Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Batman 500, what's the difference?16940

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure a board member can help with this. I have 2 different Batman 500 comics. the only difference appears to be that one has "Batman" written in silver and the other is in white. What's up with this? and is one more desirable/valuable than the other? Any help is appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Are either of the covers embossed? I see both covers in the other guys slabs as a collector edition. The silver embossed cover commands a bit more than the other.
The white cover possibly a second print?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Unless I'm seeing things...Wheres the apostrophe?

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort I believe these are die cut covers. They are both foiled, correct? I might look under the die cut portion to see if the corner box tells us anything. I k ow there is a second print of the other cover but I’m not sure if this cover saw subsequent prints.

I know there have been books with slight color variations mostly attributed to variations in the printing (think Batman Adventures 12 from about the same time period). I am not sure how foiling would affect that but it might not be a different book, necessarily.

@OGJackster I attributed that to light reflecting on the bag or something and not a difference in the book itself
Post 4 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
EMAIL ALERTSCHECKBOXYTCHECKBOXManage Email Alerts
Questions
Batman 500, what's the difference?
« Forum Home
Pages:1

I don't think it's an apostrophe, I think it's a reflection. I don't have the books on me I brought the pics to work and posted them during my lunch. It would take me a while to find it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TellEmSteveDave
Are either of the covers embossed? I see both covers in the other guys slabs as a collector edition. The silver embossed cover commands a bit more than the other.
The white cover possibly a second print?

A second print makes sense but I was unable to find anything on MCS or gocollect. The silver one is the one that was easy to find the white one is the one I couldn't find anywhere.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@TellEmSteveDave, neither cover is embossed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Is there any possibility it’s just a difference in the foiling reflecting the ambient lighting and not necessarily a difference in the book?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@sportshort I believe these are die cut covers. They are both foiled, correct? I might look under the die cut portion to see if the corner box tells us anything. I k ow there is a second print of the other cover but I’m not sure if this cover saw subsequent prints.

I know there have been books with slight color variations mostly attributed to variations in the printing (think Batman Adventures 12 from about the same time period). I am not sure how foiling would affect that but it might not be a different book, necessarily.

@OGJackster I attributed that to light reflecting on the bag or something and not a difference in the book itself

I don't believe they are die cut. I will need to remove them from their bags but I don't think so.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS lists both as a direct cover.
The second print has a different cover.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Is there any possibility it’s just a difference in the foiling reflecting the ambient lighting and not necessarily a difference in the book?

No, I took the pictures this past weekend and stared at the books to make sure I wasn't imagining the difference. Once was clearly white. Also I just notice the the stripe at the top with the words "knightfall" is more purple than the other.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@TellEmSteveDave I think they are. There is text being cut off from the corner boxes

Post 12 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That "Collector's Edition" cover for Batman #500 should all be embossed & foiled. I checked on the DF Editions, too (multiple DF editions - some signed), and they all have foil, too. If you have one that is not foil, then you may have a cover error, and that could be worth something. There are folks out there (myself included) who like to collect 'error' books.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@TellEmSteveDave I think they are. There is text being cut off from the corner boxes

that'll teach me not to open it. lol

I have two with the silver batman and one with the white Batman. the two silver ones have the more purple stripe and the white Batman has the more orange/red stripe.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Right now my verdict is that it’s just variation in the printing and not necessarily a different book the same way Batman Adventures 12 has light and dark versions
Post 15 IP   flag post
I’ll see if I can get to them this weekend and look at them closer.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
According to Overstreet, the die cut foil version has two cards, and then it lists a plain one, which I am going to assume is the non foil version...it is a bit vague...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalphoto
According to Overstreet, the die cut foil version has two cards, and then it lists a plain one, which I am going to assume is the non foil version...it is a bit vague...

The other non-Collector's edition has a different cover by Kelley Jones. The die-cut, embossed, foiled (etc., etc...) cover is by Joe Quesada. Since it's not complicated enough already, the Jones cover has different editions as well.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.comics.org/issue/999641/

"Special edition has die-cut cover and two Batman postcards.

The die-cut cover is actually a double cover. Batman [Bruce Wayne] appears on the outer front cover, and when lifting the die-cut portion, Batman [Jean-Paul Valley] appears in the same scene, replacing Bruce. The left side of the inner cover (the back side of the front outer die-cut cover) shows Robin being threatened by Bane in a continuation of the Jean-Paul Valley art. The back inside cover also shows the same scene of Robin being threatened by Bane in a continuation of the Bruce Wayne art from the front outer cover."
Post 19 IP   flag post
@HexView, if the special edition is the silver lettered one then The regular edition must be the white lettered one one. Right?
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
The silver title book looks like a normal Direct #500. The white one just looks like it skipped the silver ink step - no silver ink on BATMAN, not on 500, not on KNIGHTFALL, not on 19, but should be.

MCS shows 3 additional examples as "Second or later printing", "poly-bagged", or "unbagged". All 3 have the same cover that is completely different from the Direct version.

If the bottom one does not have the Batman die-cut overlay, than it might just be a reprinting of the direct version without the bells and whistles. DC just loves to reprint things. And reprint, and reprint, and....
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
I just looked at mine. I have three and they are all the foil embossed covers.

I just looked at CLZ to see what they have listed. They have 5 covers. Two regular and three die cut.

500C: Collector's Edition Release: Aug 1993 Cover: Oct 1993.

500D: Special Edition with a Barcode 761941200057001 Release: Oct 1993 Release: Oct 1993. The two covers look identical.

This is the inside of mine:

Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
The silver title book looks like a normal Direct #500. The white one just looks like it skipped the silver ink step - no silver ink on BATMAN, not on 500, not on KNIGHTFALL, not on 19, but should be.

