Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Copper Age of Comics 1985 - 200817100

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have any insight as to why some of the X-Force DE's had two different UPC box logos? A mix of these arrived in the same order when these were brand new.

Post 201 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy - According to the CGC label, X-Force #1 direct edition copies exist with either a “positive” or “negative” UPC. There’s no explanation why, and I don’t see any price difference in the two versions.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
in case there's a niche someday for verifiable marketing[?] errors,

There's definitely a market for books with verifiable manufacturing/printing errors. Depending on the nature of the error, there can be quite a price bump. For example, books with double/triple/multiple covers will sell for more than their regular single-cover counterparts. There are plenty of other kinds of errors, too.

This Detective 1000 has a bunch of upside-down pages.

This Excalibur has a distorted 'blue hologram' error.

Classic colouring error.

This recalled book has pages of Dr. Aphra #25 bound into it.

Here's a gold chromium error - it's supposed to be silver.

Same book with a partial chromium error. You can see the first page through the cover where the chromium was not applied.

I have a fondness for error books, as you can see.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Please forgive my non-Copper Aged comics above. I was trying to make a point and didn't see a need for another thread just to do it.

Now that I'm thinking of it, a thread for error books might be kinda cool!
Post 204 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
in case there's a niche someday for verifiable marketing[?] errors,

There's definitely a market for books with verifiable manufacturing/printing errors.

Yes, but this would be more "Marketing" since it was supposed to be distributed with the card in the bag. I assume they're placed on the book or in the bag by machine before they're sealed.

The likelihood of there being a serious niche for this has to be small since it's probably easy for someone with the right machine to reseal these poly bags without detection. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but, really, the main reason the likelihood is small is because it's an X-Force #1 without a card in the bag.
I just left it alone because I had 19 others, and figured wth?.
Post 205 IP   flag post

Quote:
The likelihood of there being a serious niche for this has to be small since it's probably easy for someone with the right machine to reseal these poly bags without detection. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but, really, the main reason the likelihood is small is because it's an X-Force #1 without a card in the bag.
I just left it alone because I had 19 others, and figured wth?.

Since it was clearly with a stack of other copies it's entirely possible it's an error, but is there a market for it? If you tried to sell it, the response would likely be exactly what you're describing. People would take a look, assume it had the Deadpool card in it and that someone opened it, took the card, and heat-sealed it again.

To be honest, though, for $h*ts & giggles I'd probably keep the card-less X-Force #1, too.
Post 206 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Emerald Twilight. After Mongul destroys Coast City during the Reign of the Supermen storyline, Hal Jordan kinda loses it. He resurrects Coast City and its people with his ring until it runs out of juice. He is summoned back to Oa, where he kills off a good amount of the GL Corps and adopts the Parallax moniker. Good for him. Gotta have goals.

Post 207 IP   flag post
Some Rocketeer love.

Post 208 IP   flag post
Nothing wrong with the Rocketeer!!

Post 209 IP   flag post
Shame on me for not posting the back cover to Rocketeer #1.

Post 210 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 211 IP   flag post
West Coast Avengers: Lost in Space-Time. The WCA get sucked back in time. It gets kind of dark while also having a lighter feel to it. Mockingbird gets put through the wringer, and Hank Pym almost offs himself amongst other things.

Post 212 IP   flag post
Cyclops: Retribution, Marvel Comics Presents #17-24. Cyclops travels to Muir Island and discovers that Moira MacTaggart has been unknowingly creating weapons for Mastermold. Cyclops teams with Banshee, who uses his powers for the first time since sustaining injuries way back in UXM 119. Banshee ends up getting sick from a virus, forcing Cyclops to turn to a part of MM, named Conscience, in order to save the day. Ron Lim has some great artwork in this story.

Wolverine & Spider-Man: Life's End, Marvel Comics Presents #48-50. Spider-Man starts fighing Wolverine thinking that Wolverine is dead (see: Fall of the Mutants). After the obligatory misunderstanding, Wolverine is observing a kidnapping. It's a fun story with art by Erik Larsen. Some lame-asses get beat up, and the girl is reunited with her father. Fun bit of trivia is that the father is modeled on C.C. Beck who passed away not long before the issue came out and this was a subtle tribute. Beck had worked on Captain Marvel at Fawcett.

Post 213 IP   flag post
Moebius' Airtight Garage #1 CBCS 9.6

Moebius' Airtight Garage #2 CBCS 9.8

Moebius' Airtight Garage #3 CBCS 9.6

Moebius' Airtight Garage #4 CBCS 9.0

Post 214 IP   flag post
A vault of Copper Walt sigs (+ Art Adams on FF #347 and Bob Wiacek on Thor #348).
The last one isn't copper, but I had to add it.

Post 215 IP   flag post
Blood Stone Hunt, Captain America #357-362. Cap does his best Indiana Jones impression when Zemo and Batroc's Brigade sneak off with Ulysses Bloodstone's skeleton using it to figure out how to find the Blood Stone shards to reassemble it and make the owner an all-powerful being. So Cap teams with Diamondback who is a villain but Cap gives her the tinglies in her tummy so she helps him. Zemo, like a dumbass, tries to resurrect his father with the Blood Stone but calls forth Cthulu or some other interdimensional deity that the hero and villains have to work together to stop.

