Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Spec Question16889

Collector Jprez111 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey All,

How do you guys manage with spec books? I am by no means a frequent seller, but will purchase books once in a while to flip.

I have a Miles Morale #6, first appearance of Starling, that I am debating what to do with. I do collect Miles personally, but there is a lot of hype of this issue. Do you guys think it’s worth holding on?

I won’t be upset if it’s not in the collection, but also wouldn’t mind if I tuck it away for the time being either.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I just have a box that says "spec books". I put them in the box and forget about them until I hear something about activity on that character.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprez111
Hey All,

How do you guys manage with spec books? I am by no means a frequent seller, but will purchase books once in a while to flip.

I have a Miles Morale #6, first appearance of Starling, that I am debating what to do with. I do collect Miles personally, but there is a lot of hype of this issue. Do you guys think it’s worth holding on?
I won’t be upset if it’s not in the collection, but also wouldn’t mind if I tuck it away for the time being either.

Me personally just me I would sell and put proceeds to a personal grail. With the movie out from what I've seen the book is flat to cooling off. Just my opinion and based on what I've seen
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Couple different things I do. First, any books I think I might sell are in my office. Books for my PC are at home -- only time they're at my office is if they're on display or if I'm sending them out to be slabbed. I also use the CLZ app to track my collection. You can have multiple collections set up on the app, so I have them separated on there as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Similar - I have my specs in boxes. I go through the boxes every 4-6 months. When a book in 9.8 hits $250 then I send it for grading
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
So far most of my specs are flops. The others are marginal gains. I firmly believe the spec game is break even at best. Even with in depth knowledge; How many issues (were talking every pull box/preorder you can get) do you need to buy to get a book that will reach and sustain UF4 numbers to justify the expense and the years spent sitting on it?

The way I look at it is; how much time, energy, money makes the profit worth while? How many people honestly invested in UF4 alone in expectation of being massively profitable 10 years later? Or! How many people are recouping losses on failed speculation vs total costs of issues that did not take off?

So far I’ve been playing the lotto. I’ve had a couple wins vs the many I lost and I think I’m still negative, but I’m still new to the spec game so maybe I’m missing key factors or I just don’t devote enough of my life to rumors or those worm hole threads that have a link to next story and the next and so on.

Like poka; I have a spec box, but it’s slow moving and I can’t justify the grading expense on many just yet.

Idk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
So far most of my specs are flops. The others are marginal gains. I firmly believe the spec game is break even at best. Even with in depth knowledge; How many issues (were talking every pull box/preorder you can get) do you need to buy to get a book that will reach and sustain UF4 numbers to justify the expense and the years spent sitting on it?

The way I look at it is; how much time, energy, money makes the profit worth while? How many people honestly invested in UF4 alone in expectation of being massively profitable 10 years later? Or! How many people are recouping losses on failed speculation vs total costs of issues that did not take off?

So far I’ve been playing the lotto. I’ve had a couple wins vs the many I lost and I think I’m still negative, but I’m still new to the spec game so maybe I’m missing key factors or I just don’t devote enough of my life to rumors or those worm hole threads that have a link to next story and the next and so on.

Like poka; I have a spec box, but it’s slow moving and I can’t justify the grading expense on many just yet.

Idk.

golden rule is never to grade books until they heat up. 2nd as with all investing - it is the minority of books where you earn your money but those books are where all money is made. which is fine as long as you buy at cover. most of my spec books are bought 4-5 years ahead of where they take off. i am definitely not complaining with the specs. my top scorer remains BP2. i used to have 21 spec boxes. now i am down to 17
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@poka alcohol induced rant. I’m not in this for money nor do I have the attention span to speculate much.
Post 8 IP   flag post
600524 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?