Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCertified Comics For SaleComics Modern AgeFor Sale

Noobs are the experts on slabs and God forbid if yours isn't good enough17138

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It would seem that the newly designed sturdier slabs from the grading companies has unintended consequences.

Many noobs who have acquired books with the new slabs have now become plastic snobs who now feel compelled to force ebay returns on any book now matter how good that is encased in a slab that does not have the desires aesthetic.

After more than a year with no returns I have had my fifth return request since December by someone who isn't happy with their purchase.

Here is the book:

thegoondocksmichigan opened a return request for the following reason:

This item is fake, there is a crack in the case the top label is not covered or put on correctly, the edge splits alone would take this out of a 9.8 category. And there is shit all over the book, WTF! REFUND ASAP!

Keep in mind that I bought this book already graded from a reputable seller.

Since we are talking ebay I have no choice but to accept the return.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheRealMrFreeze private msg quote post Address this user
Arg that sucks. Someone gets buyers remorse, wants their money back and your eBay rating is held for ransom.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos @TheRealMrFreeze

Not just eBay rating- anything on eBay is guaranteed so it’s forced money back- they will take it if sided with buyer-

You should look into Mercari- they have 3 days the buyer reviews once they receive the item and then it’s all sales final!- much more seller friendly and it’s really growing in popularity-

Also this makes no sense as the number on the label would match their census and info on who signed- so yes most definitely just buyer’s remorse and no doubt the expenses like gas and groceries going up in price probably influenced this “return”-
Post 3 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
I have completely abandoned eBay as a selling marketplace. The fees and the hassle alone made it an easy decision.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

This item is fake, there is a crack in the case the top label is not covered or put on correctly, the edge splits alone would take this out of a 9.8 category. And there is shit all over the book, WTF! REFUND ASAP!

His response proves he has no idea what he's talking about, as that's how all the slabs from that time period are 🙄 What a dumbass.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Not to mention they think the condition of the case should affect the grade of the book
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I'd take that book. Those are great signatures.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
If he really didn't want the book, he could have been mature about it and ask if he could return it instead of act like a complete a**hole.

OCD Noobs are so reactionary and act like such babies. If it's not a 9.8... geez get a life. They take the fun out of the hobby.

The book looks fine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Ridiculous. His attitude sucks. I don’t see any cracks on the slab. He must be unaware it’s a 2nd gen CGC slab.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I was a powerseller on ebay for almost five years with massive positive feedback, and I quit selling altogether when they removed the ability for a seller to leave a negative for a buyer, as well as allowing a buyer to not only tee off on the entire purchase, but also with itemized seller ratings for communication, Shipping price etc.
Instead of making the playing surface more even, they created a market where buyers can cheat sellers constantly.....and the very entity that was responsible for protecting and issuing payments from my funds, was then made complicit in stealing those funds whenever ebay decreed so.

My final straw was when I sold a new, unused dash for a newer mustang for my brother.Buyer recieved the dash, installed it and then took his badly damaged and useless dash and photographed it and claimed that is what I sent him....ebay of course concluded it was deceptive selling practices on my part, issued a full refund and further allowed the guy to trash my seller rating. I ended my selling there the following week.
I use ebay to purchase things now and even then I often feel I am dealing with shill bidding and corrupt selling practices like sniping.
I far prefer a system like MCS uses where an item getting a bid in the final few minutes adds more time to the sale. this allows the item itself to determine its value rather than some bogus sniping program and a clock
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
I have completely abandoned eBay as a selling marketplace. The fees and the hassle alone made it an easy decision.

I used to think eBay was a neccessary evil....now, I just consider it evil. What a crock!
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Not to mention they think the condition of the case should affect the grade of the book

lol!!! I really had to think if that's really what this guy is saying...good greif!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos Care to DM me this doofus' ebay name?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't even understand his reasons (or maybe that's the whole point - is there is no valid reason)?
Are the edge splits a reference to the plastic or the comic?
What is the sh*t all over he's talking about? The signatures? or debris on the slab?

It's hard to tell but definitely interested as I have once gotten back "There's oil in the slab". We all know what that is, right Sir Isaac Newton?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
@drchaos Care to DM me this doofus' ebay name?
It's in the first post.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Huntergreene2

Its in the OP before the quote
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I don't even understand his reasons (or maybe that's the whole point - is there is no valid reason)?
The slab. The older ones can be pried open a bit on the sides. You used to be able to fix Newton rings by sliding a 3x5 card in the slit.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
What is the sh*t all over he's talking about? The signatures? or debris on the slab?

It's hard to tell but definitely interested as I have once gotten back "There's oil in the slab". We all know what that is, right Sir Isaac Newton?