This exactly. If that cover really is white - not just a trick of the light - than it is likely an error cover where the foil was never applied.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@HexView, if the special edition is the silver lettered one then The regular edition must be the white lettered one one. Right?

The regular edition has a different cover with art by Kelley Jones. The white lettered one above could be an error.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Belarak, thanks for posting. Here's a non-sequitur, the indicia in your picture says “For advertising space contact: Tom Ballou, (212 )636-5520". I see this in comics a lot. there must be zero turnover rate in the Sales Advertising department for the comic book companies to feel confident that this person will be there anytime you call that number. I would just write "for advertising space call XXX-XXX". Just sayin'.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

This exactly. If that cover really is white - not just a trick of the light - than it is likely an error cover where the foil was never applied.

You might be right but I just looked on ebay and found one with the exact same characteristics as my white-lettered Batman 500, including the orange/red stripe. below is the ebay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362955217143?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5481d118f7:g:xV0AAOSwS~FaUMuG&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS5%252FLJbfonbQUYd49AU1AJY%252Fp65oSGcmCwQwCWl%252BCEz6plbAUxgeyqIp1E84eYCgVs1BgK8pTHrg3lyrPMOpSTxEvTpyLm3Gnrn1WV90FvfHrsSDRR7SdZv3X9QrbaAsfR28Ng1rkbTRh6RfX2oxyLHTkreaHxukSusJgZQLiLsX5crSAdB9YwldDCKet6Aq7PFtfj4FlR40cSUWnV%252BHazLPvHRZjGFj1NYGJG8lGAK37AOmnDJrbTD5pMtYIs0GLZn4th2J2Z2q3qotc1J8a55EaHPbh9ZYtNHmsR5%252FcBKUkPocqKk58WSnl5vFj1wqQ0%252B%252F3Cx8pAt5zEslJKQBpqX8Va8bTlfMKLhbWZq4QPYMMEU%252Bup7OwB5CTtrS8GKWTvM%252FwrrxvNUfIKJANimvuT5POGgEkpm3Z2NkyAhZ36v%252BfFZT0qSWdUcPG9skPGqNX6mu%252F67eyhokfbZJKmpxSAUlfBiTe4U9lcpzQXBZlWvskZdrNp9orJiehQcbl9QRvT0b79Em1WUWAoQ%252BdAy0Ev65FnOOx8HOLLxyr7UwSH1eTEXZexRjXo%252BqVqXskjuoxOM92QUxmLaJJby9RnxdSVR28im1SweLTY96ZMP9UOhPK5XJHTYLwQfKYrYfAMWK8NPKhpaRw1j8d0v%252BgBQYxUw%252BVm16Upp2t4vSrfjEz%252FDuh9qSiH6qJAlwg11VFU86I8vZUdxEAdsYqpRjB%252BtW2JRM45ayGDDdGDDIz1wo3oNeldlAhsgg7HZy02e4IWoUKYDBkk0YbLO4frQbRTXPluixMOF5Eqgn7YMxNCpeJQsLFrwldnXu5gWyYU6ecMher4%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMnImt7-Ff

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

You might be right but I just looked on ebay and found one with the exact same characteristics as my white-lettered Batman 500, including the orange/red stripe. below is the ebay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362955217143?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5481d118f7:g:xV0AAOSwS~FaUMuG&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS5%252FLJbfonbQUYd49AU1AJY%252Fp65oSGcmCwQwCWl%252BCEz6plbAUxgeyqIp1E84eYCgVs1BgK8pTHrg3lyrPMOpSTxEvTpyLm3Gnrn1WV90FvfHrsSDRR7SdZv3X9QrbaAsfR28Ng1rkbTRh6RfX2oxyLHTkreaHxukSusJgZQLiLsX5crSAdB9YwldDCKet6Aq7PFtfj4FlR40cSUWnV%252BHazLPvHRZjGFj1NYGJG8lGAK37AOmnDJrbTD5pMtYIs0GLZn4th2J2Z2q3qotc1J8a55EaHPbh9ZYtNHmsR5%252FcBKUkPocqKk58WSnl5vFj1wqQ0%252B%252F3Cx8pAt5zEslJKQBpqX8Va8bTlfMKLhbWZq4QPYMMEU%252Bup7OwB5CTtrS8GKWTvM%252FwrrxvNUfIKJANimvuT5POGgEkpm3Z2NkyAhZ36v%252BfFZT0qSWdUcPG9skPGqNX6mu%252F67eyhokfbZJKmpxSAUlfBiTe4U9lcpzQXBZlWvskZdrNp9orJiehQcbl9QRvT0b79Em1WUWAoQ%252BdAy0Ev65FnOOx8HOLLxyr7UwSH1eTEXZexRjXo%252BqVqXskjuoxOM92QUxmLaJJby9RnxdSVR28im1SweLTY96ZMP9UOhPK5XJHTYLwQfKYrYfAMWK8NPKhpaRw1j8d0v%252BgBQYxUw%252BVm16Upp2t4vSrfjEz%252FDuh9qSiH6qJAlwg11VFU86I8vZUdxEAdsYqpRjB%252BtW2JRM45ayGDDdGDDIz1wo3oNeldlAhsgg7HZy02e4IWoUKYDBkk0YbLO4frQbRTXPluixMOF5Eqgn7YMxNCpeJQsLFrwldnXu5gWyYU6ecMher4%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMnImt7-Ff

Interesting because the listing clearly states that the book has a foil cover, but it sure doesn't look like it. Either the lighting is making the foil look odd, or the listing is incorrect. Weird.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Curiouser and curiouser.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Is the white cover foil?
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm going to take a closer look, maybe the batman? I'm not sure. with luck, I will post this weekend and try and get to the bottom of this.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598074 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?