Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Modern Age of Comics 2009 - Present17101

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Like the GA thread. Lets document in one thread our MA collections.

Use this thread to post your newest MA acquisitions, or something already in your collection.
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Modern Age 2009 - Present

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The IDW TF run is about the only time I went full completist mode.

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Modern Age 2009 - Present

I think it’s interesting that you’re focusing on Modern books 2009 an newer. The Modern age is sometimes seen as a bit of a monolith, especially now that it encompasses like 1/3 of comics history since 1939, assuming it started in the early 90s, though I see your other thread saying Copper went up through 2008.

I do think there are a few logical places where Modern can be broken up into new Ages.

One is in the early 00s with the rise of new, creator-owned books like The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Powers. The second coming of Image, as it were, as well as other smaller publishers like Boom, Dynamite, and IDW. Around this time you also get a move from the big two to yearly events and regular reboots of their universes.

And then, Starting around 2008 but achieving major prominence in 2012, you have the rise of comic book film and media driving the comics. Starting with The Dark Knight and Iron man but really hitting high gear with the Avengers and Arrow in 2012. You also have the push for more diversity and inclusivity with characters like Kamala Khan, and Carol Danvers assuming the role of Captain Marvel, and more variety in sexual orientation from old and new characters alike.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite GA, SA and BA is pretty well defined in its era's. Copper Age and Modern Age were a little trickier for me. I found the defined Copper Age era online that ended that era in 2008 so I just started the Modern Age a year later. I wanted all era's represented. The thing is the Modern age era keeps getting bigger and bigger while previous era's stay the same. I'm not sure if there will be another anointed era after the Modern age but there should be.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
This is probably more Copper than Modern, but its a recent acquisition. This was a big book back in the day due to it's scarcity, pre-internet, but not as much now.

Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

Moderns.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I don't collect moderns generally, I've bought a small amount and a few I was given, the slabs and the signed walking dead I was given for free.

Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
ERROR VARIANT

Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Ramage23 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 24 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@dielinfinite GA, SA and BA is pretty well defined in its era's. Copper Age and Modern Age were a little trickier for me. I found the defined Copper Age era online that ended that era in 2008 so I just started the Modern Age a year later. I wanted all era's represented. The thing is the Modern age era keeps getting bigger and bigger while previous era's stay the same. I'm not sure if there will be another anointed era after the Modern age but there should be.

There should be some break and a new age called paper or scissors or rock (you get the idea). It shouldn't be that hard for someone like Overstreet that has the chops to assign a name and a year range.
Post 25 IP   flag post
How about copper age from 1985 to 2009

Then Digital age from 2010 where main stream comics become available digitally till say 2020...

So 2021- is modern age?

What you all think?
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don’t really think Copper needs to be extended since I feel comics in the 90s have some unique distinctions from comics of the late 80s.

Modern, I think, can remain the name of the 90s comics. I know the term was originally used for it’s definition of being contemporary. At this point I think it’s probably taken on its own set of connotations and can be used as it’s own term, the same way Modern art is used.

I’m not sure about names but I gave my thoughts on divisions above: 2003-2008, and 2008-present
Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post

Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
601453 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?