Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Store comics in MyLites but regular backing boards (not acid-free),is fine?16988

Collector persianninja private msg quote post Address this user
I was curious I see a bunch of E. Gerber's MyLites at the comic store, but never the E. Gerber's backing boards, so for now I been using regular boards they have. Does most of the page yellowing that I assume occurs because of acid occur because of the regular bags or boards? like if its 99% because of the bag, then I'll prob be fine with the regular boards in the next year or 2 until I order E. Gerber's backing boards. if its 50/50, then I guess I'll spring for the boards sooner rather than later.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
I can't answer your question but I think most comic backing boards have some acid protection.

Also, there is a paper shortage. It may be why E. Gerber is not taking orders for Full Backs.

Comic Pro Line is reducing their sales on 56pt boards as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Backing boards are best if they're bleached and acid-free for protecting the book from deteriorating, but that's not the only purpose. Bleached acid-free white boards can also protect your books from insect predation because the bugs don't like the white boards. I don't know if the bleached boards have a smell or chemicals that drive them away, but they really do work. I had a serious bug problem some years ago with some books that were in storage.

That is TERMITE damage. Every affected book had a plain board and looked something like this - some worse, some better - and every book that was near or in among the damaged books that had a bleached white board was untouched. This is why, if I can manage it, I always use bleached acid-free white boards.

By the way, that book up there is a Dark Horse Presents #10. Maybe I should say it's about 95 ~ 98% of a copy of DHP #10.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd wow..just wow....don't have termites in my area - that's crazy!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Byrdibyrd wow..just wow....don't have termites in my area - that's crazy!!

Termites SUCK. Silverfish can't even hold a candle to the dang termites. If I could change one thing about living in SoCal, it just might be the removal of all termites. Fortunately, debacles like this don't happen very often.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Backing boards are best if they're bleached and acid-free for protecting the book from deteriorating, but that's not the only purpose. Bleached acid-free white boards can also protect your books from insect predation because the bugs don't like the white boards. I don't know if the bleached boards have a smell or chemicals that drive them away, but they really do work. I had a serious bug problem some years ago with some books that were in storage.

That is TERMITE damage. Every affected book had a plain board and looked something like this - some worse, some better - and every book that was near or in among the damaged books that had a bleached white board was untouched. This is why, if I can manage it, I always use bleached acid-free white boards.

By the way, that book up there is a Dark Horse Presents #10. Maybe I should say it's about 95 ~ 98% of a copy of DHP #10.

Is there a brand you recommend? Do they say "bleached" on the packaging?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The long box that was set on top of a crack in the floor that had termites come up through it had all kinds of bags & boards in it. The common factor for books that were not damaged was the white (bleached acid-free) backing boards. They used to say 'bleached' on the packaging back then (80's), but nowadays they will sometimes say it in the product description. For example, BCW says their boards are 'solid bleached sulfate.' As far as I know, acid-free boards will be bleached even if they don't specifically say so. Also, look at the board. If it's a solid, stark white on both sides with no colour change in between, then the board is almost certainly bleached. If one side is not white or you see a darker core between the two white sides, then the board is not bleached.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I called egerber and they supposedly will start taking orders again in April. Definitely tied to product shortages.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
I always use the BCE acid free boards and 2mil mylites. It's a peace of mind thing for me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Here is what I picked up at the show along with 100 bags. The combo put me back $20. These boards should suffice for my pull list books. They state acid free.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector persianninja private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
et on top of a crack in the floor that had termites come up through it had all kinds of bags

Hmmmm let me check the boards that I got from my comic store.
I just assumed anything not E.Gerber was not acid-free.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by persianninja

Almost all reputable brand boards are at least “acid free at time of manufacture”

Here’s a good comparison: https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/205695-are-acid-free-backing-boards-truly-acid-free-time-to-ph-test-amp-find-out/
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:

Almost all reputable brand boards are at least “acid free at time of manufacture”

Here’s a good comparison: https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/205695-are-acid-free-backing-boards-truly-acid-free-time-to-ph-test-amp-find-out/

Yeah, the only boards that don't jack up books quickly are Gerber Half and Full Backs.

Even than, on older books with significant cover oxidation, I have noticed full backs get stain transfer from the books after just a few months.

Unavoidable due to heavy oxidation but at least they don't eat into the paper quality like regular boards i.e.BCW boards do.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:

Good article! Thanks for sharing.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600736 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?