Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Modern Age

Well it was bound to happen to me eventually1707

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So far my dealings on ebay have been pretty good but I've read plenty of frustrations some of my fellow board members and I figured it was just a matter of time before I had a similar story. It's still relatively mild since I'm not dealing with high value books but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Yesterday I won a 9.4 Harley Quinn Dell'Otto Pink variant with a yellow label and 3 signatures. I'd mentioned before how the price on the book was dropping and I won it for about $100 shipped, which I was happy with. As I was going to pay for it I noticed that ebay bucks would be available soon so I asked the guy if he'd be willing to wait a little bit for payment, a courtesy that I have extended and has been extended to me as both buyer and seller and have had no problems with thus far.

Apparently the guy disagreed because not only did he refuse (no problem, I could've paid for the book anyways), but he immediately cancelled the transaction and let me know he'd be relisting the book.

I also think he might have felt that hthe book didn't sell for enough. He has an identical item up (same grade and sigs, different serial #) for $285 + S&H BIN OBO, so it probably didn't sit well that I'd won it for a third of that. He even has a few raw copies for sale, all for more than I won the book for. He also said he'll be relisting it at a few dollars less than my winning bid and encouraging me to try and win it again (fat chance)

To top it off, the reason he gave for cancelling was that it was "The buyer asked to cancel the order, or there's an issue with the buyer's address" which of course isn't true and doesn't count against his seller rating.

Anyways, that's just me venting my frustrations.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SD2416 private msg quote post Address this user
Contact eBay
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. That is extremely frustrating. Overall my Ebay experience has been great, but I've had a few transactions that were just such a mess.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I had a guy cancel an item after I won it as well. Don't even remember why but it was not my choice. Nevertheless, he too blamed ME for it. (that b.s. about an address sounds familiar.) Which was absolutely untrue! LMAO. These guys kill me getting mad AFTER the sale, and then cancelling because their feelings are hurt. If they have the balls to cancel the sale, why don't they have the balls to admit THEY are the party who wanted to cancel it? Anywho -- welcome to the club.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I too had won an auction, and in the last five minutes I rcvd a message that I wasn't able to bid...,yet I was winning the auction?

The seller said there was a malfunction of sorts and apologized.

It was delisted for what I had a Mac bid for.

I buy and sell and ebay, and there are people out there who just can't stand selling something at a great deal.

Cheers to all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Open a case against the seller on eBay. Trust me - eBay does read email exchanges when they assess cases
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys! I did contact ebay, they're not going to compell him to sell the item but he was reported for a violation.

I'm not gonna fume and holler to get the book from this guy but it is frustrating as a lot of you have experienced. Hopefully I'll be able to find the book elsewhere but I'm not in a big hurry so I can wait.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
That guy probably did you a favor.
You might be able to pick that book up for half that price in a few months.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
Last month my daughter won a Katy Keene #1 CGC 6.0 for $587. The seller had been offering it as a "Buy It Now" for $1100 for several months with no luck. She paid immediately by Paypal. He cancelled the buy 15 minutes later. No communication, no reason given. (He didn't get his price).
It's a pretty rotten tactic. Set a reserve or a higher opening bid next time. She called Ebay, they couldn't do much unless he lists it again. She left him a nuetral feedback.
Happened to me last year on a CGC Woody Woodpecker #191. That is said to be the rarest Whitman prepack issues of late 1980. The dealer had it up as a "Buy It Now" for months, again with no luck. Listed it in an auction and I won it at a great price. I paid at once. He canceled the sale 20 minutes later and claimed he couldn't locate the comic. He listed it a couple of months later (identical CGC serial number). I gave him a bland positive (so he couldn't appeal it), but I trashed his Ebay star ratings. It took him months to recover.
All in all it's pretty low to list something and then renege when it doesn't go your way. I've had to take some lumps once in a while with sales. That's the game.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I'll give ebay kudos for what happened to me earlier this year. I won a raw Detective #400 at open auction advertised with no restoration etc. etc. etc. Got the book and it has amateur color touch on virtually ever paper break on the spine and edges with obvious bleed through to the inside of the cover. I informed the seller of my findings which they were not happy about but agreed to refund if I sent the book back. I sent the book back and a refund was initiated in my PayPal account but was then cancelled after 2 days. I thought WTF and checked back into the ebay sale to find the seller had closed their account (imagine that). I immediately contact ebay about what has happened and they spent about an hour checking into my claim. They agreed with me something shady had happened and the seller had bailed on the transaction and refund. According to ebay, it also helped that I had signature confirmation that the seller had received the item back. Ebay sent a refund to my PayPal account that same day. Whew, a close one but ebay made it right.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
So far my dealings on ebay have been pretty good but I've read plenty of frustrations some of my fellow board members and I figured it was just a matter of time before I had a similar story. It's still relatively mild since I'm not dealing with high value books but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Yesterday I won a 9.4 Harley Quinn Dell'Otto Pink variant with a yellow label and 3 signatures. I'd mentioned before how the price on the book was dropping and I won it for about $100 shipped, which I was happy with. As I was going to pay for it I noticed that ebay bucks would be available soon so I asked the guy if he'd be willing to wait a little bit for payment, a courtesy that I have extended and has been extended to me as both buyer and seller and have had no problems with thus far.

Apparently the guy disagreed because not only did he refuse (no problem, I could've paid for the book anyways), but he immediately cancelled the transaction and let me know he'd be relisting the book.

I also think he might have felt that hthe book didn't sell for enough. He has an identical item up (same grade and sigs, different serial #) for $285 + S&H BIN OBO, so it probably didn't sit well that I'd won it for a third of that. He even has a few raw copies for sale, all for more than I won the book for. He also said he'll be relisting it at a few dollars less than my winning bid and encouraging me to try and win it again (fat chance)

To top it off, the reason he gave for cancelling was that it was "The buyer asked to cancel the order, or there's an issue with the buyer's address" which of course isn't true and doesn't count against his seller rating.

Anyways, that's just me venting my frustrations.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Same thing happened to me. I won a book at a super low price and the guy canceled giving some fake excuse. If you want a certain price, then put a reserve on it. I contacted ebay and he was forced to either sell me the book, or have his account suspended. I got the book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All of my 9.9 and 9.8 Michael Turner sketch covers went for $40. Free Shipping. I took a risk. STILL sold them and shipped them. This year I literally gave away a lot of CBCS books that barely went for $20. These books all cost me at least double that in grading fees and shipping.

I still sold them. I didn't cancel them. It's the risk you take at 99 cent no reserve auction. I am not going to risk my reputation as a seller and start cancelling items just because I didn't' like the sale price. I also don't cheap out on shipping either.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
But for the record, yeah CBCS books barely go for pennies on ebay. They are worth significantly less than CGC books.

I've learned my lesson. Now I know better.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
It's a risk you take putting by stuff up at open auction. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. I've had stuff up at a "buy it now or best offer" and never got a bite, then put it up at open auction at a $0.99 start price and have it sell for more than my original "buy it now" price. Go figure. Just to be fair, I've been burnt doing this do, but sometimes you get surprised.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Kaptainmyke is now my favorite seller.

:o)
Post 15 IP   flag post
Sure it's stinks and I hated it and left a bad taste in my mouth but as a seller on eBay you have a contract and a duty to fufill to your buyer.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Sure it's stinks and I hated it and left a bad taste in my mouth but as a seller on eBay you have a contract and a duty to fufill to your buyer.

I agree. You treat a customer good...statistics show that they will return.

$.99 auctions, huh?

*smiles*
Post 17 IP   flag post
600848 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?