Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Want to Buy

Drawing Pad Recommendations for a novice artist17038

Collector pikaqiu private msg quote post Address this user
I am an untrained artist drawing my first comic and I am realizing how long it takes to draw and color with a laptop mouse pad. What are the best affordable drawing tablets/pads that I could invest in? Saw that people recommended the XP-PEN ( https://www.xp-pen.com ) , how about it and if possible which model to get?

My current method is to draw everything with paper and pencil, scan it in and trace everything in gimp. So I’d be thrilled to hear anyone’s General advice for a first time comic maker.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
You can find used Wacom Intuos 4 pads pretty damn cheap. They might not be state of the art now but they were good enough for industry work only a few years ago
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I have a small Wacom intuos that works fine once you get used to it. I have limited artustic ability but it's been fun.

I've been using medibang paint pro but I may switch over to Krita since it has more brush options.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
If you already own a good Apple or Android tablet, you may not need to do anything except download a digital art / drawing / painting app. There are some surprisingly good ones for little or no cost.

iPad
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/best-ipad-drawing-apps/

Android
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-free-digital-painting-apps-android/
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
You can find used Wacom Intuos 4 pads pretty damn cheap. They might not be state of the art now but they were good enough for industry work only a few years ago

It seems a old model, but i will think on it and then decide.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I have a small Wacom intuos that works fine once you get used to it. I have limited artustic ability but it's been fun.

I've been using medibang paint pro but I may switch over to Krita since it has more brush options.

wacom seems the best but overpriced to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
If you already own a good Apple or Android tablet, you may not need to do anything except download a digital art / drawing / painting app. There are some surprisingly good ones for little or no cost.

iPad
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/best-ipad-drawing-apps/

Android
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-free-digital-painting-apps-android/

thanks, i will read it carefully.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Blair1999 private msg quote post Address this user
my daughter is a very good, naturally talented artist, we bought her the XP-PAD, but her iPad pro seems better in almost every way. She uses Ibis Paint, Photoshop, and procreate.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaqiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

It seems a old model, but i will think on it and then decide.

You don’t need state of the art gear when you’re a novice just learning. Once you’ve learned the ropes you’ll know what you need and If you need a newer tablet.

Here’s an intuos 4 tablet for about $30
Post 9 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
I recommend clip studio paint pro. It’s a poor man’s Photoshop, but I like it better for drawing, more out-of-box brushes, much cheaper too. One-time fee, instead of subscription-based.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair1999
my daughter is a very good, naturally talented artist, we bought her the XP-PAD, but her iPad pro seems better in almost every way. She uses Ibis Paint, Photoshop, and procreate.

Procreate was the #1 choice for digital art apps in the cnet article (Apple iPad)

For Android - Photoshop Sketch, Autodesk Sketch and Mediabang paint seem to be widely regarded as equal to Procreate and two of the three are free. But Procreate is only $10 so if you have an iPad might as well give it a try.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Procreate is very good, sample below. It does feel like you are drawing on glass, which you are, lolz.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I found Procreate to be really good at sketches and drawings. Took some getting used to drawing on glass vs. pencil and paper.

What I felt cumbersome was the whole dealing with layers if you want to simulate the comic book process. Letters, word balloons, and panel boxes are not native to Procreate, so I had to use other applications.

Wish I had more time to explore this hobby.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake

Is that the cover of Marvels #2?

Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite You got it!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Other Angel doodles.

Here is a sketch that was scanned in and partially “inked” in clip studio paint (CSP) pro.

Playing with layers.

Unfinished, but I got to understand CSP better.
Post 16 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
This talk of old vs new tech and art reminds me of when I did 3D animation. 90s tech meant setting up a scene, animating it (frame by frame posing or using IK) and then… rendering maybe 15 seconds of 24 or 30 fps overnight.

That said, I’ve dabbled more recently (after a multi-decade gap) and despite easier UI and benefits of Moore’s Law the fundamentals remain the same. Echo others that state of the art isn’t necessary to get the fundamentals down.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
This talk of old vs new tech and art reminds me of when I did 3D animation. 90s tech meant setting up a scene, animating it (frame by frame posing or using IK) and then… rendering maybe 15 seconds of 24 or 30 fps overnight.

Render times were awful! Would have to render overnight and if a computer process timed out or a reset due to an application update, you would have some very unhappy artists in the morning!

I was a draftsperson for a steel fabrication company in the late 80s. When the new kids were rolling in with CAD experience, I knew my days were numbered and went to college lol.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@jake Ah, memories of Autocad v10…
Post 19 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I remember when my brother came home with a product called Lightwave. It was a competitor to 3d studio max a 3d rendering software. I remember him asking me to build a render farm. It took a few tries but I finally got it. Would take 15 minutes now to set up vs the days it took to figure it out back then.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Bronte LightWave, Softimage, 3DSMax and Alias/WF/Maya.

Memories.

Edit: I think LW was what they used for Babylon 5. I also remember Silicon Graphics (SGI) workstations being the animator’s grail… and I also remember the cost of 4mb of ram upgrades lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

Yeah. He never became really good at it, so he ended up teaching one of those programs at a really popular film school in Orlando called Full Sail.

I remember him forking out thousands for an oxygen 16 Meg video card.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
@Bronte LightWave, Softimage, 3DSMax and Alias/WF/Maya.

Memories.

Edit: I think LW was what they used for Babylon 5. I also remember Silicon Graphics (SGI) workstations being the animator’s grail… and I also remember the cost of 4mb of ram upgrades lol

You beat me to it! I still have the boxes of Softimage, 3DSMax and Maya sitting in storage. Yes, B5 was done in LW. I have a buddy who was a big advocate for it.

For a short time, I worked at company that wanted to branch off into gaming, so I got to kick the tires of Unreal Engine, Gamebryo, Unity 3D and a couple of game engines, but alas, the money dried up and so did the work.
Post 23 IP   flag post
601434 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?