Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Grading Special Labels17090

Collector Nick private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all I was wondering when buying a comic that's is already graded has anyone ever been swayed because it has a character label? I've never paid for one when sending a comic for grading as one CBCS don't do them at the moment as far as I'm aware (haven't sent away a comic for grading for a while) and two I only send comics to CGC when I intend to sell them on as CGC graded comics seem to sell more easily in my experience.

I only have one comic that would class as having a special label and that is my ASM #1 (3rd series) that says "day of first release". I don't know if these are more sought after not that I would sell it either way as I rarely sell comics. Anyway I'd like to hear your opinions on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like how the graphics replace the notation of what makes the issue noteworthy (when the book is noteworthy).
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I would never purchase solely on character labels for myself.

I would; however, absolutely purchase if I felt I could flip for profit to the clientele that has that adoration for vanity labels.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I have paid up for character labels back when I used CGC, strictly for resale. It paid off well. For personal collection I prefer CBCS simplicity, but Iā€™m not dogmatic about it.
If CBCS offered character labels I would use them without hesitation for books to sell.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few character labels for stuff I paid for and sent to CGC. But it doesn't/wouldn't sway me on a sale.

I don't think that's universally the case though, it feels like some stuff sells for more with the custom labels.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I would have to say it doesn't sway me as I have none in my collection - that said - they exist so obviously some people would be!
I just go for best grade at the cheapest price I can afford....someday a character label might sneak in but that won't be any sort of factor on if I bid for a book
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Character labels do nothing for me and does not sway me at all to purchase. I think it's cool it exists as an option for people who like them. I have no character labels in my own collection and would never pay more for one. Its window dressing, that to me, adds no value.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I would not pay more for a comic wit a character label, and would be apt to pay less as i do not like them. But, I would agree that there are those who will pay more for them to the point that with a little patience one might observe a higher sales price. Enough to cover the extra cost? There it gets very iffy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
I do not care for character labels. I want the details on the comic if I buy or have it slabbed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
I own two. One Walking Dead label that was only available at cons and a UF4 with Spidey. If I want a book and it has a character label so be it. But Iā€™m not paying a premium for them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
From my personal observations and sales, vanity labels have a niche target audience for those that often use words/phrases like: "sick cover", "Bro", "Beast", address me as "hey dude", "Dope", etc....

I dont know who these people are but I'm not a dude; and every sale I make of vanity labels addresses me as such.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 lol!!! šŸ»
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Pretty interesting observations. I personally have no need for special labels.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I own one on a comic that I won in an auction. I did not bid any more or less for that book just because of the label. I bought the book, not the label.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few books with custom labels, and I did not purchase them due to the presence of the label. I have chosen to slab some books and paid for custom labels, but that was because I thought the label matched the book or was somehow aesthetically pleasing. For example, the current Silver Surfer custom label is derived from the cover of FF #72, so I had my copies (I had 2) of FF #72 slabbed with those custom labels.
Post 15 IP   flag post
It's good to have options available for collectors who like them. That's the beauty of having options....they're optional. lol!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I have a few books with custom labels, and I did not purchase them due to the presence of the label. I have chosen to slab some books and paid for custom labels, but that was because I thought the label matched the book or was somehow aesthetically pleasing. For example, the current Silver Surfer custom label is derived from the cover of FF #72, so I had my copies (I had 2) of FF #72 slabbed with those custom labels.

nice!!!
While I wouldn't pay more for one over the other for a book like this where the special label is super appropriate if I had 2 to choose from I might go for the special label in this 1 instance
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I would not pay extra for them.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek
I would not pay extra for them.

Neither would I.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammykablam
I don't like how the graphics replace the notation of what makes the issue noteworthy (when the book is noteworthy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawummel
I do not care for character labels. I want the details on the comic if I buy or have it slabbed.

Pretty sure the just put that info on the back instead. Friggin label donkeys šŸ™„
Post 20 IP   flag post
601232 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?