Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Copper Age of Comics 1985 - 200817100

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be sitting pretty when the Nomad movie comes out. Or Renegade gets rebooted. One of the two.

Post 176 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'm hoping for nomad movie, but I thought Steve Rogers was nomad? And the costumes look different?
Post 177 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I'm hoping for nomad movie, but I thought Steve Rogers was nomad? And the costumes look different?

The original Nomad was Steve Rogers. The name has been used by several people, including Jack Monroe and Bucky Barnes.
Post 178 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Thank you. That explains a lot. I really need to start reading comics....
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector Emp162 private msg quote post Address this user

Finally got some new books back from CGC
Post 180 IP   flag post

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Emp162
Nice! Love the Voltron.
Post 181 IP   flag post
Thank you, I still have 1 more Voltron to send. Also waiting for another 19 to come back, 13 of which are Mcfarlane signings. Slowly getting stuff graded, what a chore.
Post 182 IP   flag post
Let's dip into the toybox, shall we? It is Christmas time after all.

GI Joe: The Battle of Springfield. It's kind of layered in as a subplot until it really kicks off with the Joes's mobilization over issues 49-50, but the subplot sets it off in #45 as Ripcord is trying to clear the name of a former lady friend by taking a solo trip to Cobra Island. The Joes finally learn that Springfield is essentially a company town for Cobra, and engage en masse against it. Other things to unpack are the first appearances of Serpentor and Sgt Slaughter, along with Snake Eyes and Stormshadow teaming up to try and kill Zartan for killing their master back in the day.

Gulag Saga. Stalker, Snow Job, Outback and Quick Kick are sent on an off-the-books mission to recuse a journalist from a Communist prison in Europe. Things go awry and the team is captured by the Reds. Outback escapes to try and get help, and General Hawk informs the Joes that no rescue operation will be attempted due to strained international relations. Scarlett and Snake Eyes fake their deaths to go rescue their buddies. Yeah, some goofy stuff happens with a circus and Flint & Lady Jaye finally become an official couple.

Outback's escape tale.

Todd McFarlane's original artwork for #61 which was scrapped before publication and Marshall Rogers' art was used.

Post 183 IP   flag post
One last dip into the toybox before I go do Christmas stuff with the family.

The New Order. Transformers #5-12. Shockwave arrives and whoops ass. Literally. He damn near kills or captures all of the early Autobot toys and destroys Optimus Prime's body, only keeping the head intact. He overthrows Megatron for control of the Decepticons. Shockwave steals the Creation Matrix to bring the toys of the Constructicons and Jetfire to life. During this run, we also get the Dinobots making their first comic appearance. Eventually Prime pulls himself back together and throws Shockwave into a bog where he sinks. Side note, the comic and TV versions of Shockwave are in stark contrast to one another. The cartoon version is the original version of him being the guardian of Cybertron in Megatron's absence, but the show was already in production when the character profile was changed allowing the comic writers to use the cold, logical Shockwave instead.

Return to Cybertron. The Autobot Scrounge attempts to smuggle a coded message out of Darkmount but is apprehended by Straxus and his cronies and sentenced to the smelting pool. Blaster tries to rescue him but is passed along the message as the pool has eaten away most of Scrounge's body. The coded message is that the Autobots are alive on Earth. Blaster and some other toys fight the bad toys on Space Bridge which is detonated when Straxus ruptures a fuel line.

Matrix Quest. After Primus is awoken, his scream alerts Unicron and a bunch of Autobots scramble to locate the lost Matrix. The story is more lighthearted and pays homage to various films or genres such as westerns, the Maltese Falcon and Jaws.

Post 184 IP   flag post
How about some DC?

Batman: Year One. In the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC reworked some origins and updated the characters. Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli give Bruce the ol' grim n' gritty 1980s treatment. Classic storyline and highly recommended.

10 Nights of the Beast. A ruthless cell of KGB operatives sends the KGBeast to Gotham (of course) where he has to eliminate nine members crucial to the US Star Wars program. The Gotham PD, FBI, CIA, regular KGB, and Batman work together to stop the Beast. The Beast works over his list + collaterals. Batman is able to confront the Beast in the sewers where he is challenged to a final battle depsite only meeting a few issues prior. The KGBeast later starred as the Machine in 8MM after the collapse of the USSR.

Death in the Family. Not much to say about this that hasn't been said already. Jason Todd got what was coming to him. Kudos, Joker. Kudos.

Post 185 IP   flag post
Spider-Man: Assassin Nation Plot. Spider-Man stumbles upon the mercenary Paladin robbing a warehouse while testing a new batch of webbing. Using his wife Mary Jane's high society connections, Spider-Man trails Paladin to a reception at the Waldorf-Astoria. Spider-Man's interference causes Paladin to lose his lead on a plot by the Life Foundation, which threatens peace in his boss Silver Sable's home country Symkaria and the rest of the world. Captain America joins the fray, and it appears the Red Skull is behind it all.

