Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking, part 216960

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I've had alligator tail in New Orleans a few times. It was served as if it were chicken nuggets.
Post 376 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
The dish is an amalgam because we (usually “I”) cook every day and it is typically after I’ve been up for 13-14 hrs… so practicality trumps details. My wife does take down some of my recipes to execute when I’m not cooking but I go by intuition rather than measuring ingredients.

It isn’t really exactly general tso, or orange chicken, or sesame chicken. Closest is general tso (which I think goes very well with broccoli).

Batter (tonight) was blend of cornstarch and flour. Chicken in egg, soy, garlic, marinade for about 2 hrs. Sauce includes chinese black vinegar (soeos), hoisin, dark brown sugar, cayenne, ginger, lime juice to add tang, garlic and rice wine (plus water and soy). Cornstarch to thicken. Toasted sesame seeds.

Fried in rotating batches (2 batches, twice fried each) in canola at 350 degrees - flame up when dropping a batch, back flame off when emptying to keep oil temp constant. Broccoli was wok stir fried.

Easy meal. I add more heat separately. If it was for just wife and me then the ingredients would have more zing and less zang.
Post 377 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you. I'll share this with my brother. Never heard of Chinese black vinegar
Post 378 IP   flag post
There aren’t many dishes I won’t try. Setting aside dumb ones (puffer fish) or dishes solely to prove something (puffer fish again?)

Alligator was okay. Best I can describe it is between turkey and bison.

So a bit grainy and drier than chicken and beef lol.

Edit: “dumb” being a real risk of illness or death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
By your points I'm assuming it was indeed chicken.

I know a Chinese place by me that used to serve ostrich. Bought it for my boss, but didn't have the guts to try it myself....

There is an ostrich farm a couple towns over, so I've had ostrich burgers before and they're really quite good. I've also had elk, bison, wild boar, frog legs, escargot, squid ink spaghetti, the aforementioned rattlesnake, Rocky Mountain oysters, and lots of other strangeness. I rather enjoy the adventure. I'd love to try alligator someday.
Post 379 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thank you. I'll share this with my brother. Never heard of Chinese black vinegar

It isn’t so much a recipe as a list. I am sure my wife has an “execution” copy somewhere of another variant that I’ve made. There is a great drunken noodle chicken I used to make that I’m sure isn’t too authentic (but maybe not far off)… my wife made me walk her through the steps with actual measurements. She then became the one to recreate it… and was more consistent than me.
Post 380 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
no one knows what General Tso's chicken is?

General Tso's is, in my opinion, the most under-available great Chinese dish. Orange chicken is available everywhere. Tso's...the better, spicier version, you can hardly find in California. We have a Thai restaurant down the street that makes a Lemon Chicken that might be better than both Orange and Tso's. It's quite a bit less sweet than an Orange Chicken and has a more delicate breading to it.
Post 381 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Heard of but never had drunken noodles. If you care to share, I'd appreciate it.
Post 382 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
There aren’t many dishes I won’t try. Setting aside dumb ones (puffer fish) or dishes solely to prove something (puffer fish again?)

Fugu Me!

Post 383 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

General Tso's is, in my opinion, the most under-available great Chinese dish. Orange chicken is available everywhere. Tso's...the better, spicier version, you can hardly find in California. We have a Thai restaurant down the street that makes a Lemon Chicken that might be better than both Orange and Tso's. It's quite a bit less sweet than an Orange Chicken and has a more delicate breading to it.

Might be region-specific. In NYC you could find 3 Generals to 1 orange. Where I am now they are 1:1.

There are many places that serve the general with thick batter to hide lack of quality (or any) chicken.
Post 384 IP   flag post
@Bronte I’ll dig it up in the next few days and send you a screenshot.
Post 385 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 386 IP   flag post
I figured you were in a different time zone but didn’t think it was -this- different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

Post 387 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave can never go wrong with breakfast for dinner.
Post 388 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Pancakes are forever.

They go straight to my backside and trust me; they've been there forever.
Post 389 IP   flag post
Beef chow fun

Post 390 IP   flag post
I’d have fun chowing on that beef.

Quote:
Beef chow fun

Post 391 IP   flag post
Made four pizzas.

Was windy … not good for outdoor gas cooking. Flames licked the crust a few times too many but it was salvageable and delicious.

Post 392 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Getting up nice and early in the morning to get the smoker going for a brisket and some ribs.
Post 393 IP   flag post
@Puckster

Pellet or traditional smoker?
Post 394 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte
I used to be all traditional. Even used my oak from my property that I would split. I went down the cheating path though and use pellet now. I think I earned that right. They turn out freaking awesome, too.
Post 395 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Might be region-specific. In NYC you could find 3 Generals to 1 orange. Where I am now they are 1:1.

There are many places that serve the general with thick batter to hide lack of quality (or any) chicken.

I think there is some relationship between Panda Express being from California and the proliferation of Orange Chicken here. They have over 2,200 locations but were heavily California for a long time. They seem to claim Orange Chicken as their signature dish.
Post 396 IP   flag post
Quote:
Made four pizzas.

Was windy … not good for outdoor gas cooking. Flames licked the crust a few times too many but it was salvageable and delicious.

I would not have any problem enjoying that extra char on the crust. The inconsistency in amount of cooking is part of what makes it so good. I've always felt that way about tacos also. A truly great taco should be inconsistent in the ratio of ingredients and each bite should be unique.
Post 397 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I've had alligator tail in New Orleans a few times. It was served as if it were chicken nuggets.

You ever tried their cow tounge?
Post 398 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I'm thinking the cow tounge served in Lafayette is more tasteful than your alligator tail.

Over the years I've lost my taste for pickled pigs feet, but that used to be a favorite of mine for a long time (I still like a good pickled sausage though). I think the mistake was in moving from the small jar to the family sized jar. That was a lot of pickled pigs feet to have in the fridge for a long time.
Post 399 IP   flag post
Who would’ve thought Costco carried pickled pig feet? Still enjoying my beets by the barrel.

Gotta love Costco.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I'm thinking the cow tounge served in Lafayette is more tasteful than your alligator tail.

Over the years I've lost my taste for pickled pigs feet, but that used to be a favorite of mine for a long time (I still like a good pickled sausage though). I think the mistake was in moving from the small jar to the family sized jar. That was a lot of pickled pigs feet to have in the fridge for a long time.
Post 400 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Zucchini boats are a personal favorite.
You might like the zucchini skillet recipe we have.
Did I miss the recipe? I pretty much only bake zucchini or steam baby zucchini, so I’m interested in alternatives.
Post 401 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I like to marinate zucchini (honey & garlic veggie marinade) and then bake.
Post 402 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll dig it out of the archives and post it tomorrow @steveinthecity.

So you don’t get your hopes up, it’s hamburger helper without paying the man. Plus fresh zucchini.
Post 403 IP   flag post
Quote:
Who would’ve thought Costco carried pickled pig feet? Still enjoying my beets by the barrel.

Gotta love Costco.

That's funny because I originally wrote Coscto-sized and then changed it to family-sized before posting. In the very early days of Costco (I think our Portland area Costco was store #2 or #3) you could actually find large jars of pickled sausages and I believe also pickled pigs feet. Can't find those things at Costco anymore but we have a pretty large assortment of Mexican Supermarkets where the pigs feet are readily available in large quantities.
Post 404 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Watch out work....

Post 405 IP   flag post
600438 999 30