Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Which looks better? This freshly graded CBCS 8.5 which was screened but not pressed?

Or this newly MCS listed cgc “9.0”?

I guess the impact dent to the left of the 68, the corner tear on the bottom left, top right corner or edge mars don’t matter to cgc.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Is it me or is the picture...but does the CBCS 8.5 have a brighter white cover than the CGC 9.0?

*shrugs*
Tim
Post 2 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Hint:

Post 3 IP   flag post
....also as I have watched some recent CGC unboxing vids online, it seems that CGC is either failing to press or take extra scrutiny on books - causing some 9.8 grades to actually be 9.6 or lower...???

Anyhow...I think I will stay here...*hugs to all* CBCS seems to be more critical in their grade assessments.

I'd also give the 8.5 a checkmark...lol

Tim
Post 4 IP   flag post
Question....if the blatant flaws are not listed in the CGC Grader notes, could it be possible that the CGC slab was "cracked open" and a sub 9.0 copy inserted and then closed back up?

Or...could CGC actually admit they failed in the grade assessment and correct it at their expense?

Probably not. Again...another reason to use CBCS. *shrugs*
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector JSGM private msg quote post Address this user
The 9.0 has some dog bit corners and a semi flattened spine. Page and color quality look my 5.5 but obviously a nicer book all round shown here. Still a nice "9.0" I guess.. but that 8.5 looks sharp. Nice spine, straight and has some nice rich colors that looks like it was pulled from the middle of a stack at the local drug store years ago and smuggled on a Tartis to this thread. Both are nice books but there's really no contest here, from what I can see. Congrats
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
9.0 notes:

very light, multiple rust stain back cover
very small piece out left top of back cover
very small tear left bottom of front cover
wear right top of front cover
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
8.5 easy but whats the notes on it, what damage it has where it wouldnt increase in grade if press? just asking
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I love how the "white" pages are off-white and the "off-white" pages are clearly brighter than the supposedly "white" ones.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Is it me or is the picture...but does the CBCS 8.5 have a brighter white cover than the CGC 9.0?

*shrugs*
Tim
@ZosoRocks i do think it is yellowed because MCS takes accurate professional quality pictures.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks

*shrugs*
Tim
@ZosoRocks i do think it is yellowed because MCS takes accurate professional quality pictures.

Thx for the info Sci-fi.

Sooo...how does a grade of 9.0 occurs? Does CGC calculate that defect as a drop? Or not?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
9.0 notes:

very light, multiple rust stain back cover
very small piece out left top of back cover
very small tear left bottom of front cover
wear right top of front cover
@DrWatson WOW! How the frack did the cgc grader miss that ding by the 68???
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Staple breakthroughs on those giant size books aren't hit all that hard.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
8.5 easy but whats the notes on it, what damage it has where it wouldnt increase in grade if press? just asking
@Reelgee -
CBCS FREE Notes:
light spine stress barely breaks color
small foxing middle spine
edge creases top back cover does not break color
many crinkle bends front & back cover
small tear bottom left front cover
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
wow i see none of that it looks great thanks
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
The 8.5 has a cleaner wrap. If we’re only talking presentation; Id go cbcs 8.5. It looks noice
Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
The 8.5 has a cleaner wrap. If we’re only talking presentation; Id go cbcs 8.5. It looks noice

Also that CGC 9.0 is easily a 7.5/8.0

Edit: @scifinator you buying, selling, or just posing a question? If you’re selling I can pay you $1 a day for 8,500 days
Post 17 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'd take that 8.5 all day and I love the title of this thread! 😁
Post 18 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
hands down the yellow one with rounded corners - it says CGC 3 times and has white behind the grade..that's the only white that matters...I'm just sad it doesn't have the patented secret variant newton rings
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Also that CGC 9.0 is easily a 7.5/8.0

Edit: @scifinator you buying, selling, or just posing a question? If you’re selling I can pay you $1 a day for 8,500 days

@HulkSmash - check out my cbcs blind opening thread: Blind opening thread

Yes, the CBCS graded comic is mine and i saw the cgc “9.0” when looking at MCS new listings. I wasn’t thinking of selling, at least not till X-Men hit the MCU, but for the right price or right trade…
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll be pulling a 9.6 or possibly a 9.8 when I submit mine……

Gonna get PAID!!!!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Grading is subjective. No right or wrong answer. We pay for opinions.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
A few things are not balanced in the comparison. First, while magnifying the one book heavily, the other was presented from a more distant view. This is no way to factually compare things in any form of subjective manner. It may/may not affect the comparison, but should both books be given the same attempt at representation?? As for the potentially more white or less white covers, often the lighting in an image can be deceptive or outright misleading. Without seeing both books pictured under the same circustmances it would appear the 8.5 is much whiter, however i could derive the same effect simply using a filter on my graphics display .

Aside from those issues the 8.5 which isnt presented in the near the same magnification does and should look much better and well may for that matter. It also does appear much cleaner and whiter, although we cannot determine this factually without knowing the lighting source, shadowing area and potential off source lighting used for either image.

The images do seem to confirm my theory that CBCS does in fact follow tighter grading standards and has a more consistent adherence to standards most people in the hobby tend to follow, if taken at face value.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Some people will equivocate and say that on the whole the two companies grade equally tight or loose. This is nearly impossible statistically for them to be exactly equal. If both companies were to grade the same 500 books, one would have a tighter average grade than the other, at least a marginal difference. It's almost impossible that the same 500 books would get the same average grade from both companies. On the CBCS board the majority would likely say that they expect the CBCS average grade to be slightly tighter. On the CGC board it would likely be the opposite. For me personally, if given the chance to bet on the outcome, I would wager a decent amount of money that the CBCS average grade would be slightly tighter (lower) than the CGC average grade for the same group of 500 books. If broken into 5 groups of 100 books, I would wager that the CBCS grade would be slightly tighter in at least 4 of the 5 groups. This is purely based on personal observation over the years.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I have found my own experience matches this closely
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - as far as lighting source, both photos were taken in the same county in Texas. 😁😉.

Seriously though the tent or whiteness of the cover wasn’t what struck me. It was the corners, folds, tears and that indent next to the 68 that cgc didn’t even acknowledge on their graders notes.

Getting back to the cover whiteness, i suspect that is due to the encasement. If you look at MCS’s current GSX1 cgc listings compared to their CBCS listings, there is a clear difference in whiteness. Here is a link to thos listings: Direct Link to MCS GSX1 listings

Even still, while the CBCS GSX listings show whiter than the cgc’s, the photo taken by CBCS above also shows whiter than the MCS CBCS examples.

But again, that indent.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I would be curious how many flaws we might spot on the 8.5 however if it were magnified as highly as was done with the other book....maybe none but hard to tell with it being much smaller in size
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - Wellll, I guess I can snap some close up photos of my own.
Post 28 IP   flag post
or just enlarge to the same size as the ones of the other book to make a fair comparison
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I just clicked on your books image and enlarged it. Because my low price 8 year old laptop is sophisticated like that. Your point remains valid, even with enlargement.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?