They’re describing the characteristics of the pre-creep engine CGC slab and arguing that it means the slab is fake
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Got it... thx.
Needless to say I blocked him regardless of not owning those types of slabs.
I don't need that attitude nor his own idiocy involved in anything I sell
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector TheRealMrFreeze private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I'm just old skool but... I buy a book on ebay. I get it and find a tear in the top right. I check back on ebay at the photos and see I totally missed it. I kick myself for my oversight. I give positive feedback for the seller. I make a coffee and go on with my life.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Lately I've had a few potential buyers message me about books I have for sale. It's frequently to ask if there are ANY defects on the case AT ALL. I go to the trouble of inspecting the case, photographing anything (any. niggling. thing.) that I find, followed by absolutely nothing because the jerk can't even be bothered to say 'thanks, maybe next time' or something to that effect.

Have some of these clowns lost the memo regarding the books being what's for sale and the slab is just window dressing + assurance that condition is as described? I understand if there's really something wrong, but a teensy nick on a back corner should not render a book unsellable.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
The seller isn’t necessarily a “noob”. He’s got a couple CGC SS slabs himself listed for sale(UF #4, ASM #300, BRZRKR #1).
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
The seller isn’t necessarily a “noob”. He’s got a couple CGC SS slabs himself listed for sale(UF #4, ASM #300, BRZRKR #1).

Absolutely true. I've dealt with plenty of 'noobs' who were great. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat. The guy in question may or may not be a newbie, but he is definitely a douche.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
It would seem that the newly designed sturdier slabs from the grading companies has unintended consequences.

Many noobs who have acquired books with the new slabs have now become plastic snobs who now feel compelled to force ebay returns on any book now matter how good that is encased in a slab that does not have the desires aesthetic.

After more than a year with no returns I have had my fifth return request since December by someone who isn't happy with their purchase.

Here is the book:

Block that dumbass SOB thegoondocksmichigan. Put him on a blacklist.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I have blocked. @drchaos - Thanks for the public service announcement. Unfortunate that you (we) have to deal with this kind of activity.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Damn, I keep holding off on switching to Mercari because the audience is just nowhere near the size you get on eBay. But stories like this just edge me closer and closer.

**edit.. and I too have blocked this douchecanoe
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I was about to put a bunch of Raws on eBay.

I used to sell all the time on eBay (well, all the time for an amateur "I need money" type seller, and this was years ago mid 90's, 1996 or 1997-2005 if I remember correctly) ... but I always tried to be the best seller I could.

I had a few people that returned things and if I remember correctly I believe they were all due to my mistakes. I remember there was a Silmarillion "1st Edition Editors Proof" copy that was actually just a normal First Edition, and an open package that I thought was unopened because it was double-sealed ... that sort of thing. In all those cases I just accepted the return and etc. and left them positive feedback, sorted it all out ... it was almost like it was a much nicer more pleasant community back then. Even though it was much weirder.

I got ripped off once or twice and I left the buyer VERY Negative feedback, which you could do at that time, but never unfairly so, they always deserved it.

eBay was much less "retail" feeling ... it was all just mostly normal people making auctions and not superstores and warehouse buyers ... you could even buy guns and some very weird shit back then. I'm sure you still can, but eBay now feels much more like a place where China dumps it's crap , like "Wish" or something ...

It used to be comics, books and Antiques were where I hung out every day and now I hardly go there unless it's to see a comic listing from MCS.

Oh well. Good old days I guess. I wanted to sell some RAWs on eBay and now y'all got me scared. I need the money but I don't need the hassle.

Maybe I will try this Mercari that was mentioned if that's the best alternative or maybe MCS. None of my RAW's are graded, though.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrFreeze
Arg that sucks. Someone gets buyers remorse, wants their money back and your eBay rating is held for ransom.

Not necessarily true.

You can dispute a return and win, if you CALL eBay....you'll lose a dispute 99% of the time if you don't make a phone call.
Post 28 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrFreeze

Not necessarily true.

You can dispute a return and win, if you CALL eBay....you'll lose a dispute 99% of the time if you don't make a phone call.

If you have "Returns Accepted" you can't dispute it at all. They can return it for any reason and ebay will always side with the buyer.

If you have "Returns Not Accepted" you can dispute it and if there isn't a valid reason for them wanting to return it eBay may decide in the sellers favor.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Over time, as word spreads, loopholes turn into magnets. For years Costco had an unlimited return policy. Over time it attracted more and more people who wanted to be able to upgrade their computer or TV every couple of years by returning the old one. Ebay has reached this point, where the return policy loopholes have changed the overall demographic of buyers. Attracting an ever increasing number of buyers who are there because of the loopholes.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?