Post 186 IP   flag post
Avengers: Under Siege. Baron Zemo recruits a new lineup for his Masters of Evil with the simple task to defeat the Avengers. Holy shit. How well done was this? The MOE infiltrate the Avengers mansion and start whooping the crap out of the heroes one at a time. Jarvis is captured, Black Knight and Captain Marvel are subdued, and Hercules is beaten within an inch of his life. Wasp and Antman start to mount the comeback but it's looking grim for the heroes. As per the norm, they win but after the battle, Cap really struggles with his emotions after watching Zemo destroy his footlocker of memories. #270 has a small subplot where Moonstone is recruited into the MOE, but the meat is from 273-277.

Post 187 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley avengers 277 was the second comic I ever bought on the way to school. And this great story was what got me into reading comics till this day.
Post 188 IP   flag post

Just got back today, happy camper.
Post 189 IP   flag post
@Emp162
WOW, those are really nice! I hope mine turn out that well.
Post 190 IP   flag post
Thank you. Good luck, I hope you do get good grades and hopefully you get a card too, sadly I didn't. Hopefully the other 6 I'm waiting on have one.
Post 191 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 192 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 193 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm old...see the bronze age thread where I did the same thing. I need my eyes checked as well.
Post 194 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Posts #192 & 194, same book or a double (dip)?

Post 195 IP   flag post
@esaravo OMG!!! I did it here too!!??

I did this in the Bronze thread too!!

I swear I had no recollection of of posting these books. Getting old really sucks!!

Sorry guys!!!🍻🍻
Post 196 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Don’t sweat it, Angelo. That’s why I don’t post much on those three threads (SA, BA, CA). I probably would post books I already posted a few days earlier.
Post 197 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@GAC - Don’t sweat it, Angelo. That’s why I don’t post much on those three threads (SA, BA, CA). I probably would post books I already posted a few days earlier.

Just blame it on the forum gremlins.
Post 198 IP   flag post
Dark Knight Over Metropolis. Superman and Batman team up after a Lexcorp employee is brutally murdered and her kryptonite ring ends up in Gotham. Turns out the employee figured out that Clark Kent is Superman but was killed by muggers. After an attack by Intergang, Supes tells Bats to hold onto the ring of power in case he becomes uncontrollable.

JLA: Tower of Babel. Ra's al Ghul steals Batman's files which he made in case he needed to defeat the other members because Batman is mentally unstable. He uses this information to incapacitate the JLA while enacting his own plan of population control. The good guys recover and ruin his day while also having an icy relationship with Batman moving forward.

Post 199 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Back when I didn't know any better, I ordered 20 copies of X-Force #1. I've since then unbagged 19 of them, leaving this one alone because it didn't have a card. I suppose it would be easy enough for someone to remove a card and reseal the bag, but just in case there's a niche someday for verifiable marketing[?] errors, I may as well keep it as is.

Post 200 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have any insight as to why some of the X-Force DE's had two different UPC box logos? A mix of these arrived in the same order when these were brand new.

Post 201 IP   flag post
@Siggy - According to the CGC label, X-Force #1 direct edition copies exist with either a “positive” or “negative” UPC. There’s no explanation why, and I don’t see any price difference in the two versions.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
in case there's a niche someday for verifiable marketing[?] errors,

There's definitely a market for books with verifiable manufacturing/printing errors. Depending on the nature of the error, there can be quite a price bump. For example, books with double/triple/multiple covers will sell for more than their regular single-cover counterparts. There are plenty of other kinds of errors, too.

This Detective 1000 has a bunch of upside-down pages.

This Excalibur has a distorted 'blue hologram' error.

Classic colouring error.

This recalled book has pages of Dr. Aphra #25 bound into it.

Here's a gold chromium error - it's supposed to be silver.

Same book with a partial chromium error. You can see the first page through the cover where the chromium was not applied.

I have a fondness for error books, as you can see.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Please forgive my non-Copper Aged comics above. I was trying to make a point and didn't see a need for another thread just to do it.

Now that I'm thinking of it, a thread for error books might be kinda cool!
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
in case there's a niche someday for verifiable marketing[?] errors,

There's definitely a market for books with verifiable manufacturing/printing errors.

Yes, but this would be more "Marketing" since it was supposed to be distributed with the card in the bag. I assume they're placed on the book or in the bag by machine before they're sealed.

The likelihood of there being a serious niche for this has to be small since it's probably easy for someone with the right machine to reseal these poly bags without detection. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but, really, the main reason the likelihood is small is because it's an X-Force #1 without a card in the bag.
I just left it alone because I had 19 others, and figured wth?.
Post 205 IP   flag post
618083 236 30