Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Right now as I type there is a HULK #181 CBCS 9.4 on Comiclink.com with 9 days, 2 hours and some minutes left before the auction is over. High bid is $14,250.00. I have 10oz in GOLD COINS. Spot Gold is going for about $1,917.70 an ounce or $19,177.00. My question is simple. Do I sell my gold and put that money towards this grail of a comic book or save my gold.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, hang on to the gold.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
save your gold
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
GOLD!!!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
Stay Gold pony boy
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, hulk 181 has a lot of room to grow in regards to Wolverine being introduced into the MCU. However, you will prolly need to pay capital gains on that coin, so you might want to add that cost into your final calculations.

One thing I did with my gold coins is have them graded. They are worth more than just gold going rate because of that. I sent to NGC, CGCs partner. It was a a little more complicated than submitting comics, because I had to look up a few unfamiliar terms and called them to answer questions. That and registered mail because fedrx doesn't cover insurance on over 2k$
Post 6 IP   flag post
Wow. So far it's (22) keep my GOLD to (0) for a HULK #181. What comic book would you sell your gold for?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Right now as I type there is a HULK #181 CBCS 9.4 on Comiclink.com with 9 days, 2 hours and some minutes left before the auction is over. High bid is $14,250.00. I have 10oz in GOLD COINS. Spot Gold is going for about $1,917.70 an ounce or $19,177.00. My question is simple. Do I sell my gold and put that money towards this grail of a comic book or save my gold.

That book is going to sell for more than $20k. Both are great investments - and both can fluctuate - so you should do what gives most pleasure
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
gold is like stocks. it can flucterate because next day could be worth way more.....or not as much.

best to find another way to pay.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
In my opinion, hulk 181 has a lot of room to grow in regards to Wolverine being introduced into the MCU. However, you will prolly need to pay capital gains on that coin, so you might want to add that cost into your final calculations.

One thing I did with my gold coins is have them graded. They are worth more than just gold going rate because of that. I sent to NGC, CGCs partner. It was a a little more complicated than submitting comics, because I had to look up a few unfamiliar terms and called them to answer questions. That and registered mail because fedrx doesn't cover insurance on over 2k$

Thank you for this. The gold coins are (10) one ounce 2006 AMERICAN BUFFALO coins not early 19th century coins.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Heres the last 2 years of gold prices just for some data.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Myself i would sell the gold, (War fears for one reason ) and load the book up as I think the coming four years from the kingdom of Mouse will have some positive effects for this particular book....in fact I see this very comic book theme used in a movie sooner than later
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Wow. So far it's (22) keep my GOLD to (0) for a HULK #181. What comic book would you sell your gold for?

There are none that I would sell Gold for. The thing is Gold is far more liquid than comic books. If you needed $19,000 today, you could get in your car and be guaranteed to sell your Gold for at least 95% of FMV...which is why you are actually able to do this transaction. You could not get $19,000 today from your Hulk 181 9.4. It would require time and fairly large transaction costs.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Myself i would sell the gold, (War fears for one reason ) and load the book up as I think the coming four years from the kingdom of Mouse will have some positive effects for this particular book....in fact I see this very comic book theme used in a movie sooner than later

Interesting.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Hold the gold. Gold has always been worth something to someone, and unlike paper, it will not deteriorate.
Post 15 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Gold, Jerry.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Heres the last 2 years of gold prices just for some data.

And how much has a CBCS 9.4 HULK #181 gone up in value?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
HOLD the Gold.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Gold because as someone mentioned extremely easy to liquidate at any time.

However maybe you can trade the gold (since it always has an exact price and lots of people want it) towards a copy which would make things much easier for you.
Post 20 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Gold over Bronze. No question here.
Post 21 IP   flag post
So - from a majority of votes - does this mean that no one should buy comics anymore - but instead buy gold? Can always get a digital subscription to read comic books
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Gold was around $900/oz right before the global economic collapse of 2008, where it peaked around $2,200-$2,500/oz. The lowest dip since that time has been right around $1000 and it's now back up near $2000/oz. Essentially, unless you purchase prior to the 2008 collapse or happened to hit that window in late 2015, the value of gold hasn't really gone up that much over the past 14 years or so. Inflation and stock worries have the price back-up now, but if we get some economic stability in the next 18 months it'll likely return to around $1500-1600/oz. Gold hasn't even performed as well as the S&P 500 or DOW over the past decade (though is secure from financial market collapse).

