I guess all of that helps fix any issues with taxes, but make selling some stuff I don't want to buy stuff I do more difficult.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 if you sell here and post plenty of pictures with what you think the grade is I think you'll be ok. It might be a little annoying or time consuming, but you can set your price and then let the buyer decide if the pictures prove it's worth it to them.

Also, I use the MCS sell outright quite a bit. It can be a net money loss, but, to me, the ease of just doing it and not having to deal with all of this going on in this thread, makes it worth it. At least until we get to a point where the comics might be going for double digits elsewhere and MCS is offering $2 or something.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Man, I have some stuff I want to sell. Several of the raws aren't high enough price point to consign at MCS, the "we'll buy it outright" is 1/10th of what the books are actually selling for leaving places like ebay as my only option.

I can't sell on the forums because I don't trust having any ability to grade raws. I don't trust Craig's list...

I guess all of that helps fix any issues with taxes, but make selling some stuff I don't want to buy stuff I do more difficult.
I think you would do just fine selling some raws here. Just show some good photos and where you feel the book grades out at.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ebay is putting themselves at risk of FTC violations when they cleanse or limit negative reviews in order to increase transaction volume.

The time will come when an enterprising lawyer sees the $ from bringing a class action lawsuit on behalf of buyers AND sellers.

As applied here, limiting the ability for others to flag fraud (ie ignoring past complaints about fraudulent behavior combined with no negative buyer reviews) means they may be viewed as knowingly facilitating fraud. This may be a viable claim itself.

As for TOS you cannot contract yourself out of liability for breaking Federal law.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, Ebay has had several class action lawsuits and they were ALL dismissed...

Here's a simple google search of "ebay class action lawsuits dismissed". They are an aggregated platform - not a seller. (think newspaper with classified adds in the back pages). The courts have been clear. Have a problem with a buyer, sue the buyer. Have a problem with ebay - dont use ebay.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+class+action+lawsuits+dismissed&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS926US926&oq=ebay+class+action+lawsuits+dismissed&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30.6720j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
thegoondocksmichigan

In future you may wish to check buyer's feedback (although not much you can do).

Buyer backed out after winning then offered to complete transaction at almost $100 less. SCAM ARTIST

If the BUYUER was smart, or cared, he could contact ebay and have those comments removed. They are in violation of their TOS for Feedback.

Here's a copy of the feedback policy

"Any misuse of feedback is not allowed. Feedback comments should match the positive or negative rating that was given in both buyer and seller feedback. For example, a negative comment should not be left with a positive rating."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-misuse-policy?id=5030
Post 48 IP   flag post
@multi007 Are you familiar with class action suits and large company litigation?

Companies of that size are sued all the time… and many cases are dismissed or settled. Unless you show me a case related to my point above it is irrelevant.

If you have a specific example, would love to see it.

In fact, the FTC is cracking down.

Here is something I pulled with 5 seconds of googling. This is actually very, very relevant:

https://www.dwt.com/insights/2022/01/ftc-deceptive-online-review-enforcement
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
@multi007 Are you familiar with class action suits and large company litigation?

Companies of that size are sued all the time… and many cases are dismissed or settled. Unless you show me a case related to my point above it is irrelevant.

If you have a specific example, would love to see it.

In fact, the FTC is cracking down.

Here is something I pulled with 5 seconds of googling. This is actually very, very relevant:

https://www.dwt.com/insights/2022/01/ftc-deceptive-online-review-enforcement

I have never sued a corporation, but I do read a lot about ebay lawsuits though.

This FTC ruling is interesting in that they may be told to no longer delete feedback comments or they must allow sellers to leave negative feedback like the buyers can...

If I am understanding correctly, the point you are making is that you could sue ebay as they are accepting the buyer's accusation of fraud ? If that is not your point, then I apologize.

As far as I can tell, I believe I am correct in that a seller will have no legal recourse against ebay as 1. their TOS prevails, 2. you would sue the buyer, not ebay.

