Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Shipping Damage and Crap Packaging16991

I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Apologies to all if this is a duplicate thread but...

Dear Sellers - When you use flimsy USPS shipping boxes and basically no padding this is what you get every 1 out of 10 times. PLEASE STOP!!! I will never send you a book without adequate protection and I would QUITE APPRECIATE the same courtesy!

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. Are those tire tread marks?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if additional cushioning would have helped that at all. Looks like someone ran it over.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like it was caught in a sorting machine and was wrecked. I've had Gemini mailers get bent in half from those. That sucks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There are times I look at these shipping damage posts on various forums and seriously think to myself "how the heck can this even happen"?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I sometimes thing the Samsonite Gorilla has to be making its rounds with the shipping carriers. Looks like with this example, it’s a conveyer mishap or it was run over by a push pull cart and the worker/gorilla didn’t care to bend down to pick up first.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My worst fear is when I send my books to my presser or directly to a grading company.
I do insure them and do use registered mail, but I can't help but have the visions of what I've seen over the years happen to me.
It is truly stressful
Post 7 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
On the plus side you need not worry about Registered Mail going through a sorting machine… it doesn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
My worst fear is when I send my books to my presser or directly to a grading company.
I do insure them and do use registered mail, but I can't help but have the visions of what I've seen over the years happen to me.
It is truly stressful
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Double Box
Use Bubble Wrap
Never write fragile on package as it makes it a target for disgruntled USPS employees
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen that before, looks like a forklift drove over it. Just have to send it back and say, please add peanuts or bubble wrap around the item in the box next time.
Or you could ask for a refund to pay for the reslab
There are many people who don’t know how to ship, there always will be.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@figment WOW, that is some serious damage! There should always be multiple layers of bubblewrap when a book is being shipped in Priority boxes. It's negligent not to.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TheRealMrFreeze private msg quote post Address this user
That's insane. It's almost like they tried to go right over the fragile notice. Sorry to see thus. Feel for ya.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
There are times I look at these shipping damage posts on various forums and seriously think to myself "how the heck can this even happen"?

The seller wrote the 'F' word on the box.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Even with double layers of bubble wrap it it's ran over like that there's a pretty good chance it's gonna get cracked.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
Even with double layers of bubble wrap it it's ran over like that there's a pretty good chance it's gonna get cracked.

Oh yeah, the level of damage on that box in particular was catastrophic. Not even a double-walled box would stand up to being run over like that.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Fragile? It must be Italian.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
It's pronounced "Fra Jilly".

Writing it on a box is for decoration really, doesn't even mean anything.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Priority Mail does come with an automatic $50 or $100 worth of insurance, depending if sent by retail or commercial methods. Won't be enough to cover this damage, but maybe the seller insured it for full value, which would be the best scenario going forward. If not, looks like a return of that basket case for a refund. Best of luck in getting that resolved.
Post 18 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I have also received a few packages where I suspect the damage was done prior to shipment.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Priority Mail does come with an automatic $50 or $100 worth of insurance, depending if sent by retail or commercial methods. Won't be enough to cover this damage, but maybe the seller insured it for full value, which would be the best scenario going forward. If not, looks like a return of that basket case for a refund. Best of luck in getting that resolved.

If the seller didn't insure the parcel for the full value, the seller is crazy. Always insure for full value when shipping Priority.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Curious as to why there are 2 different USPS boxes in the photos. You can tell by the codes on the boxes - a Regional FRB2 and a 1095. Was it double boxed?
Post 21 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Curious as to why there are 2 different USPS boxes in the photos. You can tell by the codes on the boxes - a Regional FRB2 and a 1095. Was it double boxed?

The book was "wrapped" with pieces of a deconstructed FRB2 box, and then placed inside the 1095 box with a little bit of crumpled paper padding on one side only. This means the wrap and slab itself was loosely pressed directly against the outer box and would have been about 1/8" from the outer wall.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Quote:

The book was "wrapped" with pieces of a deconstructed FRB2 box, and then placed inside the 1095 box with a little bit of crumpled paper padding on one side only. This means the wrap and slab itself was loosely pressed directly against the outer box and would have been about 1/8" from the outer wall.

Unacceptable. When packaging anything even slightly fragile you should always try to place the item in the centre of the parcel so it can have the maximum amount of padding on all sides. I chop up used boxes all the time to add a little extra shielding to parcels, but that's always in addition to layers of bubble wrap. Butcher paper has its uses, but it's not good at protecting an item from damage. All it does is keep an item from being in direct contact with the sides of the box.
Post 23 IP   flag post
615787 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?