Post 216 IP   flag post
Wolverine: Save the Tiger, Marvel Comics Presents #1-10. Wolverine happens upon a man named Chapel in the desert who succumbs to wounds and exposure. This leads Wolverine off to Madripoor where he ends up at the Princess Bar. This essentially sets Madripoor as a common location for Wolverine as well as where he gets his Patch identity when a criminal puts his cigarette out in his eye. It turns out that the "Tiger" is an upstart crime boss who Mr. Roche feels is a threat. A lady banker is revealed as the "Tyger" and this is an elaborate revenge tale. Wolverine helps out Tyger Tiger and this eventually leads into the Wolverine solo series that starts a few months later. It does seem at some point that MCP was also a vehicle for Wolverine solo stories. That's what happens when a character gets super popular.

Post 217 IP   flag post

Post 218 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 219 IP   flag post
Collector Emp162 private msg quote post Address this user

Some new slabs, still waiting for about 30 more.
Post 220 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Love this cover, and love the fact the story is totally different from what the cover offers.

Post 221 IP   flag post
Legion Quest. Following the Phalanx Covenant, this was the next little crossover that set up several months of what turns out to be a solid creative (and financial) run for the X-titles as they shift into the Age of Apocalypse. While this is technically a four issue crossover, there are interludes set up in some issues before the meat. Let's begin.

The setup. During some segments in the following issues we see a comatose Legion having a dream about Destiny (whom he killed). He then awakens from his coma with no signs of his previously multiple personalities. Mystique tries to kill him as payback for Destiny's death. He has a chat via mind link with his pops where he tells him the world would be better off without Magneto.

Main Story. The X-Men travel to Israel to confront Legion. He time warps dragging some X-Men with him. He intends to change history. In the past, Charlie and Magneto are friends and they save the life of Legion who shows Magneto the monster he becomes in the future. The Shi'ar show up in the present because they sense all existence is about to cease. The Shi'ar send some more X-Men back in time to help resolve this. Magneto and Legion duke it out in the past so fiercely that it catches the attention of Apocalypse. Charlie jumps in the way of Legion's death blow and dies. Time paradox erupts as Legion and the X-Men are now sucked out of the time stream and reality shatters.

Some tie-in issues that essentially "freeze" this reality with cliffhangers so that we can come back to it after the AOA ends months down the line.

Post 222 IP   flag post

Got a couple 9.8's and a 9.6 in spiderman 13
Post 223 IP   flag post

6 more slabs back
Post 224 IP   flag post
Punisher Invades the 'Nam. Marvel uses their resident Vietnam veteran as a character to gingerly come closer to the mainstream Marvel continuity by having Frank show up in the pages of 'Nam. Not once, but twice, and a third time in a post-cancelled story.

#52-53. Frank is assigned to neutralize an enemy sniper named the Monkey. Frank and the Monkey track each other through the jungle and try to catch the other off guard.

#67-69. A wounded soldier is comforted by another soldier who tells a story of Frank weeding out corruption amongst the US ranks when soldiers would pay to be sent home but are sent to their deaths after paying. Super ironic.

Final Invasion. After changing his last name to Castle, Frank teams with a South Vietnamese soldier and they go HAM on some VC. Frank ends up in a prison camp with an evil doctor who likes to experiment on people. This was supposed to be in 'Nam, but the series was cancelled at #84.

It's enjoyable enough, but probably could have been served better as a Punisher mini series and attempt to retain some of 'Nam's realism.

Bonus book. A crossover of epic proportions. It's basically a case of mistaken identity, and this comic kicks way more ass than it has any business doing.

Post 225 IP   flag post
Captain America: Streets of Poison. Cap has a heated exchange with an associate of his named Fabian. He notices that Fabian has been behaving erratically and lost a good amount of weight in a short period of time. He learns that a new drug called ice is on the streets. Cap realizes he has neglected the street level issues for quite some time. He also has several ponderings over what makes Captain America. He realizes his use of s̶t̶e̶r̶o̶i̶d̶s̶ super soldier serum is what gave him the gains he has. During a confrontation with a dealer, Cap is exposed to ice and it causes him to be more aggressive. Add in the Red Skull & Crossbones going after Kingpin & Bullseye, and you get a ticking timebomb of action.

Post 226 IP   flag post
Marvel Comics Presents #31-38, Excalibur Having a Wild Weekend. Holy crap. During a quiet evening, Kitty's computer beginning acting up and several familiar looking cartoon characters emerge. These are the Loonies with the likes of Guns Gunny. There are tons of pop culture references throughout the storyline from the Looney Tunes to the Beverly Hillbillies to the Wizard of Oz. It's offbeat and fun but also could be seen as the turning point for Excalibur when the team was thrust into more nonsensical stories for a time. Erik Larsen and Terry Austin's art pops and it is definitely in my wheelhouse for this era of Marvel.

Post 227 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 228 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 229 IP   flag post

Post 230 IP   flag post
615415 236 30