Although I will admit that you presented a 3rd option, and that is if a government agency steps in to say what ebay is doing is illegal, ebay would then get creative and change the rules to accommodate the government agency.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@multi007 Let’s just say my points are:
A) as an individual, I’m cynical dealing with Ebay CS and would set low expectations
B) overall I think (my non-legal opinion) that Ebay could be subject to a class action suit based on their general and specific policies and practices.

The two points are only related to the extent someone wants to get something like that in motion. It is a lot of time and effort. My guess is that it will happen, eventually.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thegoondocksmichigan

If the seller was smart, or cared, he could contact ebay and have those comments removed. They are in violation of their TOS for Feedback.

"Any misuse of feedback is not allowed. Feedback comments should match the positive or negative rating that was given in both buyer and seller feedback. For example, a negative comment should not be left with a positive rating."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-misuse-policy?id=5030

think you mean buyer
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thegoondocksmichigan

If the seller was smart, or cared, he could contact ebay and have those comments removed. They are in violation of their TOS for Feedback.

think you mean buyer

yes correct - i have fixed the error
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
They are an aggregated platform - not a seller. (think newspaper with classified adds in the back pages).

I just can't see this comparison. Ebay explicitly stands between buyers and sellers until the transaction is complete. Any communication needs to go through them. Ebay has more in common with a consignment house or a broker than with classified ads.
I can tell you that in my one outreach to Ebay I personally facilitated a major change. Years ago sellers were selling insurance as a separate charge from the item and shipping. Most of the sellers were buying the insurance from USPS but some were pocketing the money and claiming that they had "self-insured". After I had a seller do this, I pointed out to Ebay that there was an awful lot of insurance brokering and underwriting occurring on their site and that most states requires licenses, regulations or bonds for such things. Shortly after, they changed the rules, appropriately, so that insurance was no longer being sold as something that could be purchased independent of the shipping. Maybe it was just coincidental timing, but the change happened within weeks of my written message...and it had gone on for years. So I don't believe they are not open to change when presented with a paper trail documenting that they may be facilitating illegal activities.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
They are an aggregated platform - not a seller. (think newspaper with classified adds in the back pages).

I just can't see this comparison. Ebay explicitly stands between buyers and sellers until the transaction is complete. Any communication needs to go through them. Ebay has more in common with a consignment house or a broker than with classified ads.
I can tell you that in my one outreach to Ebay I personally facilitated a major change. Years ago sellers were selling insurance as a separate charge from the item and shipping. Most of the sellers were buying the insurance from USPS but some were pocketing the money and claiming that they had "self-insured". After I had a seller do this, I pointed out to Ebay that there was an awful lot of insurance brokering and underwriting occurring on their site and that most states requires licenses, regulations or bonds for such things. Shortly after, they changed the rules, appropriately, so that insurance was no longer being sold as something that could be purchased independent of the shipping. Maybe it was just coincidental timing, but the change happened within weeks of my written message...and it had gone on for years. So I don't believe they are not open to change when presented with a paper trail documenting that they may be facilitating illegal activities.

Even though eBay is not the best selling platform (no contest there), I agree with @EbayMafia in that they are actively trying to improve aspects of the site. I, also, had an experience with them that may or may not have helped bring about a significant change. I had an international buyer who threatened to give negative feedback if I didn't commit customs fraud and under-report the value of an item so that the buyer would not have to pay duties. Fortunately, the knucklehead was too explicit in the message, and all I had to do was threaten to report the buyer and use the message as evidence, and that resolved the issue. I also had a potential buyer send some very disturbing/threatening messages regarding offers that I did not accept. I was unable to report that, either, because there was no way to report someone who hadn't actually bought/sold anything. Next time I received a survey from eBay, I told them about the incidents that I couldn't do anything about at the time because nothing had actually happened on-site. Threatening messages weren't something that I could report. Since then, eBay has added a means to report questionable activity, to include activity that did not result in a transaction. They have also added a way for sellers to dispute negative feedback. What I want now is to be able to leave negative feedback for crappy buyers. That would make my day.
Post 55 IP   flag post
619266 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?