Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking, part 216960

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte great, right? Amazing what a fan, heat and a confined space can do.

Convection ovens can achieve similar-ish results by using the upper third of the oven and convect bake mode and a wire mesh or grate over a pan.

When we need to “air fry” in larger batches that is what we do. Speed improvement vs conventional baking is not as dramatic (because physics) but the outcome in cook quality is similar.
Post 276 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
As promised.

Post 277 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Looks so good...
Post 278 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
There liquor in that pina colonic?
Post 279 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

HA!!! Pina Colonic! 🤣
Post 280 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

Sounds like there might be liquor in you.
Post 281 IP   flag post
So.... that’s a negative on the baked good.
Post 282 IP   flag post
Positively.
Post 283 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
By the way, I forget who suggested it, but thank you to the folks that suggested an air fryer. Costco had a sale this month and I picked one up. So far very solid investment.

@Bronte, now you're in my cooking kingdom! I'm gonna have to take you shopping in the freezer section at Costco girlfriend! Seriously...#1 air fried item in my house is Costco's Panko battered chicken nuggets...9 minutes on 380 degrees. Followed by spring rolls, turkey bacon, beer battered halibut, mozzerela sticks, leftover French Fries from anywhere. And the latest addition...frozen tater tots! You can also use it to turn a frozen burrito into a chimichanga. Just thaw for 60 seconds in the microwave before going to the air fryer. We are going to upgrade ours to a air fryer/toaster oven combo in order to get rid of one unnecessary appliance.
Post 284 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I bought mozzarella sticks from Costco and the cauliflower tater tots. I heated in air fryer and they turned out well. The only thing I need to be mindful of is reheating stuff takes 1/2 or less time than I thought it would. I burned the hell outta some onion rings...
Post 285 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

They were having a sale on breville toaster over / sir fryers on anazon, but after talking to my brother we opted for stand alone. Apparently the dual purpose stuff doesn't get as high a reviews as stand alone. But I definitely understand the lack of counter space.
Post 286 IP   flag post
Quote:
cauliflower tater tots

I don't know if we can be forum friends anymore. cauliflower tater tots!
Post 287 IP   flag post
Quote:
I bought mozzarella sticks from Costco

By the way, play with the temperatures a bit. They typically start up automatically at 370. I've found for things like Mozzarella sticks and spring rolls (smaller frozen items with crisp exterior) it's better to go to something like 390 for 8-9 minutes. Gives it a crisper exterior.

Post 288 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
cauliflower tater tots

I don't know if we can be forum friends anymore. cauliflower tater tots!

Wwll I certainly wasn't going to be your girlfriend so this is a step in tbe right direction?
Post 289 IP   flag post
Actually, I've had cauliflower tater tots and they're not bad. Had 'em with buffalo seasoning, so they were a tad spicey.
Post 290 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Actually, I've had cauliflower tater tots

It's an oxymoron...a contradiction in terms. There ain't no tater in them tots!
Post 291 IP   flag post
White trash special....

Post 292 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad not even. Those look like fancy corn dogs.
Post 293 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm thinking of experimenting for breakfast tomorrow. This morning I picked up some cheddar / jalapeño bagels at local bakery.

I think I am going to take a couple, cut as usual. Then smash each half part way. Dip in French toast batter (egg, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon) and cook as French toast. Then use pepper infused honey instead of syrup for topping. Probably would be best with fried chicken on top but figured I'd try alone first.

The honey I have;

https://www.firebeehoney.com/products/firebee-spicy-honey?currency=USD&variant=29498552549473&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ICJlaz09gIVCIrICh0A_ANbEAQYASABEgKJRPD_BwE

Thoughts?
Post 294 IP   flag post
Wouldn't the bagel be too chewy? If you soaked it to the point of it being non chewy it would be kinda like custard right?
Post 295 IP   flag post
@Bronte

I see the concern. TBD I suppose. I can see the the outside crust staying consistent and chewy. However the inside I can see going either way.
Post 296 IP   flag post
If you try it, let us know how it turns out. I'm curious as to what happens...
Post 297 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra Hell, I'd give it a try. That honey looks delicious!
Post 298 IP   flag post

Can't tell in the pic but I scored the crusts so the batter could get in crust side too.

Turned out pretty well. Not overly chewy. Sweet with some heat.
Post 299 IP   flag post
Too bad none of you guys are local. My tenant tried giving me a bunch of seafood and even though I rejected a bunch of it, I walked away with mussels and sea bass.

I convinced brother to try and cook the fish, the mussels I am trying to find a home for....
Post 300 IP   flag post
I have a mussel pasta recipe if you’d like it. It includes shrimp as well.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Thank you, but nobody in my house can eat shell fish. 2 have gout and I dont eat seafood.
Post 302 IP   flag post
Roger
Post 303 IP   flag post
Kinda hard to see but the fish is breathing smoke....

Post 304 IP   flag post
Gorgeous fish! That will be amazing. I'm just having some Brussel sprouts and bacon.
Post 305 IP   flag post
600633 999 30