What has Hulk 181 done since 2008? Has it peaked? The "can you offload it quickly" thing seems like a no-brainer. Maybe not in a day, but a hulk 181 you could easily sell within 4 weeks for full FMV if you needed the money. dumping gold rapidly for near FMV isn't as easy as people seem to be indicating here (I've tried it before with that and silver...it's NOT quick or easy)

The only valid concern I saw was having to pay tax on selling your gold.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I’d sell the gold, comics still have higher upside IMO. However I would skip the 181 and buy 4 or 5 pretty big keys, maybe a lower grade 181 as part of that.
I like to spread my risk.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Gold is not an investment tool..it is a holder of value
If we were about to enter or were in a recession I would say Gold.
If you are looking at an investment tool then Grail 100%
181 has the benefit of being fairly blue chip (just to mix metaphors!) so it is likely the value of 181 will at the very least remain in a narrow band - similar to gold - but has the upside of potential high returns when/if the value spikes
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
The "can you offload it quickly" thing seems like a no-brainer. Maybe not in a day, but a hulk 181 you could easily sell within 4 weeks for full FMV if you needed the money. dumping gold rapidly for near FMV isn't as easy as people seem to be indicating here

@poka

This whole scenario is actually pretty near and dear to me. I sold a house in August 2020 and did not immediately repurchase another home. I wanted a hedge against inflation in the meantime, so I put similar amounts of money into both precious metals (gold/silver) and collectible comic books. As you might guess, the comic book investing was far more fun and in fact, over the 18 months the comic book investment appear to have done far better than the gold/silver investment which is actually down about 5% from when I purchased it. I recently bought a house and the time came to liquidate some of the investment money that I had put into my inflation hedges. I have spent 90 days trying to get something close to current FMV for about 25% of the comic books. That has been a long and slow and complicated process, with significant transaction fees and associated costs. For the Gold on the other hand. I put a few ounces in my car, I drove them to the same place they were purchased and was paid exactly spot price for it.
I don't mean to imply that anyone's answer would offend me, but you really do have to consider liquidity when evaluating investments.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
The "can you offload it quickly" thing seems like a no-brainer. Maybe not in a day, but a hulk 181 you could easily sell within 4 weeks for full FMV if you needed the money. dumping gold rapidly for near FMV isn't as easy as people seem to be indicating here

@poka

This whole scenario is actually pretty near and dear to me. I sold a house in August 2020 and did not immediately repurchase another home. I wanted a hedge against inflation in the meantime, so I put similar amounts of money into both precious metals (gold/silver) and collectible comic books. As you might guess, the comic book investing was far more fun and in fact, over the 18 months the comic book investment appear to have done far better than the gold/silver investment which is actually down about 5% from when I purchased it. I recently bought a house and the time came to liquidate some of the investment money that I had put into my inflation hedges. I have spent 90 days trying to get something close to current FMV for about 25% of the comic books. That has been a long and slow and complicated process, with significant transaction fees and associated costs. For the Gold on the other hand. I put a few ounces in my car, I drove them to the same place they were purchased and was paid exactly spot price for it.
I don't mean to imply that anyone's answer would offend me, but you really to have to consider liquidity when evaluating investments.

Congrats with your new house!!!

Couple of things. Gold is actually a poor choice against inflation as gold price is a global price whereas you wish to hedge against US inflation. The price of gold is determined based on many other things than US inflation.

But as you point out - it is very liquid

But I am sure that if you were willing to sell your comics for what you originally paid for them rather than FMV - then you could sell them easier - do I have first dip?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
But I am sure that if you were willing to sell your comics for what you originally paid for them rather than FMV - then you could sell them easier - do I have first dip?

That's mostly true, but if that was the goal then I would not have tried to hedge at all. Many of my comic book purchases came with a 9% sales tax and would likely have a minimum of 8% is selling fees. So break even for the comic books is 17% above purchase price. If one doesn't have the sales tax issue, it's still 8%. Gold had a 2.5% purchase premium and no sales tax. When I sold the gold, I lost a total 5% on the transaction, including all expenses...even though Gold was slightly lower than when I purchased it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
and...97% of Ukrainians say keep the gold!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

That's mostly true, but if that was the goal then I would not have tried to hedge at all. Many of my comic book purchases came with a 9% sales tax and would likely have a minimum of 8% is selling fees. So break even for the comic books is 17% above purchase price. If one doesn't have the sales tax issue, it's still 8%. Gold had a 2.5% purchase premium and no sales tax. When I sold the gold, I lost a total 5% on the transaction, including all expenses...even though Gold was slightly lower than when I purchased it.

proves my point about gold is not necessarily a good hedge against inflation. you lost 5% (in notional terms before inflation) whereas inflation in the same period has been up
Post 30 IP   flag post
601342 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?